Good time to arrive a dock? - Summit 4/30/17 Bermuda cruise

Cinerama

Depends on what your strategy is. No right or wrong time. We boarded her in Bayonne in October and were there by 10 ish and on by 10:45. Going again in May and our strategy will be the same. We had no traffic issues at all and no wait anywhere. We were concierge so don't know if that makes a difference. Take everyone's advice and do what works for you........there is o right or wrong.

Bayonne traffic can be BAD. Like parking lot bad. I would not risk arriving in the afternoon. Plus, our last cruise from there the ship left early due to weather. We like to arrive around 10-10:30. Less stressful for us.

Also, I see you are coming from Cromwell. We drive from northern CT and take the Tappen Zee and the Garden State. Just preference but we avoid the NJT.

Bayonne traffic is bad on weekdays because of the construction at Turnpike Exit14A and the truck traffic going to the marine terminals and industrial areas. It is a breeze on Saturday or Sunday which the Summit is throughout most of the summer.

• 1 month later...
Everyone has a different strategy, but you do realize that some people are rushing off to catch a flight or avoid traffic, right?

Poor planning buddy. Easily remedied.

WE don't have it all wrong, we just choose to get there early, you don't.

Exactly. We like to be at the pier around 10 AM. That way we drop off our luggage, park, check in and boarding usually starts between 11 am and 11:30 am. Then we can relax and enjoy the ship before we have to unpack and attend muster drill.

Also when you arrive early you have your choice of good parking spots. You know what they say, "the early bird catches the worm."

Exactly. The very essence of getting on board early. Why wait somewhere else instead of ship?

You're all clearly missing TWG_ag's point. The OP asked for ways to miss the lines (note, lines PLURAL) and he delivered. The general consensus (as you have all proven) is to try to get there early, wait a bit for boarding to start, then rush to the common areas and wait for your room to be available. When the masses all have this same mentality you're with the majority waiting:

- for boarding to start

- in line at the buffet

- for rooms to open

As TWG_ag states, arriving later bypasses all of this. No waiting for boarding to start. Quicker check-in. No line to eat. No waiting on your room. How is that not more enjoyable than the stress of the throngs of people who *just* *can't* *wait* to start their vacation? I'd rather immediately start it than wait around with it just out of reach. But please do keep disagreeing because

I am not telling you to do it my way, in fact my way only works if everyone else rushes to be first.... Either way, have fun and enjoy your cruise. My next one is April 23rd. :D

You're all clearly missing TWG_ag's point. The OP asked for ways to miss the lines (note, lines PLURAL) and he delivered. The general consensus (as you have all proven) is to try to get there early, wait a bit for boarding to start, then rush to the common areas and wait for your room to be available. When the masses all have this same mentality you're with the majority waiting:

- for boarding to start

- in line at the buffet

- for rooms to open

I don't believe anyone missed the point of the offering of an alternate suggestion that is not with the majority, however when an opinion begins, "You guys have it all wrong..." as TWG_ag's did, it's bound to get the responses it did. In a later post downthread, he did state there is no right or wrong time when to arrive, but in the beginning he did tell them they were "wrong" in arriving early and why.

As for the OP's original question, Bayonne traffic is light on Sundays(way lighter than it is on the weekdays, that is) so either arriving early(10-10:30am) or late (after 1pm)both have benefits and drawbacks that have been discussed. Definitely make sure you have up to date GPS and/or bookmark a website like http://www.localconditions.com/weather-bayonne-new-jersey/07002/traffic.php in your phone, and the passenger can keep an eye on what's going on in real time. Enjoy your cruise, and enjoy Bermuda, it's one of my most favorite places.

- for boarding to start

- in line at the buffet

- for rooms to open

I don't believe anyone missed the point of the offering of an alternate suggestion that is not with the majority, however when an opinion begins, "You guys have it all wrong..." as TWG_ag's did, it's bound to get the responses it did. In a later post downthread, he did state there is no right or wrong time when to arrive, but in the beginning he did tell them they were "wrong" in arriving early and why.

As for the OP's original question, Bayonne traffic is light on Sundays(way lighter than it is on the weekdays, that is) so either arriving early(10-10:30am) or late (after 1pm)both have benefits and drawbacks that have been discussed. Definitely make sure you have up to date GPS and/or bookmark a website like http://www.localconditions.com/weather-bayonne-new-jersey/07002/traffic.php in your phone, and the passenger can keep an eye on what's going on in real time. Enjoy your cruise, and enjoy Bermuda, it's one of my most favorite places.

Oh so a rule of CC is that you can never say anyone is wrong? Good to know as a newb poster.