Leaving ports

cruiselover96

Just watching the Sun leave Vila, Doesn't it bring back lots of wonderful memories. Can hear the music playing in the background. Now the partys about to begin again.

Love getting off at Vila and all the other ports with the islanders also playing their music. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhh..:p :) :)

Kerri

Port Vila is a lovely port. We've been there are couple of times to see the cruises come into Port Vila and Noumea (though I have never been on a cruise into these places!) and the band was playing away, all dressed up in their lovely suits were playing with a ittle market on the dock.

We followed a cruise in 1990 when it docked in Noumea then we saw it again at the Isle of Pines and then into Port Vila.

We did notice these places go crazy when the cruise ships come in, the taxis and buses all lined up at the ports. In Noumea the prices all went up in the restaurants and shops.

Funny how people have different views on things. I liked Vila but hated Noumea. I thought it was dirty and the people extremely rude. In fact, whilst ports weren't that important to us when we were looking at our cruise on The Sun, one of the reasons we picked the one we're on was because it didn't go to Noumea.

Kaz

I have never been to Vila but I have been to Noumea twice and both times (many years ago) and I agree - I found the place dirty and with a lot of very rude arrogant people. On this coming cruise we will probably stay on the ship that day as I want to enjoy my cruise - not get ripped off by the vendors there. We are going on this cruise for the sea days not the ports. Sea days are great. Total relaxation. Gayle

Yes, I like the sea days. It would be nice to have a sea day every second day. When I was on my cruise in '86, we went to Noumea (at that stage all the cruises went there) and we returned to the ship early and started our way through the cocktail list.

Karen

I agree, I am not a huge fan of Noumea. However last time we were there we went for a walk up to the morning markets (local market place under the big blue roofs, a little way up the road, not where the ship is berthed) and had a fantastic coffee. It cost us about $4 Australian (had to have CPF's) and was a large bowl. The markets are only open in the morning but if you want to stretch your legs it was worth the walk. There were a few stalls as well where we managed to pick up a few gifts that were different to what was where we docked.

We love Vila. Even though it normally rains and is stinking hot. Must be something to do with the cheap shopping. We tend to pick up most of our gifts for those at home from Vila as you can pick up some really cheap items from some of the shops in town. From memory it was about $2 per person in the bus and $10 per taxi to get into town. It is quite a long walk but people often do it. Not for me though. Too hot and too many hills! Also Vila has the best duty free prices we have found. You can get your duty free delivered to the ship and don't even have to worry about carrying it back. BTW we have never had a problem with it not arriving.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Archived