Celebrity Summit - 9 Day Eastern Caribbean - Feb 18 to 27, 2017 - Long Review

ken4556

We sailed on the Celebrity Summit for nine wonderful days to the Eastern Caribbean, leaving Port Everglades on Saturday, February 18th and returning on Monday, February, 27th. Since I have not seen many reviews on the Summit posted recently, here is a review on our cruise.

Background

My dad turned 80 in February, so my brother, sister-in-law,and I decided to take mom and dad on a cruise to celebrate. In addition, we opened the cruise to friends and family to celebrate with us. We had a total of 24 of us for dad?s birthday cruise.

We started looking at cruises last March and we settled on the 9-day cruise on the Celebrity Summit. The early booking pricing was comparable to the normal 7-day cruise plus Celebrity included two perks. We also loved having the two extra days, and with the Saturday departure, only required one additional vacation day.

The Ship and Staff

I loved the design of the ship, it was easy to navigate and had plenty of bars and lounges. The3-story foyer allow the lounges on decks 4 & 5 to enjoy the music. The bartenders at the Martini bar were fun to watch. The Rendezvous on 4 and Revelations on 11 were great lounges to enjoy the music or activities. The main showroom had great sightlines to watch the great shows from.

I was in room 6051, a standard verandah balcony room just off the forward elevators. While to room was not super spacious, it did have plenty of storage space and a large shower. We had a small issue with our TV that was promptly fixed. Some others in our group had small issues with their cabins, but all issues were handled promptly. They were replacing the tiles in the shower on our floor while we were on-board.

The ship does have some wear and tear and some areas paint is peeling, especially around the balcony sliding doors. But overall, the shop was in very great ship. I did not see one spot or tears in any of the carpets and did not see any areas out of order due to plumbing or air conditioning issues during our entire cruise.

The ship was clean, but I did notice that glasses were left in odd places (like on the art shelves in the stairwells not being picked-upright away). Service was very good,except for the bar service. Bar service was spotty. In some lounges it was very good, others not so good. Bar service in the dining room was usually just at the beginning of dinner, it was very hard to get a second drink at dinner.

Captain Alex was super friendly and available around the ship. He was very humorous during his 10am announcements and made himself available for photos many times during the cruise.

Our cruise director, Chris Sweets, and his side kick Sara,were excellent. They did an awesome job during Liar?s Club and the Love and Marriage Game. Others in our party attended other activities such as Majority Rules and Battles of Sexes and indicated they were very well done and well attended. In fact, some in our group had a hard time finding a seat as they were so well attended. These activities were done in a nice size lounge, so that indicates how popular they were.

Up next, Food and Entertainment

Loving your review. We're on teh Summit in Sep and this is just such a vivid reminder of what we have to look forward to. Isn't it odd how some people feel free to just leave their glasses in the oddest places? It's not as though it would be a big problem to drop it off in any passing bar.

I am looking forward to your review. I have sailed on the Summit several times in the past and am sailing her March 27 for the first time in 8 years. I remember her as being a very elegant ship.

I am looking forward to your review. I have sailed on the Summit several times in the past and am sailing her March 27 for the first time in 8 years. I remember her as being a very elegant ship.

She still is. We just got off the ship from this same sailing. Everything was wonderful, we didn't want to get off.

Entertainment

I have to be honest, I was a little worried about what the entertainment would be like on the Summit as this cruise was in between a bunch of charter cruises. My worries were unwarranted as the entertainment was awesome. I was amazed with the number of musicians on-board to play in the lounges and both the production shows and guest entertainers were excellent.

On board the Summit, not counting guest entertainers and singer and dancers, were the following:

Bill Forest, Piano player

Lado Strings Duo

Acoustic Duo

Jessica Lajner, Vocal Guitarist

Andrea Lisa Band (4 members)

Jim Beam Band (4 members)

Summit Orchestra (7 members)

As an example, here is the musical entertainment for the first sea day/formal night:

