Cruise Director Nick Weir - Constellation

Schplinky

I understand this fellow is newly instated as CD on Connie. Any first impressions? I'm wondering what his particular style is and as I type that, I'm sort of sketchy about what I mean. Does he do anything different than the average CD, is he particularly good or bad at the schtick they all seem to do, etc.

I found him to be the same as all the rest, maybe a little bit better than most. My impression of most CD's is that they are people that wish they were professional entertainers and this is as close as they can get. The entertainment on the ship was quite good, but I have to assume that if was arranged by his predecessor since he just got on board.

I don't really want or need anything beyond the Friends of Dorothy meeting, although I wish they woudn't call them that. I know they're trying to be cryptic so those who would object to them won't know but on our last cruise, we pointed it out to [gay] friends and they had no idea what the term meant.

Maybe it should be updated to Friends of Madonna?

Nick and Simon Weir are brothers from Australia who both work as CD's on Celebrity ships---following in their father's footsteps. Nick had/has a TV show in great Britain. Nick is the more boisterous of the 2, doing a bit of slapstick and pratfalls occasionally.

Nick was rather subdued during this sailing - probably because he just got on the ship on the day we embarked. He's been CD on several sailings I've been on, and my guess is that he won't have any problem organizing a Friends of Dorothy (or Madonna) get-together for you.

Nick is a pro with great training as his parents and brother like him have been brought up in the business. While on stage he has great enthusiasim. He backs the staff and they love him for that. Lets give him a little more time to interact with the guests off stage.

Nick and Simon Weir are brothers from Australia who both work as CD's on Celebrity ships---following in their father's footsteps. Nick had/has a TV show in great Britain. Nick is the more boisterous of the 2, doing a bit of slapstick and pratfalls occasionally.

Nick was CD on our Galaxy cruise last year. I certainly agree with Char. He spends a lot of time being a loud and slapstick comedian and at the time was not really "pitching" his act toward cruisers. Perhaps by now he has become more accustomed to "performing" at sea.

Pincus

I don't really want or need anything beyond the Friends of Dorothy meeting, although I wish they woudn't call them that. I know they're trying to be cryptic so those who would object to them won't know but on our last cruise, we pointed it out to [gay] friends and they had no idea what the term meant.

Maybe it should be updated to Friends of Madonna?

Or, maybe Friends of Liza???;)

We have just returned from the relocation cruise of the Constellation from beautiful downtown Bayonne to San Juan.

In answer to your question about Nick, he introduced the stage shows every night(which were good to excellent) and closed them with a summary of the evening's late activities. He seemed like a funny high energy fellow.

He did not work any of the other functions, few as there were on this nine night sailing. The assistant CD ran the midnight tropical pool party, the 50s-60s sock hop and the one daytime attempted pool event which after 15 minutes of cajoling turned up 3 volunteers. This was it for pax participation activity.

There were 18 trivia games, all run by the CD staff.

By and large (and I do mean Large) this was the most sedentary crowd we have ever seen on our 21 cruises and that includes 2 HAL sailings with a lot of senior senior citizens. DW commented that she had never seen so many really fat people on a ship.

No wonder whenever the topic of cruise line comparisons comes up on this section of CC 95% of the comments relate to food.

Six of us who are experienced cruisers ran into many newbies on this trip who were attracted by the convenient departure and low price, as we were. They all said that if cruising involves nothing more than eating and stage shows then why abandon Vegas and the like. We spent much time with them explaining that there are other lines such as RCI and Princess (not the banana boats of the fun ship crowd) that are just as nice and where the pax do more than sit around waiting for the next meal.

This was our second X cruise after a 10 year gap and our last. Nick Weir is totally wasted on this ship if this all that X does. Put him on RCI and see what he does with their activity schedule. The Quest lives.

Mr Incredible and Elastigirl.

I also just got off the repositioning cruise yesterday. I thought he was very good; alot more subdued than some of the other CD's on other cruises I have been on. i felt he did the job and did it well without being overbearing or obnoxious. By the way, this was my second time on the Constellation and it was even better than the first time. Everything on this ship is amazing and I am already considering booking it for next year.

Hey Big Booper (aka Mr. Incredible),

"By and large (and I do mean Large) this was the most sedentary crowd we have ever seen on our 21 cruises and that includes 2 HAL sailings with a lot of senior senior citizens. DW commented that she had never seen so many really fat people on a ship. "

You and your wife must have been handing out plates at the buffet line to notice all the "fat sedentary senior citizens".;) Making generalizations about the few people that you saw and met does not mean that all of us fit into your profile of the sailing. I am none of the above and neither were the group of people that were traveling along with me.

Sorry I'm a little off topic.

I have been few times on Celebrity cruises, and few times on RCI's and others........and I can not think of any important things that the Cruise Director did or did not do, that affected my cruising experience.

What are the good or bad attributes of a CD that I should be looking for ? Perhaps I just was not paying much attention to the function of a CD. I do know that it is an important position and that is the person that is responsible for the organization of the whole cruise, and he got few assistants to help him with that.........but what makes 'him/her' good or bad ? His 'acting' on the stage ? Making 'small talk' with the pax ? Being visiable 'a lot' ? Or just having everything in good control and having the cruise running very smoothly ?

Please give me some pointers.

It seems to me that my fellow cruisers can make a bigger diffrence than the CD.

Wes

The Big Booper,

I work very hard at a pretty high stress job so one of the things that I enjoy on a cruise is that I have so little to do. It forces me to relax!!

I do love food and that is also something that appeals to me about a cruise and I make no apologies about that.

As far as comparing a cruise with Las Vegas I just don't see it at all. I have been to both and a cruise can be very therapeutic and relaxing where Vegas is non stop go, go, go.

I do like the various entertainment shows but personally have no desire to participate in any. Obviously you and some other people feel differently and more power to you. Perhaps Celebrity is aiming for a different niche of the market than what you represent.

I do love RCCL and the Brilliance of the Seas is the most beautiful ship I have ever been on or seen. I can understand why you like RCCL although I must say the seven day t/a cruise I last took on them wasn't overloaded with passenger participatory activies that I can recall. You might not have been happy on it either. (I did catch the end of the passenger talent show though and laughed myself silly at an old Irish guy's jokes).

So anyway, don't make fun of the short chubby guy eating a lot on your next cruise as it might be me!!!!

Choice of programs is great. Different strokes for different folks, as the old sitcom said. That being the case, if this was a typical X cruise, we will not be on Celebrity again.

My point on Vegas was, in talking to different pax, there were 6 couples in their forties we talked to who were all cruise newbies because they believed that all cruisers did was eat and sit around waiting for the next meal. DW and myself and two other cruise veterans spent hours spread over the 4 sea days talking about other more active lines. Two of the newbies said that all they saw on this ship was eating and stage shows and for that they could go to Vegas for a lot less and have more fun.

DW and I believe that there is a happy medium between the banana boats and a total sedentary experience; anytime that HAL seems more active then the ship we were on, then something is not right.

Different strokes for different folks. And I still believe that Nick is a very talented man based on the limited exposure we had to him (we did go to all the shows) and I would love to see him on RCI where he could showcase his talents to the utmost.

As for Schplinky (sp?) catch Perry in Michael's Club, a worshipper of Judy Garland and a very funny performer.

Archived