Iconic WesternMediterranean - Extension ???

molymoo

We have finally made a decision about our December 2017 trip and will be doing the Iconic Western Mediterranean. We have definitely decided to add the pre-extension in Barcelona and are considering a post as well (what the heck ... why not?!?). The Rome one would be fine but we have been to Rome before. Has anyone here had any experience with the "Ultimate Italy" extension? It is pretty pricey but seems to include tours and quite a few meals as well ... is that the case or am I misinterpreting the description. We will be booking tomorrow and will certainly ask but have found that they can't always answer detail questions at the call centers.

We have finally made a decision about our December 2017 trip and will be doing the Iconic Western Mediterranean. We have definitely decided to add the pre-extension in Barcelona and are considering a post as well (what the heck ... why not?!?). The Rome one would be fine but we have been to Rome before. Has anyone here had any experience with the "Ultimate Italy" extension? It is pretty pricey but seems to include tours and quite a few meals as well ... is that the case or am I misinterpreting the description. We will be booking tomorrow and will certainly ask but have found that they can't always answer detail questions at the call centers.

Molymoo, IMHO, book your own time in Barcelona. Even paying the air deviation fee for both of you to arrive early, you can stay four nights for the same $1200 that Viking is asking for two nights--including a cab from the airport to your hotel and from your hotel to the ship--and maybe even a fifth night depending on how much you spend per night on your hotel . Barcelona is a very easy city to get around, especially if you choose a centrally located hotel.

As for Ultimate Italy, I think there was a thread dedicated to it in this forum.

Oh, and see you on-board!

Definitely agree with Peregrina: make your own arrangements for Barcelona and, if you are willing to take the time, for any post-cruise activities. We've planned each of our pre and post-cruise adventures for a fraction of the price from Viking and, if we spend more, we get lots more in terms of tours, hotels, restaurants for the price of a Viking arrangement.

Thanks for the info! I found the thread and the Ultimate Italy post sounds nice. We are booked for the 28th of December with the pre and post with Viking. We are well aware that we could probably do more booking on our own but we are two females (mother/daughter) and like the security of knowing that all the details are taken care of. We are looking forward to the trip and Peregrina we are really looking forward to meeting the woman who took the China trip with just her carry-on! I am in awe!