Canon T1i Rebel?

Baddabing

I have a Canon T1i Rebel that I use for still pics. I will be going on an Alaska cruise in a couple of months and was wondering if the canon would be a good pick to use for taking videos while on the cruise. It has HD technology but I really never used it for videos (I usually use my phone).

I would suggest you take both to an interesting part of your town/city and video the same scenes with each camera. Then compare the results and decide for yourself which you like best. Factors I would compare are:

Quality of video

Quality of sound

Ease of use

Convenience to carry

I'm sure there are other factors that you can think of or that others will contribute on this thread.

The biggest thing to consider --- The Rebel t1i barely has any video autofocus. You really have to rely on manual focus for video. The video quality of any newer phone will be a bit better, the sound quality likely a bit better on the phone. But the biggest difference is whether you want auto focus or manual focus.

The biggest thing to consider --- The Rebel t1i barely has any video autofocus. You really have to rely on manual focus for video. The video quality of any newer phone will be a bit better, the sound quality likely a bit better on the phone. But the biggest difference is whether you want auto focus or manual focus.

This. I didn't have the T1i, but I had a T2i and it did not change focus while recording video. You would have to auto-focus it prior to starting the recording and then hope your subject stayed in focus the whole time. Or you could manually adjust focus while taking video and trying to hold the camera still. So you could upgrade to a T4i or a newer model that has autofocus during videos or just stick with your phone. I don't think I took many videos on our Alaskan cruise. Best of luck!

I personally don't recommend even considering a DSLR for video unless you're willing to spend good money buying a shoulder-mount "rig" to hold the camera steady and give you some "external" knobs to adjust focus and zoom from the rig's natural hand positions (or close to them). You'd also likely need an external monitor to be big enough to see critical focus, and to put the monitor actually in front of your eyes. If all of this sounds Greek to you, consider a different device for your vacation videos.

I personally don't recommend even considering a DSLR for video unless you're willing to spend good money buying a shoulder-mount "rig" to hold the camera steady and give you some "external" knobs to adjust focus and zoom from the rig's natural hand positions (or close to them). You'd also likely need an external monitor to be big enough to see critical focus, and to put the monitor actually in front of your eyes. If all of this sounds Greek to you, consider a different device for your vacation videos.

What camera would you recommend for taking videos on an Alaskan excursion. Whale watching, glacier viewing and hiking?

What camera would you recommend for taking videos on an Alaskan excursion. Whale watching, glacier viewing and hiking?

A good smart phone....

A mirrorless ILC from Sony, Fuji, Olympus, or Panasonic.

The Sony Rx100v or Rx10iii have some excellent video capabilities.

Personally, I have thousands of dollars in camera gear -- but I stick to my iPhone for video. My iPhone is better than my $2,000 dSLR when it comes to video.