Just of Harmony.

mtebor

I also just got off of the harmony on 3/11. I agree with the op on most things. I strongly disagree on the ice show . I feel that the ice show on harmony was must better than on the allure in 2013. The allure had much nicer decore.they took away the donut shop on harmony. Also took away the little kaleidiscope things that were on the allure. The royal promenade had mush more appeal on the allure. The main atrium while riding up elevators was weak on harmony. The biggest thing rccl does wrong when it comes to dining was the my time dining. It really doesnt work very well when you still have to make a rez every night. I usually eat 3 lobsters. Mine was so tough i only ate 1 this time. Plenyy of chairs around pool area. Harmony also had lifeguards on duty. We were going to do all 4 oasis class ship but after this one that plan is on hold. The water /diving show was called the FINE LINE. We never really got the whole concept. It was a lot more noise and dancing than water and diving. It was a big let compared to the Alllure.

Edited by NIATPAC29
INFO

Yes, this is what I'm saying. The app gives you just enough wifi so that you can access the Royal IQ, therefore allowing a simple text on their wifi. We are all on airplane mode.

A text through the Royal IQ app or a text through your standard messaging app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same thought,

Yes, this is what I'm saying. The app gives you just enough wifi so that you can access the Royal IQ, therefore allowing a simple text on their wifi. We are all on airplane mode.

:confused: OK...so I guess I am just not getting it....HOW can you be getting the ship/Royal IQ wifi without paying something?? I would be afraid of charges on my next bill.....:eek: What does this mean?? The app gives you just enough wifi

I cannot imagine RCCL giving something away for free that they have a charge for......:o

:confused: OK...so I guess I am just not getting it....HOW can you be getting the ship/Royal IQ wifi without paying something?? I would be afraid of charges on my next bill.....:eek: What does this mean?? The app gives you just enough wifi

I cannot imagine RCCL giving something away for free that they have a charge for......:o

Sometimes they do that by mistake until they read about it here.

:confused: Hmmmm......:rolleyes:guess I will just play it safe and pay the $7.95 for each of us......;)

Why don't you wait until you are onboard, see if it works, and then pay if it doesn't. No discount for buying pre-cruise.

Why don't you wait until you are onboard, see if it works, and then pay if it doesn't. No discount for buying pre-cruise.

Will do.....nervous nellie about the possibility of charges though.....:rolleyes:(. I'm betting the OP will see text charges on his carrier's bill ...)

HI all,

Could anyone tell me if the Royal IQ app texting charge of $7.95 per phone would work for texting on the ship between an Iphone and an android?

Thank you!

Yes, that should work.

• 3 months later...

When we were on the Harmony both my husband and I had our iPhone's in airplane mode with wifi turned on. We had the one device internet package because I needed to be available for work. When I was connected and my husband was not sometimes he could randomly send or receive imessages. It wasn't reliable enough to depend on it, but it was helpful. We had no extra charges on our cell phone bill when we got back.

Here's a very non-technical explanation.

You can always connect to the wifi. You have to in order to log in or buy it.

The system uses software controls to keep data it doesn't want to go out from your device to the outside world or data come back to your device unless you pay.

If that software isn't written right, some data can still work.

The app, depending on what systems it needs to connect to and where those systems are, could make controlling the data flow more complicated.

So, it's entirely possible for iMessage to work by accident. I wouldn't worry about carrier charges, if your phone is on airplane mode nothing is touching your phone provider.

I also wouldn't count on it working on a future cruise. It's a bug and I'm sure the folks at RC or Harris CapRock (depending on whose system has the bug) are aware of it and have fixing it on their development plan somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Its a design flaw. The royal IQ message app uses the same communication/network strategy as Apple's imessage. The developers were lazy and copied apple's architecture. The will have to rewrite the royal iq app to "fix" it but since IT isn't this company's strong point don't expect it anytime soon.

Bottom line: if you have an apple phone, turn on airplane mode, connect to ships wifi and your texting will work with other apple devices for sure.