Viking River Cruise Excursion Advice Please?...

worldtraveler859

Hello, river cruisers: my hubby and I are taking our first Viking river cruise in June, 2017 from Amsterdam to Budapest, and would appreciate any advice on shore excursions. Which of the optional excursions are worthwhile or worth missing? Any recommendations on what to do in port or what not to miss? Any advice most welcome. Thanks much - World Traveler 859

OP, here is a link to the thread I think wheezedr is referring to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2392860

We have done a shorter Danube cruise with Viking from Nuremberg to Budapest. We went on all the included excursions and found the guides were all very well-informed. The only optional excursion we took was to the BMW factory from Regensburg. This didn't appear on Viking's excursion list but was announced at the daily information meeting the evening before.

How nice that a link to my review was posted. Since what is enjoyable to one person might not be to another, you should look at the optional excursions and see what interests you. I thought Rothenburg ob-du-Tauber was a fantastic excursion, but you miss the walking tour of Wurzburg if you do that (although you still get to see the Wurzburg Residenz). If you spend the whole day in Nuremberg, I think it worthwhile to take an optional excursion in the afternoon, but my opinion on that might have a lot to do with it having rained in Nuremberg most of the day which made walking around the city a little less enjoyable (and you have the included walking tour in the morning). I went on the optional tour in the afternoon that was about Hidden Art during WWII and thought it was very interesting. Some friends tried to sign up for it the day before but it was already fully booked by then. Some went on the morning optional tour that had to do with WWII in Nuremberg and the aftermath. Most that I heard from liked it but one person said she was sorry she went since it was depressing.

Whatever you choose, you should have a wonderful time!

You can now review all tours and sign up for all you choose on MyVikingJourney. The bad news is that you pay when you sign up on the net. Prior to this coming online Viking put a descriptive list in your cabin and encouraged guests to sign up that first night to avoid being closed out of a tour. In that instance you pay as you check out on your last day.

Tours are greatly a matter of personal taste. We have enjoyed every tour we've taken. Been lucky with our tour guides I guess.

• 1 month later...