Danube Waltz question

Cruisers909

We are taking our first Viking cruise in May. I am wondering if there is an option to just stay on the boat and relax for a day and not take part in the tours. Although we are excited for the tours, there may be a day we might like to rest !

I have taken 4 Viking river cruises, including yours and we usually do the included tour but I don't think they would stop you from staying on board, most of the time you will be docked at the town so you will not be cruising. Each town is different and the small towns are lovely Passau was a favorite, Vienna offers so much to see, easy to take the subway, Melk Abbey is beautiful and should not be missed, and Budapest was a lovely surprise for us. We only did the included tours as we usually go early to the start of the trip and stay at the end of the trip so we have spent time in both Passau and Budapest on our own. Also we had been to Vienna before so didn't take the included tour but went out on our own. There is plenty of time after/before the included tours and they are not overly strenuous and it would be a shame to miss each town as they are all different and have something to offer.

You certainly can. On our "waltz" last year, one of the other passengers was traveling with her Mom who had mobility issues. The daughter started hanging with us on the tours while Mom relaxed aboard or took the typically shorter, much less mobility required tours that were offered for those with mobility issues.

Yes--this is YOUR vacation. You can do as much or as little as you like. You can tag along on tours, you can hop off the ship and do your own thing (as long as you're aboard before sailing) or you can lounge to your heart's content. You do not need to notify anyone (unless it's a paid trip--like the concert in Vienna for example) if you don't plan to participate. If you do go on a tour, you are welcome to steal away during the tour too--as long as you notify the tour director or guide (so when they do a head count they know you're accounted for.)

We've done this itinerary 3 times and each time we change it up and do something different.

PS--edited to add: There are some stretches along the river where you do cruise during the day so you have a "break" between tours and days in port. You might be able to get your fill of "chill" during the cruise times...

Thanks for the responses... Clay ..we were supposed to be on your waltz cruise last April but had to reschedule to this year...your pictures and blog were very helpful!

No need for thanks...just paying it forward. Sorry you weren't able to join us, I think I was the only CC onboard. Have a great cruise!

We are taking our first Viking cruise in May. I am wondering if there is an option to just stay on the boat and relax for a day and not take part in the tours. Although we are excited for the tours, there may be a day we might like to rest !

The morning that we slept in and stayed on board was wonderful! The ship was nice and quiet and we sat in the lounge with our coffee and books and enjoyed the scenery. The bonus was that we saw the crew setting up for lunch and we jumped in, beating the crowds that came in from their tours. It was a great morning.

Excursions vary, but, yes, they are more likely to be in the morning, assuming the boat is docked. Sometimes there is another one in the afternoon. There was an optional evening concert excursion in Vienna, unless I'm getting things mixed up.

Tips: Linz is a great place to visit. If you aren't interested in Sound of Music stuff, I'd skip that excursion and just stay in Linz. If you are interested in military history, hop the Vienna subway to their military museum. When we were there, they had a special exhibit featuring Archduke Ferdinand's car, but I don't know if that's still going on.

If you plan to visit the ruins of the castle in Durnstein (where Richard Lionheart was imprisoned), don't dawdle in the town. It's a long climb to the top of the hill.

--Dav

Excursions vary, but, yes, they are more likely to be in the morning, assuming the boat is docked. Sometimes there is another one in the afternoon. There was an optional evening concert excursion in Vienna, unless I'm getting things mixed up.

Tips: Linz is a great place to visit. If you aren't interested in Sound of Music stuff, I'd skip that excursion and just stay in Linz. If you are interested in military history, hop the Vienna subway to their military museum. When we were there, they had a special exhibit featuring Archduke Ferdinand's car, but I don't know if that's still going on.

If you plan to visit the ruins of the castle in Durnstein (where Richard Lionheart was imprisoned), don't dawdle in the town. It's a long climb to the top of the hill.

--Dav

Thank you Dav!

We are taking our first Viking cruise in May. I am wondering if there is an option to just stay on the boat and relax for a day and not take part in the tours. Although we are excited for the tours, there may be a day we might like to rest!

Definitely! As others have said...you can choose to stay on the boat, or do your own thing in the area where you are docked.

There were quite a few people on our boat, on the day that was kinda dreary/cold/rainy, that opted to not do the walking tour scheduled for that day and instead hung out on the boat or walked into town on their own.

The boat has a system when you are leaving the boat you pick up your room cards (I think this is what they were called). This is how they keep track of who is on and who is off the boat. You would do this if you were going on the scheduled excursion/tour. So if you choose to leave the boat on your own (not participate on the tour), just make sure you stop at the desk, pick up your cards, and also confirm the time to return.

A tip - if you are a late night snacker, grab some cookies from the snack station in the afternoon and take them to your room....there isn't anything available after dinner is completed.

Sounds exactly like the Avalon cruise we took. I have to remember to do that or buy some snacks in port lol I'm a night owl.

Oh, did anyone that has done this itinerary gone to Prague at the end? If so, was it hard to get to from Passau?

Not sure about getting to Prague but we had no trouble going from Munich train station getting on a train direct to Passau, check the train lines schedule from Passau, if your boat is parked in town you will be pretty close to the train station I think we took a cab because we thought the boat was docked at the farthest possible spot but when the driver took us to the boat it was about a 10 min. cab ride.