NCL Pearl Internet and Verizon Iphone

Imalismom

I tried to search and find this answer, but all the "internet: searches did not seem to answer on question.

At home, when I want to use my home Wifi with my Iphone, I go to settings, WIFI, enable WIFI and choose the network from my home, and put in my password. I am no longer using Verizon, but my home Wifi. I also have Wifi Assist turned off under Cellular on my IPhone.

On the pearl, I have the unlimited Internet package.

2 questions:

(1) How can I use the ships wifi on my phone and being assured I am not wracking up Version roaming charges on my phone? Should I bring a small laptop with me instead of trying to use my phone for text messages?

(2) If I have the unlimited Internet plan, does that include me using it to make a phone call? Or, is that something entirely different than internet?

Thanks in advance for your patience with me and your answer....

1) You will put your iPhone in Airplane Mode, then turn WiFi back on and connect to the ship's network. Then you will login through a portal served up by the ship's network. Then you just open up a browser, twitter, whatever as normal.

2) Phone calls are a different thing entirely. You could try using a VoIP app like Skype, but the ship's network might block or restrict that type of traffic. If you wish to make phone calls from the ship, you can do so from the stateroom phones (expensive) or through the iConcierge app (cheaper). Be sure you put the Norwegian iConcierge app on your devices before you board. Learn more about that here:

https://www.ncl.com/apps

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_062714.pdf

(1) How can I use the ships wifi on my phone and being assured I am not wracking up Version roaming charges on my phone? Should I bring a small laptop with me instead of trying to use my phone for text messages?

Like at home, you turn on your wifi and connect to the ship's wifi. Each time you connect, you will have to login to the ship's system (you set up a userid and password the first time you access the system - the internet café manager is available to help you). Then you can send and receive emails and send and receive iMessage text messages from any other iPhone user. You can not text non-iPhone devices.

When you board the ship, you with either turn your phone on to airplane mode, or set you phone to prevent data roaming, or turn cellular data off. That will prevent your phone from trying to access the Verizon network for data.

If you don't want to accept phone calls, just turn airplane mode on and you will go off the grid until you return home.

(2) If I have the unlimited Internet plan, does that include me using it to make a phone call? Or, is that something entirely different than internet?

Phone calls will incur an international roaming charge ($3/minute for many carriers). There are services such as iPhone facetime (audio) that you can use for free to call other iPhone users (practice at home before you go). Of paid services like Skype (audio) that will allow you to call for a small flat fee.

Thanks in advance for your patience with me and your answer....

Enjoy your cruise.

Past reports in this forum suggests Skype is not blocked on Pearl and that internet is fast enough to support Skype voice calls. Before you leave home, download the free Skype app onto your iPhone. If you are only going to be calling people in the United States, you can sign up for one month of unlimited calls to U.S. mobile and landline phones for $2.99 (you'll then need to cancel after your cruise). So long as you are OK with recent reports that the CIA is monitoring all Skype calls and saving text logs of your conversations, it's the cheapest, easiest way to call back into the U.S. from locations where you are dependent on wifi.