Just to Clarify

SS Cruise Lady

I don't want anyone to think that my posts which criticize the tactics of some travel agents are an attack on all travel agents. There are quite a few wonderful travel agents who frequently post very helpful information, and, in my opinion, are a great asset to this board. My problem is with those who use travel boards as a marketing tool, in spite of the boards guidelines, and do it in such a insidious manner that they pull the wool over most poster's eyes.

I don't think TA's should be allowed to try to drum up business, even through doing "nice things" on the boards because then, when will we ever be able to believe the advice of people? That's why I take the ports of call boards with a grain of salt. Seems like a lot of people are just trying to fill of their excursions and could easily be tour operators trying to drum up business.

There is no proof that this was a "marketing tool", only your suspicion. Why can't you also see it as a nice thing one person did for another?
Yes cruise lady, I would have to ask the same question. Only been a CC member for a year and have never ever been solicited to, marketed to or otherwise sold a cruise by any agent on this board or any other travel related forum.

Is this a particular problem you have been having with Cruise Critic? If so, I think it is time to begin naming names by contacting the administrators. Tell them that you are receiving unsolicitied marketing ...who, what, where, when...

Evidently you are having difficulties with these travel agents. I do not have first hand experience with this problem, but I am able to at least point you in the right direction to the people who can...the ADMINISTRATORS. That is what they are here for.

To make it easy for you there is an icon report.gif next to each thread number. Click on that thread icon and it will open a form to auto direct your post to the administrators. This would be a very simple way for you to report TA's using their posts as marketing tools.

I am a TA and think I missed something. Was there someone who was attempting to drum up business via CC? I certainly don't think I ever had, but I have given my opinions and have never hid the fact I was an agent. NMnita

Hi NMnita,........perhaps you might want to look at the last few posts of the OP of this thread to have a better understanding of this thread.

I personally have not seen any TA's or anyone else attempting to gain any bussiness via CC and I also appreciate the comments of most TA's on this board, especially when they are sharing their professional knowledge with us.

Wes

There have been TA's who had coupon books offering them to folks. I think that's where it started.

That was the one I had in mind when I started this thread. This wasn't the only time a TA has used a clever marketing scheme to circumvent cruise critics's guidelines about travel agents using these boards to recruit business, but it is the most recent and probably the most insidious. Keep in the mind that this travel agent's representative did not only collect the names and E-mail addresses for their ten "winners". A calender day had lapsed between when she posted her original offer and subsequently informed everyone that ten people booked on a specific cruise had already won. Therefore, she probably collected quite a few other names and E-mail addresses as well of people who are very likely to book another cruise in the near future. Then to top it off, she received a bonus for her marketing ploy whenever people posted their thanks and praised her "random act of kindness".

Archived