15ish Hours in Seward and Anchorage... Opinions?

cheflauraleh

Our flight leaves at 11:30 PM on the day we disembark so we have about 15 hours to do something. I need opinions on my options! I want to know what you would do. We would love to spend extra time in Alaska but the grandparents will only keep our 3 kids for so long! ;p

1) We could do a ship Kenai Fjords cruise + airport transfer. It's a 5 hour cruise tour with a lunch and transfer. 11 hour total excursion.

2) We could rent a car in Seward and drive to Anchorage. What is there to see along the way?

3)Take an early (cheaper) transfer to Anchorage and rent a car there and explore Anchorage and the surrounding area for the day. Suggestions on where to go?

A little about us, we are in our early to mid 30s and this is our 10 year anniversary trip. We love the outdoors, hiking, viewing wildlife, etc... Our excursions for the cruise include Adventure Bound small boat excursion to Tracy Arm Fjord, float plane of Misty Fjord in Ketchikan, and renting a car in Skagway to drive to Emerald Lake. Thank you for your help!

Our flight leaves at 11:30 PM on the day we disembark so we have about 15 hours to do something. I need opinions on my options! I want to know what you would do. We would love to spend extra time in Alaska but the grandparents will only keep our 3 kids for so long! ;p

1) We could do a ship Kenai Fjords cruise + airport transfer. It's a 5 hour cruise tour with a lunch and transfer. 11 hour total excursion.

2) We could rent a car in Seward and drive to Anchorage. What is there to see along the way?

3)Take an early (cheaper) transfer to Anchorage and rent a car there and explore Anchorage and the surrounding area for the day. Suggestions on where to go?

A little about us, we are in our early to mid 30s and this is our 10 year anniversary trip. We love the outdoors, hiking, viewing wildlife, etc... Our excursions for the cruise include Adventure Bound small boat excursion to Tracy Arm Fjord, float plane of Misty Fjord in Ketchikan, and renting a car in Skagway to drive to Emerald Lake. Thank you for your help!

Hi, we have a similar situation, although our flight is at 8 pm. I'm curious to see what people suggest. I was looking at the cruise options as well. I asked someone I know who is from Alaska, and she recommended doing a scenic flight. There's one to Denali, but it's super expensive.

You have a lot of different options available, and most of them are good...

If it was me: I'd get to Anchorage as quickly as possible and pick up a rental car. Drive a couple of hours north to the Matanuska Glacier for a guided hike. On the way back, if you have time, swing up into Hatchers Pass. Grab dinner in Palmer and then make your way back to Anchorage. You'd probably still have time to stop either at Reflections Lake, Pioneer Falls, Thunderbird Falls or go up to Eluktna Lake. It's packing a lot into a short time, but you're young. You can handle it.

I would do the Kenai Fjords boat trip with airport transfer. It is the one thing I wanted to do in Seward we were unable to do. Just something for next time.

I also looked into booking independently but it will be more expensive with the transfers. I just want to make sure it's different than the Adventure Bound small boat excursion we are taking at Tracy Arm.

You have a lot of different options available, and most of them are good...

If it was me: I'd get to Anchorage as quickly as possible and pick up a rental car. Drive a couple of hours north to the Matanuska Glacier for a guided hike. On the way back, if you have time, swing up into Hatchers Pass. Grab dinner in Palmer and then make your way back to Anchorage. You'd probably still have time to stop either at Reflections Lake, Pioneer Falls, Thunderbird Falls or go up to Eluktna Lake. It's packing a lot into a short time, but you're young. You can handle it.

Thank you for all the suggestions of places to stop! This was the option that appealed to my husband the most but I had no idea where to go. I'll be researching each of these now!

Ah! I'm drowning in research. So. Many. Options.

The Harding ice field hike looks great. I'm just a tiny bit worried about bears!

The Kenai Fjords trip also looks awesome. I just want to make sure it is different enough from the Adventure Bound trip we are doing at Tracy Arm. Also how do you find out who cruise lines are contracting with? I want more details about that particular excursion. If it's not as much time on the water, we will book independently.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check out my review from last year, it has a ton of ideas and pictures. Anchorage and Seward areas. Even Independence Mine up at Hatchers Pass.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376089

Your pictures are amazing! Thank you for sharing!