My first cruise but there is a possible hurracane on the way.

itzelm

Hi guys,

I am set to sail on the Norwegian Sun on Sunday, Nov. 20. The itinerary is Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. We are so excited because Cozumel is back on the itinerary--after Wilma. However, there is troubling news today. Tropical depression Gamma has formed in the lower Antilies. ONce it enters the caribbean sea, they expect it to become a hurracan. Projected path is the border between nicaragua and honduras. the maps have it near the border by sunday, monday or so.

we should be sailing out from houston on sunday and spending all day at sea on tuesday. wednesdy we should be in cozumel. my question is...

---what do ships usually do if let's say, we can't go to roatan or belize?

---is the ocean choppy and do you feel the waves if you are in the ocean near the area where the hurracane hits.

I have no idea of what to expect. has anyone had an experience where their itinerary had to change while you were on the ship?

NEVER ever expect-- go with anticiaption. IF a hurricane will hit your areas-- the ship will be diverted.

But Aginet is not currently tracking this storm. If and when it becomes Tropical Storm Gamma Aginet will likely beging tracking the storm and this page will become active. The page will be automatically updated from NOAA data and plotted via Google Maps (this is as now)

Don't worry Itzelm. Go and enjoy your cruise. The ship will NOT take you into dangerous waters. If the storm becomes serious and zeros in on your stops, your ship will go elsewhere. In the event of a "worst case senario", maybe you'll see Grand Caymen or Tortola or somehwere else neat!

thanks for the reassuring words. The reason for my concern is that I am travelling with a 16 month old child and I would hate for the baby to get seasick in rough weather.

My other concern is that the cool ports of call (Roatan and Belize) be removed from the itinerary. NCL had to remove those two ports of call from their ship once and they did not replace them with any other ports.

I hope that does not happen to us.

Archived