Aurora and Norwegian Fjords

Strawberry field

Hi

Still being new to cruising I have a question which has just popped into my head. The Aurora gets back from her world cruise on the morning of April 22nd and we are sailing to the Fjords the same afternoon.

As she has been on a world cruise does that mean a new crew goes on board for our cruise also is she up to her best considering she's been away for a few months?

Silly questions I know but once they pop into your head you need an answer 😊

Thanks

We are on the same cruise. I am no expert. I believe there are several partial crew changes at different ports during a world cruise. I would also expect some crew changes that day in Southampton. Officers coming back on Aurora that day in Southampton will perhaps be the officers from the start of the world cruise. Some crew work very long contracts and will do the whole world cruise plus many of the cruises before and after. All of this is just what I have read elsewhere.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Stephen :)

I was thinking the whole crew changed over at the same time but of course that wouldn't make sense due to the smooth running of the ship.

I hope you have a good cruise and thanks again :)

There are new members of crew arrive at the start of every cruise. And as on the world cruise there can be crew changes mid cruise if it is a long one. We had a few changes when we cruised to the Caribbean on a 28 night cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You say you are new to cruising. Have you been to the fjords before. It should be a fantastic cruise. The scenery is magnificent. We have only booked one excursion. The Flam railway has been on my list for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes I went last year and had a fantastic time. My wife wasn't interested in a cruise and I couldn't talk her into it so we agreed that I should go as it was something I always wanted to do. I came back and couldn't stop talking about it so a month after my return we booked this years. She's looking forward to it but at the same time a little nervous to be honest. Hopefully she will enjoy it and will experience what I did last year. If she does like it we will then book for our 50th in two years time 😊

I did the Flam railway 'Norway in a nutshell' excursion and to be quite honest was disappointed in the train. However the coach trip back to Flam was just fantastic and stands out as my trip highlight.

I won't say why I was disappointed in the train as we are all different and it's purely a personal view and I know most people love it so. Enough to say lunch was well organised with excellent food and as I said the coach trip alone made it so worth the cost.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time last year. Norway is our favourite destination for a cruise. In Flam I am booked on the train up and cycle down excursion. My partner did not fancy the cycle so she is on train both ways. I thought she might do the Nutshell but she wanted to do the train both ways.

Best wishes, Stephen..

Sounds like you had a wonderful time last year. Norway is our favourite destination for a cruise. In Flam I am booked on the train up and cycle down excursion. My partner did not fancy the cycle so she is on train both ways. I thought she might do the Nutshell but she wanted to do the train both ways.

Best wishes, Stephen..

If I remember correctly the train both ways means you stay on the same scenic train rather than changing trains. This in my opinion is the better option as the second train I went on was definitely not the scenic variety. That of course means they will miss out on the coach back down which is a shame.

If I was doing it again which I'm not I would choose one of your choices rather than the 'nutshell' tour. I must hasten to add none of the problems which occurred on my train trip were down to P&O. Thinking back most of the problems on my nutshell excursion was down to the train from Flam having a fault meaning we left Flam 40 minutes late and from then on everything seemed to be in a rush.

This time we are not doing an excursion from Flam as we want to have a look around and walk down to the village which I couldn't do last time.