12:15 pm Piano entertainment in Caf? on 5

1:15 pm Piano entertainment in Caf? on 5

2:15 pm Soloist guitar in Martini Bar

3:00 pm Jim Beam house band, pool side

3:15 pm Lado strings Duo in Caf? on 5

4:15 pm Soloist guitar in Sunset Bar

5:00 pm Lado strings Duo in Caf? on 5

5:15 pm Soloist guitar in Sunset Bar

5:15 pm Piano entertainment in Rendezvous on 4

6:00 pm Lado strings Duo in Caf? on 5

6:15 pm Soloist guitar in Sunset Bar

6:45 pm DJ in Martini Bar

7:00 pm Jazz, Soul, & R&B with Andrea Lisa Band in Rendezvous on 4

7:45 pm Lado strings Duo in Grand Foyer

7:45 pm Acoustic duo in Sunset Bar

7:45 pm Meet of the Officers/Photos with Captain

8:00 pm Jazz, Soul, & R&B with Andrea Lisa Band in Rendezvous on 4

8:30 pm Celebrity Showtime with singer and dancers and live 7-piece orchestra

8:30 pm DJ in Martini Bar

8:45 pm Acoustic duo in Sunset Bar

9:15 pm Jim Beam house band, Revelations on 11

9:30 pm Jazz, Soul, & R&B with Andrea Lisa Band in Rendezvous on 4

9:45 pm Acoustic duo in Sunset Bar

10:15 pm Celebrity Showtime with singer and dancers and live 7-piece orchestra

10:30 pm Jim Beam house band, Revelations on 11

10:30 pm Karaoke in Rendezvous on 4

11:30 pm Late night comedy show

11:30 pm Jim Beam house band, Revelations on 11

11:45 pm Jazz, Soul, & R&B with Andrea Lisa Band in Rendezvous on 4

12:15 am DJ, Revelations on 11

Here is the list of guest entertainers and production shows:

Sat, Feb 18 - Comedian Steve Bruner. He was very clean and funny.

Sun, Feb 19 ? iHollywood Production Show. A visual and musical feat of all your favorite movie moments and stars. The show was excellent; music was by the Summit Orchestra.

Mon, Feb 20 ? iMagic staring Stephen Williams. Show was excellent and it was fun seeing a magic show using technology.

Tues, Feb 21 ? James Stephen III. This show was great, part comedy, part singing, part impressions. He was backed-up with the Summit Orchestra.

Wed, Feb 22 ? Broadway Cabaret featuring the Summit singers, music by the Summit Orchestra. Show was very good.

Thur, Feb 23 ? Flash Back Four. The show was very good and entertaining.

Fri, Feb 24 ? Comedian Al Ducharme. The first half of the show was very good, but the second half of his act was confusing and hard to hear and understand.

Sat, Feb 25 ? Stars in their Eyes production show. Show was excellent; music was by the Summit Orchestra.

Sun, Feb 26 ? Singer Tetiana. She was a finalist on Canadian Idol. She was very good and put on a nice show. Al Ducharme did a late night comedy show, but I did not attend.

I have to say a word about the Summit production singers. I have not seen a group of singers that danced like they did. In addition, one of the singers became a dancer in parts of the show. In all my cruises, I have not seen a person move back and forth like she did between singing and dancing. I also loved that all three production shows were done to live music. The singers and dancers were also part of the Motown Interactive Theme Party and the Wonderland Interactive Theme Party. I was told that they were in the studio during the charters and came back on-board just for this cruise before heading back to the studio for the next round of charters.

The Love & Marriage Game Show along with Liar?s Club were very funny and well done. The cruise director, Chris Sweets and his side kick Sara, were excellent and around the ship.

Up next, Food

Food

Let me start by saying I know food is very subjective, so I am also going to also include comments made by my tablemates.

We were on first seating (6 pm) on the upper level of the dining room (level 5). Our group had two tables of 8 and two tables of 4. We ate in the dining room all evenings, except for Friday night when our group ate in the Tuscan Grill. We had an excellent waiter and assistant waiter, who even sung for us at the end of each evening. They were both very personal and made it a point to know us by name.

I found the food to be excellent each night. Some nights had more variety than others, but I am a picky eater. Everyone at our table felt the same way about the food, they were all very impressed with the quality of the dining room food.

Except for St. Marteen and St. Thomas, I had lunch in the Oceanview Cafe each day. They had salad stations, hot food selection stations, a carving station, pasta station, pizza station, asian station, and a soup and sandwich station. In addition, hot dogs and hamburgers were available by the poolside grill. Everything was good, but the pasta and carving stations were excellent. They also had a good selection of bread and desserts. One day, they had nothing but cupcakes for desserts and they were awesome. Except for embarkation day, tables always seemed to be available especially towards the back of the ship. Bar service was ok. Only small complaint I have is many days the ice machines were not working or just out of ice.

