Bidding on upgrade

Hwinf

We've booked a large balcony cabin. Our upgrade email only offered opportunity to bid on Haven and a regular mini suite. I'm only interested in bidding on spa balcony which was not an option. There appears to be plenty available. Anyone know why?

I am in the same situation. I believe the new Upgrade Advantage e-mail only allows you the opportunity to bid on categories technically higher than yours.

I would assume that the Spa Balcony would be considered the same category as your balcony, just as they would probably not offer a person booked in a regular balcony the opportunity to bid on a large balcony.

Hope this helps!

We've booked a large balcony cabin. Our upgrade email only offered opportunity to bid on Haven and a regular mini suite. I'm only interested in bidding on spa balcony which was not an option. There appears to be plenty available. Anyone know why?

If your bid to upgrade is like the offer that I received , you may want to consider the Haven Spa (H9). It will allow you access to the Thermal Suite, plus all of the privileges of the Haven. Keep in mind that if you were to buy a Thermal Suite pass, it would cost you at least $200.00pp, so consider that when placing a bid for a Haven Spa.

I'm new to NCL, how does upgrade bidding work?

It's new program for NCL. A few weeks before your cruise you will receive an email invitation to bid on upgrade. Just Google "NCL Upgrade Prgram" and you can get more info.

I'm seeing lots of contradictory information on when the emails go out. One comment is that they go out when final payment is made. We made final payment last November. No email. I've also seen 60 and 90 days before cruise and I think I even saw one comment about when everything was paid for (which on the face of it is absurd - if everything was paid for, there wouldn't be anything left to bid on). I read the website info but if there was anything saying when the emails go out, I missed it.

Does anyone have an answer from a definitive source?

I'm seeing lots of contradictory information on when the emails go out. One comment is that they go out when final payment is made. We made final payment last November. No email. I've also seen 60 and 90 days before cruise and I think I even saw one comment about when everything was paid for (which on the face of it is absurd - if everything was paid for, there wouldn't be anything left to bid on). I read the website info but if there was anything saying when the emails go out, I missed it.

Does anyone have an answer from a definitive source?

We got our email 80 days prior to sailing, and that's what I've read from many others.

One thing to remember is that the emails will not go to everyone.

They are using some sort of unknown system to decide who to send the emails to. For example, some think this is based on what type of cabin you are currently in (and how popular it would be for them to resell), and/or how much you originally paid. Their goal is to maximize their profit and fill every cabin possible prior to sailing.

We are approximately about 70 days out from sailing on the Jade and I have not received any bidding emails . I'm thinking we probably won't get one. It doesn't matter either way . We always book balconies or suites this time we booked an inside with pre paid gratuities. We are doing a "squeezed in vacation " for just my husband and I.... The inside cabins are going for a couple of hundred more per person then from when we booked . So I guess there's not a big demand for inside cabins on our sailing. A window would be nice , but for the amount of time we actually spend in the cabin, we figured we'd put the money back into the trip vs. the cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Spoke to a NCL staff member about this since I too had questions. She explained to me that the emails begin going out 80 days prior to departure. Thus, they can go out for some on the 80 day and to others less than 80 days, i.e. 70, 60, etc. she also explain that it's an invitational offer and is sent randomly. Thus, if you don't get the email, you can't participate nor can you ask for one to be sent. Hope this helps!

We sail on the 4th of March. We received our email in early December. We haven't heard about our bid yet - we only bid on the Haven, but I have read that some bids on other cabins have already been accepted. One of my friends for her previous cruise received the email, and she found out about 3 days before that her bid was accepted. I'm crossing my fingers.

Remember, this is only available on a few ships. The other ships you can still call the upgrade line and ask for the pricing on upgrading. We did this on Escape last year, and it was a lot less than what they are asking for through the upgrade program or what they are saying is a "good bid." I heard they are rolling the program out to the other ships throughout the year.