Are dock workers Longshoremen?

Roce48

But if you knew they make from $70k to well into six figures, depending on seniority and hours worked, would you still feel compelled to tip them?

They only get paid for the hours they work if the work is there.

The working conditions can be less than desirable as the work the ships in any and all kind of weather Especially then men who work on the ships securing the containers or other cargo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

They only get paid for the hours they work if the work is there.

The working conditions can be less than desirable as the work the ships in any and all kind of weather Especially then men who work on the ships securing the containers or other cargo.

After 20+ years on container ships, RO/RO's, and the like, very familiar with the work of longshoremen, and also aware that many make far more than even US ship's officers.

After 20+ years on container ships, RO/RO's, and the like, very familiar with the work of longshoremen, and also aware that many make far more than even US ship's officers.

Well I guess my 45 + years working in the ILA makes me uninformed with the industry

Well I guess my 45 + years working in the ILA makes me uninformed with the industry

Never said that, but I also don't see you refuting the numbers. Are the numbers of $20/hr for starters and up to $35/hr after 6 years for base wage, plus shift differential, overtime, specialty cargo rates, etc, wrong?

From the PMA:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=16&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjCtsK9xbXSAhUl64MKHdzsBi0QFghlMA8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pmanet.org%2Fthe-ilwu-workforce&usg=AFQjCNGaenRGMidZ7XQtT9-LrxZRg3w1qw

Which states that the 14,200 ILWU members had a payroll in 2015 of $1.7million, or an average of $119k per member. Average wage is $161k, with a $100k benefits package, including an $89k maximum pension. The ILWU also has a "pay guarantee plan" that employers contribute to, that guarantees the salary of some longshoremen whether they work or not. I'm not sure about the wages and benefits of the ILA, as its been many years since I did a public dock on the East Coast.

But, hey, I respect your viewpoint, and the work of the longshoremen (for the most part, there are always bad apples in any industry), and am merely pointing out that the longshoremen are not minimum wage service industry employees that live off tips.

That sounds like a good job.

Union Negotiations are good Working People deserve to have benifits and retirement other than social security.After they have worked 20/30 years in all kinds of weather conditions doing physical work.

Personal note

I'm not in that industry but on 0degree days out on the job site, is when the guy in the office should visit in his Mercedes,fancy shoes and kaki pants.There always saying we Union guys mk 2 much from there safe dry ,heated/air conditioned office

I live in the US you can never mk enough