Prague

Jancruz

We spent New Year in Prague last year, and were very lucky with the weather - cold but dry. We stayed at the Hotel Carlo IV, which is good but expensive. You might like to look at http://www.pragueexperience.com which lists lots of hotels, tours etc. We used it extensively for research before we went, but did much of our booking locally when we arrived.

Prague is a wonderful city, and the tram network makes it very easy to get around, although much of the centre is walking distance.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer.

have visited Prague only twice - loved the old Jewish neighborhood for the neat little kiosks and food offerings. Museums are very affordable - Must buy: crystal, puppets, hand painted eggs. Very easy to get around on foot; however, we did use a handheld GPS, but not necessary - Enjoyed many different foods, including the sidewalk sauages (dee-licious). Dumplings are a "must try". Prepare to pay in cash as we found many places did not accept credit cards. There are very many hotels - depends on the experience you desire, as well $$$$. Fromers is an excellent source of information, as well pragueexperience.com as Sekhmet suggests. Lots of different sights to see and experience - lots of day trips from Prague available. Are you only visiting Prague? It is noted for the Spa Area, but have never been. There's a wonderful face cream that local women swear by (I forget the name) but if someone recommends this to you, I think it's worth trying;)

Thank you both..I am getting very excited..this is going to be a VERY long trip for us..about 6 weeks..so putting the pieces together is fun..We are also going to Budapest if anyone has any suggestions there..I am off to buy Frommers..

Thanks again,

Jan

Buda-Pest. Lucky.Lucky You!! Must buy: Paprika - both sweet and hot - you can't duplicate the taste/flavor in the states. Be sure to day trip to Szentendre. There's a wonderful little restaurant in which you will enjoy typical Hugarian goulash which is served in a kettle. Interesting photo ops inside. The face cream can be purchased in this area - just ask your guide for the face cream that all the women swear by:rolleyes: - I remember purchasing some very lovely handmade beaded necklaces. They were beaded in a straight string (many shapes and colors) and one wrapped them around the neck for the desired look. Think I paid the equivalent of around $1.50 per string. Nice to bring home for 'gifts'. Back in town, there's a most extravagent McDonald's - complete with a McCafe (great coffee!) This is located on the walking street that would lead to the chain bridge. (free internet w/meal) There's a Tony Curtis Jewish Temple (so nicknamed, you will discover why) - no matter your faith, it's worth a visit. Back on the walking street, I remember eating at the Casablanca. I recommend the food, but they don't speak very much English, so with sign language, alot of smiling, and sorta thinking we could figure out from the menu, we ended up with goulash and bread, which was simply fine for us - we prefer "on the economy". You walked down a flight of stairs and it was small and sorta smokey but not terribly bad. What good fortune gives you 6 weeks in that area?

My husband had a major heart attack in February and is fully recovered so this will be our first major trip since then..Our itinerary is amazing..we fly to Budapest to board Viking River cruises on October 13..disembark in Vienna on the 29th of October..having been there before several of us (there is a group going) will continue on by bus to Prague..on November 3 hubby and I fly to Barcelona and board Oceania Regatta for a Barcelona to Lisbon trip and then continue on Regatta for another 10 days across the Ocean to rest before getting off November 25th in Miami

It is a long trip but not too strenuous for him..

I am really looking forward to being in these areas we have never been in before in Eastern Europe..Will do all our shopping there..with the exception of one artist in Barcelona on Las Ramblas whos work we love..may buy another painting..

Jan

what a nice trip you are mapping out - kudos to DH's ability to make such a cruise. We luv the Prague/Budapest/Vienna route. Never done a European cruise, but make several trips across TheBigPond yearly. We prefer to take land tours; sometimes w/an organized group - other times, independently. For side trips, we always go w/an organized tour arranged through the hotel concierge. Vienna's food is wonderful! of course the obligatory sweet treats, of which there are many, y'know:rolleyes: I remember at night how loud the winds were blowing down from the Vienna Woods. The best evening was spent at a restaurant-winery in the Vienna Woods. (it's a touristy thing) - All I remember is being told "new wine" - OMG .... it was good and you drank it from mugs! the food, the beer 'n wine.....(think I remember dancing?) I don't remember getting home, but I did not have a headache in the morning. Boy! sure makes me want to go back!!!!!!! We've visited most European capital cities more than once (not brag, just fact) - it's hard to say which was the most fav.....waking up in Amsterdam (one block from Anne Frank's house) to church bells was very special. The Hermitage in St Petersburg is on everyone's MustDo but walking through Red Square in Moscow and catching snow flakes on my tongue was pretty special, too. I still remember how transfixed I was standing in the gardens of the Summer Palace, with snow falling, listening to a solo violinst play Laura's theme. WOW! The Euro exchange was so bad this year, we didn't do anything ATBP and booked China for next year. Happy to report the Euro is coming back to a better xchange. I'd luv to hear more about Your trip as you care to share:)

Try to go to the Central Market Hall. Downstairs you will find all sorts of food stuffs and numerous paprika stalls. Upstairs you will find linens and other souvenirs for sale. We did most of our souvenir shopping here while on a Viking Cruise several years ago.

One caution about Viking, especially because of your husband's health.

Viking had a non-included excursion in Budapest. We wanted to visit the Central Market, so chose not to take the excursion. We got off the vessel and walked to the Central Market. When we returned to the proper dock, we found that the ship had moved.

We eventually linked up with roughly 20 other passengers who were wandering up and down looking for the vessel. We organized ourselves, worked out some signals, and after about 45 minutes found the ship.

Viking had been required to move and did not leave any signs, or a crew person, to direct passengers to the new location which was roughly 3/4 mile away from the original berth. Viking had called the tour bus and notified the driver. Unfortunately, they forgot that quite a few people had not taken the excursion.

I've since read on these boards, that this has happened quite a few times on Viking Cruises. I have not read anything comparable with Uniworld, Amadeaus, Globus, etc. You will find that Viking does a good job with food, service, included excursions, etc.

If you haven't been to the book store yet, consider Rick Steves' book for this area. We had three nights in Prague prior to boarding our Viking Cruise. We pretty much followed his advice and fell in love with the city.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still having a difficult time finding a reasonable hotel in Prague..does anyone know of one. We will definitely need an elevator and would like a price range of $125 to $150 per night can anyone help..I have hired Saraguide who was suggested in Rick Steves book and she seems delightful..we will be flying to Barcelona from Prague..has anyone ever used Gorilla??

Thanks,

Jan

I am still having a difficult time finding a reasonable hotel in Prague..does anyone know of one. We will definitely need an elevator and would like a price range of $125 to $150 per night can anyone help..I have hired Saraguide who was suggested in Rick Steves book and she seems delightful..we will be flying to Barcelona from Prague..has anyone ever used Gorilla??

Thanks,

Jan

Check out the Diplomat hotel which we booked for about $120.00 per night for next July. Modern Hotel about 3 train stops from central area of Prague. Very good reviews on Trip Advisor.

We just returned from Prague yesterday (12-13-05). We were part of a Uniworld Christmas Markets cruise, which had two nights in Prague. We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel. Very nice place. Great Czech pub in hotel. It was a 5 minute walk to the Old Town Square. It was a great location. I think the Diplomat is pretty far away from the Old Town Square.

• 1 month later...

Archived