Mexican Riveria in January

lukesgrammie

I am trying to find my way around this sight so this may be my second post on the same subject. We have cruised several times, but I think I may have made a huge mistake with this trip. We are on the Dawn Princess for the January 19 sailing out of San Francisco. We are from Michigan and looking forward to again getting out of the deep freeze. I didn't realize how awful the climate is in San Fran so it must be really bad in January. How are the seas on that trip...we are on the aloha deck with a balcony...rough ride???should I move down??? Does the Dawn have aft balconies? How far south do you have to go before you are able to enjoy the weather. Any encouragement would be helpful!!!!!!!!!

You should expect some chop just outside the Golden Gate, in an area known locally as the "potato patch", where currents from San Francisco Bay collide with those of the Japanese Current, which flows South along the Left Coast.

Generally speaking, should be fairly smooth going South. Expect it to warm up about the time you are abeam of San Diego or the Mexican border - and it should be pleasantly warm in Mexico.

Coming back North along the coast, it probably will be bumpy, as you are now "bucking" the Japanese Current.

Weather aside, there are few thrills like that of sailing from San Francisco, under the magnificent Golden Gate Bridge. Best side for departure is port side - good view of the Marina Green, Fort Mason, Presidio of San Francisco, and Fort Scott under the GG Bridge.

Enjoy your trip.

San Francisco in January is way warmer than Michigan... :D

As Druke said it will get warmer and smoother as you sail south...

As for moving down a few decks.. If you are seasickness prone, yes.. If not stay where you are and enjoy the ride..

Is your room forward, mid or aft ??

Thanks for your reply...our cabin was suppose to be an upgrade because they dropped the price of the cruise by about $300 and would not reinburse me even though I have cruised with them about 3 times before. So they put us on the aloha deck mid ship. I had already paid for a balcony...they just moved us up two decks.

Thanks for your reply...our cabin was suppose to be an upgrade because they dropped the price of the cruise by about $300 and would not reinburse me even though I have cruised with them about 3 times before. So they put us on the aloha deck mid ship. I had already paid for a balcony...they just moved us up two decks.

Its more important to be midships rather than higher on the way north. You will be bucking current coming north, not fighting winds, and it may be just fine. You never know.

The balcony will be nice south of Cabo.

This is a great itinerary and sailing under the GGB is not to be missed.

We were on the Diamond Princess last January. I know you have a different itinerary but I can tell you that our first day out of LA was a little cool but not cold, the second sea day and all the days in Mexico were warm or even warmer than we like it -- definitely shorts and beach weather. The last day back to LA was a little cool again and a little rough, but still very comfortable for those of us used to cold winters. Here's a link to our webshots, if you're interested: http://community.webshots.com/user/cynbar101. You can see all the warm weather shots! We had a balcony and were on it every day -- you should see plenty of dolphins and whales as you get near Cabo. As a matter of fact, there goes one now....

whale.JPG.91f63df6afa59a631620c59cec78725b.JPG

To me SF is cold in Jan., I live in las Vegas and use to live in the bay area. However I think it will not feel as cold to you. In Jan. the average high is 56 and the average low is 43. The record high is 71 and the record low is 26, So unless SF is having a record low I am going to guess it will fill alot warmer to you (maybe even the 26 would be warmer than home ?) The way SF usually works is in the AM it will be overcast and kinda yucky, the sun almost always comes out in the afternoon. I am sure you will enjoy and I don't think you will need more than a sweatshirt or a light jacket.... Here is the link for the highs/lows http://www.weather.com/activities/homeandgarden/schoolday/weather/climo-monthly-graph.html?locid=USCA0987&from=search

Hi, Just did this trip last month and you will love it. We were mid ship on the Aloha deck w/balcony and loved it. We are from the bay area and are very familiar with the potato patch and its choppiness. On a sailboat yes, on the Dawn Princess, NO! It was just fine. I didn't feel a thing and I am totally paranoid about getting sea sick. Yes, it is cool going down but once you hit Baja it gets really warm and nice. Again, I was concerned about everyone saying how bumpy it is coming back north. I did it on the Star back to LA but never SF so again I was concerned. It is a tad bumpy but nothing as I expected. So plan away with no worries, you will enjoy the trip.

Hi Lukes-

I have the same concern as we are in Pittsburgh and are going on the same cruise on 12/10.

I was just lamenting to my mom I should have chosen a Carib cruise for perhaps warmer weather.

I'll let you know about the cruise when I get back :)

This is my first one!!!!

Hi, Just did this trip last month and you will love it. We were mid ship on the Aloha deck w/balcony and loved it. We are from the bay area and are very familiar with the potato patch and its choppiness. On a sailboat yes, on the Dawn Princess, NO! It was just fine. I didn't feel a thing and I am totally paranoid about getting sea sick. Yes, it is cool going down but once you hit Baja it gets really warm and nice. Again, I was concerned about everyone saying how bumpy it is coming back north. I did it on the Star back to LA but never SF so again I was concerned. It is a tad bumpy but nothing as I expected. So plan away with no worries, you will enjoy the trip.

How didyou like the Aloha deck...I think we are in 520...Any noise or food odors from the above decks??? thanks

• 1 month later...

Archived