Sprint Open World - cell service

BoomerSoonerCruisers

We are cruising to Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan in June. Our cell phone carrier is Sprint, which offers the Open World plan. We have used this before while taking land vacations to Cabo. Does anyone have experience with their cell coverage when in port or on the ship?We would like to call home a couple times during our 7 day cruise to check on the kids and most importantly the dog. TIA

We also have Sprint and have been on many cruises. Our phones also have open world plan or global roaming plan from Sprint. (Not exactly sure what the plan is called.)

As long as you purchase a wifi package, you will be able to

call home for no additional charge when your phone says "sprint wifi".

When you are on land, or close to land, phone calls are 20 cents per minute. Texting is free. Some internet/data plans are also included for free. We have used this in the Caribbean as well as Australia and New Zealand and it was great. While on "sprint wifi", we called to talk to our family and friends many times. We only slipped up one time when my husband called me when we were not on Sprint wifi and and then we were only charged 20 cents for the minute.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I was told by sprint that I could call from the ports for free. They told me I could call from the ship for 2.99 a minute and that data was very expensive. I would recommend calling sprint.

Check out Sprint Global Roaming on line and call 877-753-0339.

We really did have free calls on the ship when we were on Sprint Wifi and free texting all of the time. (We bought an internet package from the ship.) We also had free internet at a slower speed. We just did this in Australia and New Zealand last month and the Caribbean last year.

The only time we had free calls from the islands when we were on the US Virgin Islands.