I am not a breakfast person, so I cannot comment on the quality of the breakfast offerings. My parents said breakfast in the Oceanview Cafe was excellent and had a great selection each morning.

Our dinner in the Tuscan Grille was excellent. Some in our group said the calamari was awesome as were the meatball appetizers I had. I had the Filet Mignon and it was one of the best I ever had. It had great taste and almost melted in my mouth. The wait staff was excellent and it was a very memorable and enjoyable evening.

My brother and aunt went to Sushi on 5 for lunch and said it was very good. None in our group went to Qsine nor do we try room service.

Next-up, Port of Calls

I love that your review is so detailed! We have been debating making a reservation for the Tuscan Grille but after your comments, we definitely will!! I have to admit that I am sorry they got rid of the Normandy Restaurant. :(

Three weeks till we sail!!:):)

Port of Calls

The cruise was 9-days, with 2 sea days at the beginning and 2 sea days to end the cruise. In between the sea days, we visited St. Kitts, St. Marteen, St. Thomas, and San Juan. Since I been to these ports before, I did not have big plans for any of the ports. Celebrity did provide maps for each port included in the daily program.

St. Kitts

The weather was not good when we docked in St. Kitts, windy and rainy. The rain stopped around noon and the sun came out, but it remained windy. I had booked the Nature Kayaking tour, but is was cancelled along with the sailing excursions. We instead did an island tour while my parents did the St. Kitts train ride. After leaving the ship, we went to the tour booth and they arranged for an island tour for us for $20.00 per person, lasting about 2.5 hours long. Our driver was super nice and gave us great history on the island. After the tour, we walked through the shops before heading back to the ship.

St. Marteen

After shop shopping at our favorite Jewelry Store, Grand Jewelers, we head to the Sunset Bar on Maho Beach. We could not believe the number of people that were on the beach and at the bar. We were fortunate to find a table and ordered lunch. While watching the planes is always fun, the large crowd made it less fun than on past visits. We had six cruise ships, so I am sure that created the crowd in itself. The weather was nice most of the day, but we did have a couple passing showers.

St. Thomas

We docked at Crown Bay and headed again to our friends at Grand Jewelers. We went to the Green House restaurant for lunch before doing some more shopping and heading back to the ship. The weather was cloudy and rainy for most of the day.

San Juan

I was part of a group of eight that went on the Zip Lining tour. It was very well organized, the guides were fantastic, and we had all a great time. After returning to town, we hit Walgreens before heading back on the ship. Others is our group went on the self-tour of the forts. It was a beautiful day in San Juan.

As Elite members, we were invited on the bow of the ship for the sail out from San Juan. They had officers available to talk to and free drinks available.

Up next, Internet and Loyalty Benefits

Internet

I used the internet to check e-mail and Facebook using my free Elite minutes and found the Internet to be quick. My brother pre-purchased an unlimited package and used it to stream a hockey game using the sling app. The game was almost perfect to watch, with just a very small buffer issue every couple of minutes. He told me he was very impressed as he really did not believe the ship’s internet would allow him to stream the hockey game. Well done Celebrity!

Captain’s Club

I do love how Royal Caribbean-Celebrity recognize your status based on which cruise line you have cruised the most on. Even though it was only my second Celebrity cruise, I was considered an Elite member as I am Diamond on Royal Caribbean.

The Summit had a happy hour for Elite and above members each night from 5 to 7 pm in the Revelations Lounge on 11. Since we were with a group and we have the beverage package, I did not attend. Additional perks, that I did use, were the 90 minutes of free Internet and one free bag of laundry. They did offer additional perks and discounts, but I can only remember the photo package discount and special breakfast in the dining room on departure day. They also had a special backstage tour that I did not attend.

They also had a special sail-away event on the bow of the ship that was originally schedule for St. Thomas. It got moved to the next day as we left San Juan due to weather. They had free drinks and officers on-hand to talk with the guests. It was very nicely done.

This is one area that Royal Caribbean/Celebrity really excel at is rewarding your loyalty. I am 3-star on HAL and it does not give you much, except a small discount on logo clothes and the Pinnacle Grill. No special Happy Hours, no special events, no special check-in, or time to meet the officers.

Next-up: Final Thoughts