Transportation to Galveston ???

plate

Need a bit of help here. We just booked the Grand out of Galveston... had no idea that there was not a airport there. Can anyone tell me how much and how long the trip will be to the dock? Do we have options, i.e. - shuttle buses. Thanks for the information.

After reading the Boards, I see that Enterprise has a one-way rental to the port... (although their website indicates that they do not rent one-way). We were toying with the idea of coming in one day early. Our departure date is 1/21/06. I've been trying to locate a hotel near the port and Ramada Inn and LaQuinta seem to fit the bill. The other thought is to just get a cab to Ramada .... as their web site says you can walk to many attactions on the "Strand" - When are you going?

After reading the Boards, I see that Enterprise has a one-way rental to the port... (although their website indicates that they do not rent one-way). We were toying with the idea of coming in one day early. Our departure date is 1/21/06. I've been trying to locate a hotel near the port and Ramada Inn and LaQuinta seem to fit the bill. The other thought is to just get a cab to Ramada .... as their web site says you can walk to many attactions on the "Strand" - When are you going?

Hi--

We are on the same cruise---we are arriving at IAH the evening before (1/20) and then spending the evening at at Marriott by the airport. We decided to hire a car serivce to take us form the hotel to the ship, and then from the ship back to the airport when we return. We are using Emerald Limousine--they were recommended on here. It has to be cheaper to rent a car one way, but I didn't want to deal with a rental car. Where are you guys from? Is this your first cruise? You travelinng with a spouse/kids?

Cheers,

Stephen

Hey Stephen - we are from the Eastern Shore of Maryland. The other couple that are going are from Virginia, just outside of Washington, D.C. Where are you from? The car rental is coming in at $25.00/day - so I figure $50.00 split 4 ways. Tomorrow (Friday) I'm going to try to talk to someone at Enterprise. Why are you flying into IAH and not Hobby? Can I ask what the rate was that Emerald gave you (and for how many people). I usually don't worry about getting back to the ship because we normally try to take a city tour that will drop us off at the airport. Usually it's about 35.00 to 45.00 per person and worth the sightseeing and of course, being dropped off at the airport. If we can get car service to the hotel at a reasonably rate it would be okay... as the Ramada Inn says that everything is in walking distance. (Walking distance to the "strand" which I think is a shopping district. Guess I have to check out the specifics a little more. Nice touching bases with you.

Hey Stephen - we are from the Eastern Shore of Maryland. The other couple that are going are from Virginia, just outside of Washington, D.C. Where are you from? The car rental is coming in at $25.00/day - so I figure $50.00 split 4 ways. Tomorrow (Friday) I'm going to try to talk to someone at Enterprise. Why are you flying into IAH and not Hobby? Can I ask what the rate was that Emerald gave you (and for how many people). I usually don't worry about getting back to the ship because we normally try to take a city tour that will drop us off at the airport. Usually it's about 35.00 to 45.00 per person and worth the sightseeing and of course, being dropped off at the airport. If we can get car service to the hotel at a reasonably rate it would be okay... as the Ramada Inn says that everything is in walking distance. (Walking distance to the "strand" which I think is a shopping district. Guess I have to check out the specifics a little more. Nice touching bases with you.

Hi again---we live in West Virginia---moved here from Maryland (College Park area) about 10 years ago---used to spend some time at Ocean City---not too far from you. We are flying into IAH because I was able to snag two free frequent flier tickets. If I had my choice, I would have tried Hobby. I am embarassed to tell you the cost of the limo (LOL)---just say that we could have rented several cars for what you are paying. The rental car is clearly the way to go based on economics anyway! I think Emerald's rate is per car (not per person)--as it is just the two of us, we are paying a pretty high per person rate. Anyway, if you and your friends want to grab a drink with two forty something's, let us know.

Cheers,

Stephen

The rental car is clearly the way to go based on economics anyway! I think Emerald's rate is per car (not per person)--as it is just the two of us, we are paying a pretty high per person rate. Anyway, if you and your friends want to grab a drink with two forty something's, let us know.

Cheers,

Stephen

I agree. I just got a quote from them that came to close to $500 :eek: and that was for a private shuttle van, not a limo. Somebody on this board emailed me the name of a private driver who quoted me a lot less than that for a luxury SUV.

Hey Stephen… I was raised in Takoma Park and went to the University of Maryland– and then to University College. Ledos Pizza is the best! My husbands’ family is from Herndon, Virginia. I am 53 and my husband 65… we would love to catch up with you. The other couple going with us live in Arlington—they are both about 50 …. BUT …. We ALL think like 30 year olds! We live right outside of Ocean City (Berlin). Do you have your cabin assignment yet? We don’t. I think we will probably go into Houston a day early—rent a car from Enterprise for one night—and just walk around the area. Touch bases with you later / Beth

We are not on this sailing but one next April and also looking for transfers to the port. The Privet car was close to $100 and I thought that was nuts for 2 people to use it. I just had no idea how far away the airport to the port was till now. OMG this is going to change many things for us I am sure now. May have to look at the rental car, it cant be any more then the privet driver is....

Archived