Carnival Fantasy for sale

Thehyperfisherman

The conundrum that Carnival and other major lines are facing is that they have no start ups looking to buy their old tonnage. Viking Ocean is new to cruising and they have all newbuilds. Virgin is going with all newbuilds. No one wants the old stuff anymore. Except Bahamas Paradise. If they can just keep from crashing their ship. ;)

There's always the ship breakers. They'd pay at least a few million for a ship like the Fantasy. Point is Carnival isn't stuck with the Fantasy class. They are keeping the ships, and refurbishing them, because they make money.

The day they stop making money is the day they're removed from the fleet, just like the Holiday class. I'd say we're probably 5 years+ before the first Fantasy class vessel leaves the fleet.

Carnival should sell a lot of there old clunkers.

Clunkers? Carnival's oldest ship is indeed the Fantasy. At 27, I'd hardly call her a clunker. It's about how a ship is maintained and upgraded, not about her age. A ship her size serves short 3 to 5 day cruises very well, and can access ports that some larger ships cannot. You must be one of those pretentious types that wouldn't drive a car that's more than 4 or 5 years old, no matter how nice it is or how well it is maintained. :(

I love the Fantasy class ships. I'm amazed that people describe them as small or old - I guess it just shows how much the industry is changing. In the 90's this class was considered mega-ships of the cruise industry.

I imagine they may start phasing some out when the operating costs get too high. They have so many Fantasy class that it makes maintenance more economical (unlike when they just had one Holiday class left - it's possible a lot of maintenance parts from Fantasy class would not work on Holiday class, but this is just speculation).