Time to board Royal Princess in Athens?

jimbug

Hi, after a few years away from cruising, I'm back! :) We are sailing on Royal Princess RT from Athens in August...now for my question:

Sailaway time from Athens is listed at 7:00 p.m. We have arranged a culinary tour that day in Athens from 9 am - 3 pm, with intentions of grabbing a cab immediately after the tour and heading to the port (which I believe is roughly 30 minutes away, in traffic). I figure at the VERY worst, we would be at the port for check-in by 5:00 p.m.

Is this too late? I've always been an "early bird" on embarkation day, and have always gotten to the port before noon, even when we've had to wait to board. This will be a first for me, as we want to maximize our time in Athens...but not at the expense of possibly being too late to check-in and board. I've scrutinized Princess' website, but unless I'm missing it, I don't see something that says you must be at the pier 2 hours before sailaway, or some such time. Any experience with this? If needed, we will cancel the tour--but I just wanted to get more knowledge about the time frame required to be checked in. Thanks!

Check the your personalizer - you will find the acceptable boarding times. I boarded the royal in Athens last june and I believe the latest time to board was 1900 (7PM)...So 5 should be just fine.

I am also an early boarder and boarding at 2pm was a little freaky - but I had my beer and settled right down :)

Check the your personalizer - you will find the acceptable boarding times. I boarded the royal in Athens last june and I believe the latest time to board was 1900 (7PM)...So 5 should be just fine.

I am also an early boarder and boarding at 2pm was a little freaky - but I had my beer and settled right down :)

Thank you!! Now I see where it says check-in between 12-6. Whew, we should be just fine! Realistically, we should be at the pier no later than 4, but having that extra two hours is a nice safety net in the event of something going wrong.

I'm planning the same thing in April. We sail from Athens at 7p but doing a full day tour that drops us off at port at the end with luggage. It's a private tour so it's flexible and I'm shooting for 5p even thou the check in cutoff is 6p.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are going to the acropolis (of course you are - you'll be in ATHENS!!) Wear shoes with a good tread as the ground is marble with gravel on top so walking can be a little treacherous and if you aren't sure footed - it's stressful....says the lady who can fall off of running shoes :)