ventura

cocowills

I agree that there is variation of quality but with such a large brigade of chefs, this is inevitable. However, I don't think this is different from the majority of restaurants and even takeaways with more than one person doing the cooking. Perhaps you were unfortunate in the choices you made.

I am interested in your reference to signature dishes though. 'Signature dish' is not a phrase I have heard in any P and O MDR and it is not used on menus (if my memory serves me well). I also cannot recall many desserts consisting of chocolate mousse and sponge served in MDR and there of course are always choices (although this may regularly be on offer at lunchtime in the buffet along with many other desserts) and the eight layer molten chocolate cake is a new dessert to me. As I will be on Ventura next week, I will keep my eyes open for them and maybe try them out of curiosity, if they are on the menu.

I truly believe that whichever cruise company passengers choose, we are extremely fortunate to be able to see the world in this way. Billions in the world have no hope of doing as we do. To appear to score points in favour of one company at the expense of another in the way some posters have done on this thread saddens me. I cruise with P & O out of choice. They are not perfect but I do think they, like others, offer a good product at a reasonable price.

If we remember correctly, they call them "signature desserts" on the menu in the MDRs. Yes, check it when you sail with them next. It is always good for someone to verify.

Please note that putting comments here is not to "score points". It helps to discuss matters with other cruisers, especially when management on board the Ventura has been informed but little seems to have been done about it (as far as we know). It also helps to give information to future cruisers of our experience, and what they might expect. They can take it or leave it. We would assume, most would use their own judgement to see whether those views and comments were fair and reasonable, and they would decide for themselves.

For every cruise line company, there is always a group of passengers who would always support them like some kind of "fan club", and that's fine. However, they should not be too "saddened" if others make comments which are not always favorable of their favorite cruise line, but which are true.

Another reason for us to make these comments is to hope that the cruise line would improve on the cooking on the Ventura. Believe it or not, we too, like P&O to succeed and become better. Therefore, we hope that these are criticisms, are being seen as constructive.

Edited by Cahpek

Really? May have a look at Azura cruises then. And how was the standard of the buffet on the Azura? Hope it would be better than on the Ventura (which isn't difficult.) We do not expect every dish to be superb or perfect, just that the majority of the cooking to be reasonably pleasant.

Also, did you find it difficult to find a free table to sit for your meal during your cruise? On the Ventura, it was usually very difficult to find a table - sometimes, we had to go to another restaurant in which the buffet was closed (eg from Waterfront to Beach House) to find a table.

We only go to the buffet for lunch or breakfast and it was ok, we don't tend to go in the evenings but did look in one night and it was very busy!

It's sometimes hard to get a seat but we try and avoid peak times and go to the other part of the buffet which is quieter, doesn't worry me having to walk that bit further.

Britannia's buffet is supposed to be very well laid out and I'm looking forward to trying that in July.

If we remember correctly, they call them "signature desserts". Yes, check it when you sail with them next. It is always good for someone to verify.

Please note that putting comments here is not to "score points". It helps to discuss matters with other cruisers, especially when the management on board the Ventura has been informed but little seems to have been done about it (as far as we know). It also helps to give information to future cruisers of our experience, and what they might expect. They can take it or leave it. We would assume, most would use their own judgement to see whether those views and comments were reasonable, and they would decide for themselves.

For every cruise line company, there is always a group of passengers would would always support them like some kind of "fan club", and that's fine. However, they should not be too "saddened" if others make some comments which are not always favorable of their favorite cruise line, but which are true.

Agree with you 100% on this Cahpek, if it were only acceptable to post complimentary comments about the thread cruise line it would be a total waste of time; and comparing one cruise line with another is, IMO, the only way you can provide other posters with worthwhile information.

Possibly the name of the forum should have been Cruise Critique, maybe that was the intention but it did start in America, and we all know they can't spell.;)

critique

noun

Edited by terrierjohn

Agree with you 100% on this Cahpek, if it were only acceptable to post complimentary comments about the thread cruise line it would be a total waste of time; and comparing one cruise line with another is, IMO, the only way you can provide other posters with worthwhile information.

I am not suggesting that only complimentary comments should be acceptable (I have made critical comments in the past and no doubt will do in the future) but reading through the thread as a whole, my interpretation is that there has been some attempted point scoring going on.

Obviously we all have opinions on food and our own likes and dislikes but in my opinion some of the comments in this thread are unfair and unhelpful. Questioning the competence of the chefs, for example in their ability to make thick soup or creamy custard, is unfair. I doubt they have much autonomy in what they cook and how they cook it. They do as they are told and use the ingredients they are provided with. If criticisms are to be aimed anywhere, it should be at the food procurement team, not the chefs.

