Is soot a problem on aft/stern cabin balconies?

ratfam

We did not have a soot problem on our aft balcony on the Ruby two years ago. However, we will not book another one because of a different problem. On high speed runs, 17+ knots, the noise from the wake is extremely loud, about 80 db or higher. It was such that after 15 minutes, we could not take the noise, so we did not get much use out of balcony since our cruise had many days for high speed runs. At lower speeds, the noise was not a problem. We like to relax on the balcony on sea days, but the noise was not relaxing. I would suggest that if possible, you find out the speeds needed to get from one port to another. In Europe, higher speeds may not be necessary.

I noticed quite a few aft balconies available for some upcoming Majestic sailings in Europe. I have always wanted to try an aft balcony and we are looking at possibly booking one of the sailings in the next few days.

Is anyone aware of any change of design in Majestic from Royal/Regal that might limit the soot differently? If not, since the itinerary only has 1 day at sea, I'm wondering if it will really be that large of an issue? I assume the room steward will clean any soot daily while we are in port and hopefully it wouldn't be bad at night while underway?

I know no-one can guarantee anything, especially on a new ship that hasn't launched yet. I just thought I'd get more info. from some of the aft-experienced cruisers out there.

It looks like there are aft balconies available on Decks 8-15. Is there a particular deck that might have less of a chance of being affected? (lower or higher?)

I noticed quite a few aft balconies available for some upcoming Majestic sailings in Europe. I have always wanted to try an aft balcony and we are looking at possibly booking one of the sailings in the next few days.

Is anyone aware of any change of design in Majestic from Royal/Regal that might limit the soot differently? If not, since the itinerary only has 1 day at sea, I'm wondering if it will really be that large of an issue? I assume the room steward will clean any soot daily while we are in port and hopefully it wouldn't be bad at night while underway?

I know no-one can guarantee anything, especially on a new ship that hasn't launched yet. I just thought I'd get more info. from some of the aft-experienced cruisers out there.

It looks like there are aft balconies available on Decks 8-15. Is there a particular deck that might have less of a chance of being affected? (lower or higher?)

The design is the same. Now whether they tweaked exhaust etc is unknown.

As far as availability I would not wait too long. Cabins available are very limited.

There are only a few cruises before she heads to Asia for good after leaving the shipyard.

The design is the same. Now whether they tweaked exhaust etc is unknown.

I was on the Royal Maiden TA, and know the Royal and Regal were designed differently and aft cabins had awful soot problems. Does anyone know for certain if those problems still exist? or have they done something to minimize/alleviate it? Anyone sailed in one of those aft cabins on either ship recently?

Berni

Just booked a premium balcony right along the back of Deck 10 of the Caribbean Princess for a European cruise this summer. We really use our balcony when we have one and keep the door open when we are in the room (but not overnight) and were excited about the advertised wake views. Then my mother said she had a friend (and frequent Princess cruiser) who had a rear-facing suite on a Princess ship and that they would never do it again because of soot problems. Can anyone who had cruised in a rear-facing balcony, on Caribbean Princess or otherwise, let me know if they found soot to be a problem? Thanks!

On the Grand , Star, and the CB each 10 day cruises, we never saw any soot on either Dolphin, or Cribe decks aft suites.

I was on the Royal Maiden TA, and know the Royal and Regal were designed differently and aft cabins had awful soot problems. Does anyone know for certain if those problems still exist? or have they done something to minimize/alleviate it? Anyone sailed in one of those aft cabins on either ship recently?

Berni

The Royal and Regal are the same and according to comments here on CC they both still have soot problems.

• 6 months later...

Berni

I did the Majestic june this year Singapore to Shaghi. had 21 days of soot falling onto me...balcony on D731 was a waste of money...and it was a delux balcony as well...costs more.

Incidentally D731 is in the exact middle of the stern (back).