Viking or Avalon for Budapest to Amsterdam cruise

jdbb

Hello

My wife and I are in our early 50's, Australian, and have not been to Europe before. We are planning to do the Budapest to Amsterdam cruise next May.

Given the choice is between Avalon Artistry and Viking Pride, which one would you suggest might be better.

We would prefer not to be herded around on our shore excursions. How much freedom do you have while on shore?

All comments welcome and appreciated.

regards

John

I can only relate our experience of cruising aboard Avalon Poetry from Amsterdam to Budapest (haven't been on other lines) that the tours were well done with knowledgeable guides speaking clear English and usually followed by free time to explore/shop/get a snack etc. You always had the option of doing your own sightseeing as long as you returned to the bus or ship at the announced time. There was a separate group for slow or physically challenged walkers who needed to progress at a slower pace. As I stated on another thread, we found the walking to be easier than manageable and often went out on our own during the free time portion to get some more exercise. We had the jr. suite on Poetry which was an excellent accomodation and afforded us a great deal of comfort, especially during periods of rain showers or when the top deck was closed down due to passing under low bridges. Whatever line you cruise, I'm sure you will enjoy the "up-close" beauty of the passing scenery and the quaint towns, castles and sights all along the way. Enjoy!

Archived