How many hours before sailing do you have to change a name?

JBoshears

My husband is pretty sure he will have a new job next week (good thing, bad timing), and he will not be able to go with me on the cruise.

I called RCI to see how soon I need to make a name change, and was told by two different reps two different times. One said 48 hours, and the other said one week.

Does anyone know for sure out of experience how soon I need to do this? I am sailing November 26th.

Also, it is not for sure that I will even have someone to take his place. I know I won't get any money back for canceling, and that's OK, but can he just not show up and they let me on as a single? One way or another, I am going on this cruise, solo or not!

Thanks for the help.

My husband is pretty sure he will have a new job next week (good thing, bad timing), and he will not be able to go with me on the cruise.

I called RCI to see how soon I need to make a name change, and was told by two different reps two different times. One said 48 hours, and the other said one week.

Does anyone know for sure out of experience how soon I need to do this? I am sailing November 26th.

Also, it is not for sure that I will even have someone to take his place. I know I won't get any money back for canceling, and that's OK, but can he just not show up and they let me on as a single? One way or another, I am going on this cruise, solo or not!

Thanks for the help.

I can't help you with your question but I LOVE your last line and had to tell you...you go girl!:D

I believe the manifest is closed about 72 hours prior to sailing due to the new security regulations. If you check again you might get a third answer (that is often the problem with customer service departments in all companies, not just the cruiselines), but I would think that a deadline of a week in advance might be what you should count on. I wouldn't want to cut it too close. As soon as you know, you should contact them. Don't delay.

Click on this site and it will show you the details. It says 24 hours.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/cruiseDocsFaq.do;jsessionid=0000YuGHmiApDYF3-xiu0hP1CnS:10ktmevl6#0

Can I make changes to a guest listed on my reservation?

Names may be changed up to 24 hours prior to sailing provided one of the original names remains on the booking.

Name changes will be subject to a $35 per guest fee if one of the following conditions exist:

Request is made less than 35 days prior to commencement of cruise vacation (inclusive of tours)

Cruise Only documents have been issued

Air Arrangements have been assigned and documents have been issued. Travel agents or guests should contact the Custom Air Desk for resolution of any incremental air charges encountered as a result of the change

Pre/Post Hotel arrangements have been assigned to the booking

**Change fees are subject to change without notice.

Thanks for the replies. I have made my own personal decision of 5 days prior because of the Thanksgiving holiday in there.

I called my TA, and she said I need to change it by Thanksgiving day, so to call the day before. Also, I asked about a charge, and she said there is no charge as long as I did not have air to change. I hope that is correct.

I just hope everything goes smooth. I tend to worry too much about things when they just will take care of themselves!!

Anyway, thanks for the help!

I'd recommend changing the names as soon as you read this to be on the safe side. The new name is J A X B O A T E R. I'll be standing on the side of I-95 southbound :).

I changed a name at about 8 days before sailing with RCI earlier this year. No problem.

Also changed a name with the 'other cruise line' a couple of weeks before sailing and there was a service fee ($60.00 I believe).

I believe the 72 hour rule applies to entering the US.

Once again, if you read the link that was so kindly provided by Alexis above, it takes you to the RCCL website (where you can actually find answers to many of your questions) and it states that only 24 hours is needed and the fee is $35. I believe the question has been answered so stop confusing the poor op.

Archived