Eight layer Molten cake. Around 400 cals. 50% rec. fat allowance per day. 50% rec. cholesterol allowance per day. Could be more depending on serving portion. Following maybe four other courses too. Wow. Dodged a landmine there!......Although I suspect the two layers served were just thicker. Some observations here deserve an airing... others are in my opinion petty.

"Also, did you find it difficult to find a free table to sit for your meal during your cruise? On the Ventura, it was usually very difficult to find a table - sometimes, we had to go to another restaurant in which the buffet was closed (eg from Waterfront to Beach House) to find a table"

This does happen. Don't just grumble, look for a larger table with maybe two people on it, say 'We can't find a table, do you mind if we sit here? They'll say yes, and before you know it, you are talking and you have met 2 more friends on the ship.

I am not suggesting that only complimentary comments should be acceptable (I have made critical comments in the past and no doubt will do in the future) but reading through the thread as a whole, my interpretation is that there has been some attempted point scoring going on.

Obviously we all have opinions on food and our own likes and dislikes but in my opinion some of the comments in this thread are unfair and unhelpful. Questioning the competence of the chefs, for example in their ability to make thick soup or creamy custard, is unfair. I doubt they have much autonomy in what they cook and how they cook it. They do as they are told and use the ingredients they are provided with. If criticisms are to be aimed anywhere, it should be at the food procurement team, not the chefs.

If there are any criticisms (and hopefully, they are constructive), they are aimed at P&O in general, whether it is the chefs, management, or the procurement team, or whoever. Someone or some team within the company should be responsible -question is who or which one(s)? Some here mentioned the chefs because the food they get came from the kitchen. So, can you blame them if they think the kitchen staff may have something to do with it? If you think it is the procurement team within P&O which is at fault, then, it is still up to P&O to sort that out. The important thing is guests , who are at the "receiving end" should not be made to have to bear with so much poor cooking/dishes when they have paid good money which they worked hard for, for a cruise.

This does happen. Don't just grumble, look for a larger table with maybe two people on it, say 'We can't find a table, do you mind if we sit here? They'll say yes, and before you know it, you are talking and you have met 2 more friends on the ship.

It is not a matter of grumbling or not. It is a matter of choice. Some people do not mind sitting with 4 other people, and make new friends, and that's fine. Others may choose to sit by themselves in a table for two so that they can enjoy their food and each other's company, This is similar to being in the MDR, when some people do not mind sharing tables, and others prefer a table for two. Personally, we find that when we share a table, even if we enjoy meeting new people and chatting to them, we could not enjoy the cooking as much. Guess as the cooking on the Ventura was often not very good, that was not too much of an issue!

It sometimes feels to me that we should adopt the 'ice skating regime' when reading reviews or critiques. Look at them all, discard the topmost and bottommost, average the remainder.

I made the mistake of reading forums after booking my first ever cruise ( on Ventura, coincidentally). It took the edge off my anticipation, reading reports which made it sound like the worst thing afloat. My experience was very enjoyable and the horrors some had itemised simply did not materialise.

At the opposite end of the experience-spectrum, I'm sure there are a few passengers who, for whatever reason, have awful holidays.

For what it's worth, I found the MDR food on my January cruise on Ventura the best yet, as regards menu choice and food on the plate. The restaurant manager came around on the second night and asked everyone to report problems and stressed that we could 'pick and mix' as regards vegetable accompaniments. He was visible and available every night.

I like to think that I appreciate good food, well cooked and presented. I do not have a sweet tooth, so can't give fair comment judged on the few puddings I tried.

I cannot comment on the buffet, as I simply do not use it. Not my style. Good that some do prefer it, taking pressure off the other outlets. We are fortunate to have the choice. I feel it is one of the major pluses of cruising that 2 people on the same cruise can have completely different holiday experiences, and both enjoy them equally.

Eight layer Molten cake. Around 400 cals. 50% rec. fat allowance per day. 50% rec. cholesterol allowance per day. Could be more depending on serving portion. Following maybe four other courses too. Wow. Dodged a landmine there!......Although I suspect the two layers served were just thicker. Some observations here deserve an airing... others are in my opinion petty.

Get your point (especially the calories!) . When we first had the eight layered caked and it came out as two layered, we thought it was just rather funny (and thought maybe the chef ought to go to Specsavers???!!!).

If that was the only issue with food, that could be just easily brushed aside. Even if there were just a couple of "foodie" issues, one could forgive that, as everyone's human and no-one's perfect. It was only when a host of many other issues with the food/cooking that cropped up, when everything seems to add up. And that made us feel "H'mmm, the cooking here is generally well below standard, something's not quite right".

