Accessibility on Tours

Maureenxx

We are thinking of taking Mom with us on an Asian cruise on either Holland America or Princess. She uses a rolling walker for distance walking and to keep from standing. Will she be able to go on shore excursions without difficulty? We are looking at excursions that require easy to moderate participation. Does anyone have experience in Asia with using a rolling walker? Will tour buses be able to handle. Thanks for any info.

I recently did a month in Asia and it was not pretty, but I am glad I went. I can walk short distances, but walking long distances causes me a great deal of pain. As a result, I use a cane all the time and a wheelchair when I can. Most places in Asia are not disabled friendly, other than Singapore. Singapore is fine. But most of the time you cannot use a wheelchair or walker effectively because you are on dirt or grass or stone. There is also a huge number of steps to deal with, many of which are high. That said, even though I did pay a big price for going in terms of pain, I am glad I went. We saw wonderful things. I don't know where you are going. Koh Samui's Big Buddha and Goddess of Mercy tour was not bad in terms of mobility. Nha Trang's rural tour was hard, lots of walking. I can't recall the names of all our tours. We finished up with 4 days in Siem Reap. It is an incredible place to visit. If you are going, stay at the Golden Temple Residence. It is extremely close to everything in the city and has a lift. They are very accommodating. The temples, however, involve literally miles of walking and much climbing of steps. Still glad I went but a month later, I am still having trouble with my legs. As to the tour buses, it will say if you can take a rollator or wheelchair with you. Some tours don't allow it.