Diabetic diet on Celebrity

fastnloose

Hubby has Type II diabetes. He hasn't ever especially opted for a specific diabetic diet on Celebrity cruises, but even so he has had no trouble finding the food he needs to stay healthy while cruising. He keeps very careful track of his blood sugar and knows what kinds of food work well for him to maintain his sugar at optimum levels, so he chooses those foods.

He is also careful to time his meals to best stabilize his sugar. This can be a challenge on some excursions, because you can't always be certain how long an excursion will take regardless of what the information about the tour may say.

If you don't choose a specific diabetic meal plan, you can still always ask a waiter how a particular dish is prepared, Just steer clear of foods prepared with breading or rich sauces such as a rich BBQ sauce. Often there are desserts made sugar free, plus the dessert servings are usually very small, so that helps or just avoid dessert completely.

Hubby has Type II diabetes. He hasn't ever especially opted for a specific diabetic diet on Celebrity cruises, but even so he has had no trouble finding the food he needs to stay healthy while cruising. He keeps very careful track of his blood sugar and knows what kinds of food work well for him to maintain his sugar at optimum levels, so he chooses those foods.

He is also careful to time his meals to best stabilize his sugar. This can be a challenge on some excursions, because you can't always be certain how long an excursion will take regardless of what the information about the tour may say.

If you don't choose a specific diabetic meal plan, you can still always ask a waiter how a particular dish is prepared, Just steer clear of foods prepared with breading or rich sauces such as a rich BBQ sauce. Often there are desserts made sugar free, plus the dessert servings are usually very small, so that helps or just avoid dessert completely.

They had a good assortment of no sugar or no sugar added desserts in Blu. I just opted for veggies as a side and for lower carb foods. In no way was i perfect, it was vacation after all, but it wasn't hard to do well. Also with the deserts, just had a bite or two and called it good most of them, low or no sugar or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a Type II diabetic which I've control totally by diet for many years and have never had a problem ordering from the regular menu. :)

--> Be careful about those "sugar free" desserts ... not really all that good for diabetics. ;)

There is not a diabetic friendly menu, just as it is true of all restaurants that I have been on land. One just needs to be savvy in asking how a dish is prepared, sauces on the side and make substitutions from carbs to extra vegetables. From our experience, they are very accommodating. Beware of sugar free or no sugar added items. Many chefs use sugar alcohol and while it spikes the blood sugar less, it can cause severe hypoglycemia and bad stomach upset. We normally ask to make sure they only use products like Splenda and not sugar alcohol, before we consume sugar-free or no sugar added food.

I try to secure a cabin as far from my restaurant as possible and walk, walk, and walk. Seriously, the wait staff is not only familiar with their menu, they are very familiar with passengers who have alternate diets.

One thing in addition to the above mentioned posts that I'm sure you already do is bringing suitable snacks for excursions. Thank goodness there are finally some really great low carb choices now. Of course they must be pre-packaged and I have taken them on cruises for years on 5 continents with no problem. I do tend to declare them at airport entry in places like Chile where I know they will be circumspect.

You can enjoy your cruise without stressing!

I'm Diabetic, and there is NO real diabetic diet. You must find on your own what makes your blood sugar go up or down. For example, I can eat spaghetti and meat balls and have a great, morning BS reading, eating a hamburger with FF or potato or any beef combo and it goes high. I have a neighbor and he is just the opposite. On cruise ships it is easy to find something that makes your BS happy, basically CARB/Volume control.

We've taken their kitchen tours, and once a chef commented that they use Splenda in their sugar-free desserts.

If you aren't interested in the daily sugar-free dessert, you can order sliced fruit instead. I am happy with fresh strawberries and cream, sliced melon, or sugar-free Jello.

BTW, Cafe de Bacio has delicious sugar-free cookies.

For excursions, I usually make a small ham & cheese sandwich at breakfast, wrap it in a sandwich bag, and carry it in my purse just in case I get hungry.:cool: