Advice for someone brining a baby

New2cruzng

I am giving my family a cruise for Christmas. We will be going on the Costa Magica 01/08/05. Our baby will be 10 months old then.

My husband thinks it is crazy when people bring babies on vacation but what do we do , lol.!! So he doesn't know yet, he will find out on Christmas day like everyone else (my 2 other children 13, and 11).

I think the biggest problem with be shore excursions, but we can trade off right?

Thoughts..........

I think you'll get varied responses from this board, be prepared. It's totally up to you. If you got a laid back, easy going baby who is easily amused and doesnt' mind new things and general chaos at times then you should be fine. I'm sure you can find excursions that you'll can do together, shouldn't think you'd need to leave anyone out, that wouldn't be any fun.

Good luck

More power to you, but not something I would have wanted to do when my kids were that age. Just remember to be thoughtful of the other passengers. If your little darling gets fussy during dinner, please remove him/her so everyone else can enjoy their dinner in peace. I love kids as long as they are well behaved. It's the parents I get frustrated at sometimes!

Have a fun trip.

I completely agree. I hate when babies or even worse toddlers are screaming and parents are ignorant to how others feel. I am always willing to leave if necessary. The problem is my husband is like one of my kids!! If I leave because it is my turn then he won't stay and finish dinner, unlike myself, if it was his turn to get up and walk away because the baby was crying, I will have no problem saying - see ya later! lol oh well!!

Well at least he takes turns right!

My concern was mostly what goes on on the ship. Meaning - late at night when my older girls are ready for bed, I can leave the little guy (baby not husband) with them and me and my hubby can go gambling? dancing? partying, lol. Things are going on 24/7?

THANKS!!

If you are comfortable leaving the baby with your older kids, I don't see why you couldn't. We've traveled in the past with friends who had little ones. They would get all the kids settled in for the night and then come meet us for drinks or shows. Have you thought about bringing a walkie talkie along to leave in the room in case something should come up? That way the older ones could at least contact you to come back.

If your baby isn't walking by then (some do at 10 months!) it will probably be the easiest vacation you will have with your little one for the next 4 or 5 years. I see nothing wrong with leaving your baby in the care of your older girls, just make sure they know where you will be and check in with them frequently.

It will definitely be a different cruise than one without a baby, but there is no reason you can't all enjoy yourselves. Some ships even have in-cabin babysitting for a fee. You may want to hire a sitter so you can enjoy some of the evening activities with your older ones a couple of times.

I am giving my family a cruise for Christmas. We will be going on the Costa Magica 01/08/05. Our baby will be 10 months old then.

My husband thinks it is crazy when people bring babies on vacation but what do we do , lol.!! So he doesn't know yet, he will find out on Christmas day like everyone else (my 2 other children 13, and 11).

I think the biggest problem with be shore excursions, but we can trade off right?

Thoughts..........

My advice? Leave the little one at home. Ships are full of germs with lots of people being in a closed (at times) environment.

Plus, it's really not fair to your older children to expect them to repeatedly babysit. Aren't they on vacation too?

Wouldn't this be a wonderful opportunity for one of the non-sailing relatives to watch the baby?

My advice? Leave the little one at home. Ships are full of germs with lots of people being in a closed (at times) environment.

Plus, it's really not fair to your older children to expect them to repeatedly babysit. Aren't they on vacation too?

Wouldn't this be a wonderful opportunity for one of the non-sailing relatives to watch the baby?

Kids grow up and then mom and dad are alone soon enough. Don't criticize parents for wanting their children along. Besides, many moms are still breast-feeding their babies until age one or later, as stongly encouraged by most pediatricians.

Well, we already know we are all going, and yes, I wouldnt' expect them to watch the baby everynight. Probably 2 at the most. The walkie talkie is a great idea!

They really wouldn't be 'watching' the baby as it sounds. They would be sleeping when they go to bed and be in the room with the baby. They will eventually fall asleep at night, At least I HOPE!!

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Kids grow up and then mom and dad are alone soon enough. Don't criticize parents for wanting their children along. Besides, many moms are still breast-feeding their babies until age one or later, as stongly encouraged by most pediatricians.

My post was deliberately NON critical and NON judgemental. The original poster asked for advice and it was given.

You must be new to cruise forums if you think my reply was harsh. :)

I agree with previous poster..... try to find something to do in port that you can all do together.... don't try to do it all and make too long a day. Not only the kids will get pooped out !!!!!

I also agree with previous poster about crying/screaming babies in dining room or theatre etc.... please be courteous in that respect.

Other than that I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip together. It never occured to us to leave our two at home when they were small..... We have wonderful memories.

Thoughts..........

We brought or 13 month old last Feb, (not to debate should or should nots) But I used a metal baby knapsack (baby carrier) on shore excursions, worked great, was waved threw metal detector and manually checked. He stayed in back while we sat on edge of seat on tenders, and taxis. We ussually sat off by our selfs and they were good to keep us away from others but we had no trouble. Bring alot of diapers and supplies, they are very expensive in ports. He did stingray city. He also was up at 6 a.m. so I (mum sleeped) and he saw some wild sunrises while sailing into ports like Belize,Roatan while playing basket ball and golf all by ourself. I would do it again but we were very careful trying not to spoil others, and it was alittle more work. :) c ya enjoy

Archived