Bringing my laptop

newatt_now

I've taken my laptop on the Vision and the Radiance. No problem. I have left it on the desk, in plain sight, without a problem. However, just to be safe, I usually just stick it in the case, when I'm out of the room. I'm sure it'll be fine. I've never heard of one being stolen from the cabin. Have fun!!!

I brought my laptop on the Mariner in May .. no problems. I have a cable that locks to the laptop but had a difficult time finding something to loop it around, as is required. I ended up using the desk chair since it at least would have looked odd with someone carrying that down the hall. I would recommend a locking cable for a laptop wherever you travel.

The only reason I brought it was to download digital pictures. I was happy I did as the charge either $10 or $15 dollars to transfer from a flash card to CD in the photo area. Between myself and the couple we cruised with I downloaded 5-6 times (50 or 60 dollars (SEVERAL margaritas worth!!) made it worth it to 'lug' the laptop along).

Another note, I would not "check" my laptop for airline travel. A friend lost his entire hard drive with the stronger security and x-ray they now seem to use. This was for checked luggage only, carry on security seems fine.

We've taken ours on every cruise we've been on without incident. I plan on leaving it at home next cruise because I have plenty (almost 3 GB) of memory cards for my digital camera now and it's only a 4 night cruise. I just don't want to lug the laptop on the plane if I it's not necessary. This time I just don't see myself taking 2,000 picutres of the Ship, Key West and Cozumel.

I like to take my laptop also. Besides what everyone has said about downloading digital pictures, I also use it for internet. On a 7 day cruise, we paid $100 for unlimited use. Granted, it is not that fast, but it's better than nothing and when you are not being charged per minute, it makes it more palitable. Plus, I can use it while sitting in my pj's, which I don't think would be too accepted in the internet cafe. ;) I loved writing and receiving email from friends and family without leaving the comfort of our cabin.

I like to go on a cruise to get away from the computer. Leave it at home and just bring enough memory cards along to take care of any pictures you might take. One less thing to take along and if you must use a computer just go to the computer lab. I guess for me computers and vacations just don't seem to go together.

We just got back from the Legend and we also took our laptop. Sometimes we left it out in plain sight and never had a problem. The only problem we had was connecting to wifi. The satellite was down for the first couple days too.

We spent 12 nights on Serenade last month, and both my husband and my son took their laptops - we had connecting rooms, and both laptops were left on the dressing tables for the holiday, no problem at all.

We were able to receive emails most days (although there was no satellite signal approaching Panama), but some glitch prevented us from sending them - which seemed to be a common problem on board.

However they were handy for downloading our many MANY photos!

Sandra

Archived