To support our view that everyone's human and no-one's perfect, our steward was not perfect but he's human . (he even forgot to ensure all the life jackets were in the cabin! Another night he left a note to remind us to put the clock 1 hour backward when it should have been instead of 1 hour forward!!! Lol. We just informed him about the mistake, no great harm done.). However, he tried hard throughout the rest of cruise and he was very obliging and he tidied the room well. He seemed to know when we went for our meals and when we got back to the cabin, the room would be tidied and towels changed, etc. And sometimes, the poor guy was still working at 10pm as some of the guests have not left their rooms and he has to tidy them before he could end his shift. And he had to wake up at 5am the following morning.. In spite of all this, he was still so nice, friendly and polite. We appreciated that and we tipped him extra towards the end of the cruise.

Edited by Cahpek

What we were trying to say (above) with regards to the poor food, and then with the cabin steward, is that, we try to be forgiving and understanding if we can. But there has to be a limit when things were so bad , and it had crossed a line when we thought, "Enough's enough".

With our cabin steward, eventhough he was not perfect, we know that he tried and the good qualities he had far outweighed any little shortcomings in his service.

For the kitchen, because of the long list of poor quality food coming out, it has gone past beyond forgiving and saying "Nevermind, it's alright".

We read on another thread that seems to indicate catering on the Britannia is better than on the Ventura , at least as far as the Epicurean is concerned. We wonder if that covers the other restaurants on the Ventura as well, and in particular the buffet?

It is very unlikely we will be rushing back to cruise on the Ventura in the foreseeable future. We shall be looking at other ships with (hopefully) better food catering to cruise with. For us, enjoying food on board is a very important part of cruising experience (probably that is why our favorite cruise line is Oceania Cruises).. Two weeks of poor food on the Ventura has put us off her for a very long time.

Edited by Cahpek

It is very unlikely we will be rushing back to cruise on the Ventura in the foreseeable future. We shall be looking at other ships with (hopefully) better food catering to cruise with. For us, enjoying food on board is a very important part of cruising experience (probably that is why our favorite cruise line is Oceania Cruises).. Two weeks of poor food on the Ventura has put us off her for a very long time.

Cahpek, with the frequent turnround in all hotel staff on every cruise line, it is quite likely that you might come across the same poor head chef you encountered on Ventura on any of the other P&O ships.

Equally it is important that any shortcomings are highlighted to P&O in as many ways as possible, otherwise how are they to know where improvements are needed.

We have now stopped giving a blanket excellent to our steward, despite the claims that lower scores reduce their bonus, we now ensure that we give an honest assessment on everything, warts an' all.

I was told that the Ventura buffet is changing in June. I hope that there won't be so much emphasis on Indian and other foreign foods, until they can get the basics right.

They would be better off going back to basics. Impossible to find coleslaw and potato salad if you want a salad! Just mysterious concoctions. No nice selection of breads - ie no baguette - just the usual doughy rolls. No nice cheeses - just cheddar in tiny diced pieces. What are they thinking - if at all? :pThey need to go to a Harvester and look at their salad bar. I really objected to the packets of mayonnaise and salad dressing. What happened to blue cheese, honey mustard etc.? in large squeezy jars? Help yourself to mint sauce in a sauce boat on the lamb carvery - but big search for packets of horseradish with beef carvery. All very odd.

I can only think that top management of Pando travel in suites and only eat in the best restaurants on board.

Decaf coffee? Only in packets!! Flavoured water during the day? - not on your nellie:loudcry: They empty out the machine - looks awful! Only one button out of 4 works for water only! Fortunately I knew this and to the amusement of other passengers, I brought my own cordial. We are not allowed fizzy drinks.

I do like the ship, but Pando need to get their act together and come into the 21st century. They should bring themselves to appeal to the highest common denominator, not the lowest!! When we travelled Pando over 50 years ago, it was a highly rated line. What has happened?

I got the impression that its not a question of money - just needing to get with the programme!! Things have moved on and our tastes have changed. Actually, I found the food in the MDR OK. I thought the steaks were better than Celebrity. Perhaps they could cut back a bit on the green beans - hahaha. Didn't bother me, as I like green beans, but they were the butt of jokes among other passengers.

I kept asking for a caesar salad and was refused every time, even when a caesar wrap was on the menu. My mother was refused french fries and onion rings, because it came with another dish on the menu not the one she had ordered. The server kept saying not possible, until I threatened to call the restaurant manager over - then it was served. Is the kitchen totally inflexible or is it that the servers can't be bothered? This sort of request is not unusual on other lines and I was surprised at the inflexibility.

Edited by BMT