Explorer vs Navigator of the Seas

Travel luv

We've been on both and liked the Navigator a little better, mainly for the decor. The one thing we liked better on the Explorer was the labs.

http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/rccl/

There's pictures of both ships here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/rcicruisers

They both were fine when we were on them. We would go on either again.

Basically you are looking at 2 identical ships with few differences being:

1) The Explorer has a kids pool and small waterslide on deck 12 aft, the Navigator Does not. If you have younger kids, i would reccomend the Explorer.

2) The navigator is 2 years newer than the explorer, however, I was just on the Explorer and it was in great condition!

3) A few of the bars are different, have different set ups, but not that different.

4) The Navigator has an asian area for dining, the Explorer does not.

Between the ships they have a few small differences here and there, but they are basically the same ship!

I loved BOTH ships, If I were to rate them they would be tied for being my favorite RCCL Ships, so I would chose based on the Itenerary!

Scott

Between the two, I would choose the Navigator based on itinerary even though they both stop at the same places because of the order of the stops. Navigator does all its US stops before it goes to a foreign port so you won't have to go through immigration on the ship during the middle of the week which requires you to get up really early if you have an early excursion. Explorer stops in St. Maarten before stopping in St. Thomas so you'll have to go through immigration in St. Thomas before you can get off the ship. It's a minor point irritation but if price is the same that is why I would choose Navigator over Explorer.

As to differences in the ships: If you have teens, Navigator has a larger teen area than Explorer. If you have younger kids, Explorer has a waterslide/kids pool area instead of the larger teen area. Navigator has Chops in addition to Portofino's unlike Explorer which only has Portofino's. Explorer has the University of Miami Labs.

I also have been on both ships. I went on the Navigator in her first 6 months in service and the Explorer the week prior to her dry dock this year.

I would have to recomend the Explorer due to the crew. The crew seemed happier and were friendlier on the Explorer. The ship overall just had a more relaxing atmosphere in my opinion.

We've been on both and loved both of them. The Navigator is newer, but really I thought that the Explorer looked just as nice. In the end, I know at least in our case, it comes down to ports and our personal schedule. I don't think you can go wrong on either ship.

Happy Planning!!

If you are going to be in a balcony cabin, we recommend going on Navigator. The balconies on the Explorer are part of the structure which means they are made out of steel and you cannot see out the lower part of the balcony from your cabin. The Navigator is made out of glass and makes it easier and more beautiful to look out of, especially if you are a person that is undertall lke we are. LOL

Tim & Crystal

My vote is for the Navigator. I prefer he overall decor and the improvements made to her over the older 3 ship. I love Boleros and the set up of the Windjammer with the Jade and Plaza Bar areas. I also like having both Chops and Portofino and the balconies with the glass walls can't be beat.

My vote is for the Navigator. I prefer he overall decor and the improvements made to her over the older 3 ship. I love Boleros and the set up of the Windjammer with the Jade and Plaza Bar areas. I also like having both Chops and Portofino and the balconies with the glass walls can't be beat.

Archived