Am I Crazy? Booked for 2007!!

Bobby Jones

We have booked 18 months out...never too early. I am very very picky about cabins and want to make sure I get exactly the one I want. We are going to do Alaska in 2007 and I wish I could book now but must wait...and the earlier you book, the more time you have to chat on these boards.

Booking early locks in your rate (You can always monitor and adjust if/when rates go down, but popular itineraries and categories go up - and best cabins are taken :eek:

The only drawback to booking very early is the Promotional mailings Princess marketing has been sending out lately for new bookings only....you lose out on some extra SBC......

I'm not happy with this situation..........although an early booking with a group rate through a good TA usually evens things out............JMHO

So far, I have done significantly better booking after final payment with the flash/promo mailings Princess has. Enough so, it has always been cheaper to book through this then it is to book into TA's group with her shipboard credit. Really, when saving $500 off of a price, the $100 shipboard credit really isn't that important......

Not sure if this will continue but Princess does have some awesome last minute specials. And I have secured some good sailing dates and cabins this way...

Until something changes significantly - this is the best way for me to book.

In a few years, when we retire, I think the last minute bookings will be very attractive. If I just worked for the airlines - I could swing the last minute airfare too!!

Surprisingly - I get better prices airline wise 30-60 days out. If I book farther out then that, I pay an arm and leg. I know for others, it is the opposite.

Heck no, it's not too early!

We have a 10 day booked on the Golden out of San Francisco in April 2007.

Our first cruise was on the QM2 and we booked it when the ship was still being built (I think the keel had just been laid).

:) Hi Everyone! We have been booked for Hawaii January 11, 2007 since June! I'll be celebrating a special birthday and we wanted to be sure to get the stateroom we wanted. This is the farthest out we've ever booked.

In September we booked B2B on the Crown Princess for January/February 2007.

In January 2006 we're on a 14 night cruise on the Sea Princess that we booked in January 2005.

We always book early to get the cabin we want. Our travel agent will then monitor the price and if the price goes down we get the lower rate.

I to agree on early bookings. You get the room and floor that you want. ALso playing the waiting game is always fun, it gives you something to look forward to. We have been booked on the new Crown sailing outta San Juan on Jan 27, 2007 since Aug.

HI, I try to book far in advance. That way we have way to much fun planning and anticipating the cruise. But I have done a couple cruises where I booked 30 or 60 days out and gotten good deals too. Any cruise is a good cruise. We will be sailing on the Sea Princess in March 2006 and I am already looking at what 2007 offeres (or even late 2006). Thinking transatlantic to Europe this time, lots of wonderful sea days to enjoy. :)

Cori

Probably May of 2006.

We to like booking WELL in advance. I really would like to book for Alaska, August 2007, but their time frame doesn't go that far yet.............

Generally how far out for say Aug. 2007 do I have to wait? Thanks...baffles

I just can't book that far in advance.

If I ask for time off in June of 2007, my boss would laugh. I am just starting to think of May 2006 and what I should be doing.

We've both had times when we changed jobs between booking a vacation and going on it. Imagine finishing up your job interview by asking for time off. Believe it or not, it's never been a problem. You may end up taking off without pay though.

Coral. We might check with some of the smaller "local" cruise lines to see what they have to offer.

Confused - do you think in Nebraska we have any local cruise lines?

Steven and Daniel - I am unable to take time off with out pay at my job. This is not an option (they make us go in vacation day debt instead). Having vacation days is not the issue - we just don't know our large project scheduling 9 months in advance so booking far in advance just doesn't work out.

I am not complaining - I have had some great last minute specials. I have booked Alaska for $399-$450 pp a week for several years in a row, I have had an Owner's suite for $800 total on Explorer of the Seas, I have had minisuites on Princess for $700 pp. I almost booked a trans-atlantic 12 night cruise for $600 pp last year. If you are flexible - there are some great last minute specials.

Coral. You must be confused. Nebraska ney..............Alaska yea.........ie Alaska West cruises...............for one.

Got it - I thought you were suggesting I should check with MY local cruise lines :)

I have heard awesome things about Cruise West - would love to sail them sometime!

How do you book so early for cruises? We want to do Alaska 2007 and can't find any place that has itenararies or prices yet for that far in advance. I would love to book this early but can't find where. I even called the cruiseline and they said 1 year in advance will be the absolute earliest. HELP!!! Sharon

We are booked for December 2006. I saw what I wanted to do at a good price and I grabbed it.

There are some cruises now being advertised for early 2007. I almost booked one, but think I will wait until we are on board, so we can get the extra onboard credits and the lower deposit.

Roberta

Booking for 2007 is definitely not too early.

I have had my 2006 cruises booked for a while now ... since the beginning of 2005.

Though I haven't yet booked anything for 2007, I probably will once I return from my Hawaii/South Pacific cruise on HAL this January. The only reason I haven't yet booked anything is simply because I haven't really given any thought to where I want to go in 2007.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived