Quality, unique jewelry in Alaska

jmpiterniak

Going in June and will be stopping at Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. Then arriving Anchorage and doing a cruisetour on HAL to Denali. Very excited!!! When I travel, my favorite souvenir is a piece of fine jewelry that I can wear every day.

Would like something unique and local, and I love yellow gold. Any ideas? Perhaps a ring, earrings or bracelet and I'm thinking gold nugget and/or gold-in-quartz. Budget would be $300-$600. If anyone has had a good experience in a shop along these stops, preferably locally-owned business, I would love to hear about it. Thank you!!

My wife usually buys Russian amber from a little privately owned store in Juneau. In Skagway there are a couple small local jewelers that sell locally produced .

Diamonds International has started stores in Skagway , Juneau and Ketcican .

Thanks for the quick reply; the amber sounds intriquing!!! I will steer toward the small stores; if she can remember the names of any, please pass them along.

Thanks for the quick reply; the amber sounds intriquing!!! I will steer toward the small stores; if she can remember the names of any, please pass them along.

It is called "House of Russia ". It is was located across the street from a sketchy looking perfume shop. It also has other Russian artifacts for sale.

In Skagway my wife shops at a little shop located almost at the edge of town on Broadway near 7th.

Jewelry featuring Athabascan beadwork is unique to Alaska. The beadwork is done with tiny beads, very artistic, finely done. Earrings and necklaces are most common. Also, fossilized walrus ivory pieces may be found in some shops. I have a brooch that combines the beadwork with the fossilized ivory, beautiful. Fossilized ivory should be accompanied by a certificate of authenticity and origin. These items are one of a kind, made by artisans in Alaska, and very special. Museum shops and Alaskan native art galleries would feature this jewelry, rather than jewelry stores. (Many of the jewelry stores in cruise ship ports are owned by non-Alaskans and are open for cruise season only.)

A website with examples of fossilized ivory jewelry:

https://alaskatradingco.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=alaskan-jewelry

This website shows two logos that are used to mark Alaska made items:

http://alaskamade.com/

My favorite shop for Alaskan native art is the gift shop at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage.

TripAdvisor has reviews and description:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60880-d8481798-Reviews-Alaska_Native_Medical_Center_Craft_Shop-Anchorage_Alaska.html

In Ketchikan you may consider browsing through some of the shops along Creek Street. Some sell mass produced made in Asia items while others will have some interesting Alaskan made items. Several years ago I purchased a wonderful pair of Tlingit hand carved sterling earrings from Norman Jackson's shop "Carver on the Creek" (located on Creek Street).

In Juneau the Juneau Artists Gallery is a cooperative of 20+ local artists. Participating artists varies through the years, but in the past they have had some interesting jewelry. If they are still in their Franklin Street location they will be easy to access. Just "google" them for their location.

And one more quick comment -- while jade was our state gem in the past, very little of the jade found in Alaskan gift stores is actually from Alaska. Despite some rather creative signage in some of these shops virtually all of the jade sold in the tourist stores in Alaska is jade from British Columbia.

In Ketchikan you may consider browsing through some of the shops along Creek Street. Some sell mass produced made in Asia items while others will have some interesting Alaskan made items. Several years ago I purchased a wonderful pair of Tlingit hand carved sterling earrings from Norman Jackson's shop "Carver on the Creek" (located on Creek Street).

In Juneau the Juneau Artists Gallery is a cooperative of 20+ local artists. Participating artists varies through the years, but in the past they have had some interesting jewelry. If they are still in their Franklin Street location they will be easy to access. Just "google" them for their location.

And one more quick comment -- while jade was our state gem in the past, very little of the jade found in Alaskan gift stores is actually from Alaska. Despite some rather creative signage in some of these shops virtually all of the jade sold in the tourist stores in Alaska is jade from British Columbia.

The artists cooperative sounds perfect...and I was hoping Creek Street had artsy shops. Photos I have seen give it that sort of look.

Also found a site called Metal Arts Group that might be the cooperative you mentioned. Looks like it's got potential...know it will be fun to browse!!!! ;)