Shanghai water towns

Hobar

Any suggestions on which are best? (We'd like to go to Xiang where Mission Impossible 3 was filmed so wondering if that is one of the more interesting ones.)

Also, do we need a guide, or can we get enough of an immersion just by walking around ourselves?

Sent from my dogs' iPad, but they let me share.

When we visited Shanghai via cruise ship a few years ago, we went to the watertown of Zhujiajiao. After exhaustive research, we decided it would be best to do this with a private guide. We were met at the cruise terminal by our guide with a private car and driver for the 1-hour trip to Zhujiajiao. Once there, our guide walked us around the endless alleys of the watertown, organized a boat trip along the canals and introduced us to customs of local residents. The trip was highlighted by her selection of a fabulous, yet very inexpensive, noodle bar for lunch. I'm sure we could have seen Zhujiajiao by ourselves but having a guide made getting there and seeing things so much easier. We're very happy we went that route rather than navigating alone.

When we visited Shanghai via cruise ship a few years ago, we went to the watertown of Zhujiajiao. After exhaustive research, we decided it would be best to do this with a private guide. We were met at the cruise terminal by our guide with a private car and driver for the 1-hour trip to Zhujiajiao. Once there, our guide walked us around the endless alleys of the watertown, organized a boat trip along the canals and introduced us to customs of local residents. The trip was highlighted by her selection of a fabulous, yet very inexpensive, noodle bar for lunch. I'm sure we could have seen Zhujiajiao by ourselves but having a guide made getting there and seeing things so much easier. We're very happy we went that route rather than navigating alone.

Thank you for the advice. We will be in Shanghai fir a few days before our cruise and will look into Zhujiajiao. I am also looking into doing two water towns in one day, and am grateful for your input.

Sent from my dogs' iPad, but they let me share.

When we were in Shanghai (non cruise) we went to Qibao. Short trip on the train, very easy to find. Our hotel concierge wanted to set us up on a tour that would cost us hundreds of $$, the train was less than $1 and we had a great time wandering around sampling the street food and seeing the sights.

MightyQuinn - Could you be so kind as to share any contact info you have for the guide service that you used. We plan to visit at least one (or perhaps more) of the water towns before we embark in Shanghai next year. Thanks.

MightyQuinn - Could you be so kind as to share any contact info you have for the guide service that you used. We plan to visit at least one (or perhaps more) of the water towns before we embark in Shanghai next year. Thanks.
Freddie, we used Shanghai Lander http://www.shanghai-lander.com and our guide was the owner Jean Liu at info@shanghai-lander.com. We worked with her by email to customize our itineraries using their standard tours as a starting point. She was very responsive in modifying their tours to accommodate our specific interests. Over the course of two days, we went to Zhujiajiao water town, toured the French Concession area, explored the modern architecture of Shanghai and rode the Maglev train. Jean was fantastic and our on-the-ground experience was excellent. I highly recommend them.