Panama Canal Cruise - Phone/Binoculars & Humidity

rjohn40787

We will be doing a Panama Canal cruise beginning mid-April from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles. We have never been in high-humidity climates before, and are wondering what precautions or measure, if any, do we need to take with our iPhones. We are planning to take our phones with us on our shore excursions (Aruba, Cartagena, Puntarenas, San Juan del Sur, Huatulco, and Puerto Vallarta...as well as out on deck during our transit of the canal).

Will our phones be adversely affected by the humidity? Will the lenses fog up? Is there anything we can or should do to counteract the humidity? Would there be any benefit to bringing those silica gel packets for storing the iPhones in our stateroom when not in use...or is that unnecessary?

Same questions apply to our binoculars, which we will be using out on our balcony.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

We will be doing a Panama Canal cruise beginning mid-April from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles. We have never been in high-humidity climates before, and are wondering what precautions or measure, if any, do we need to take with our iPhones. We are planning to take our phones with us on our shore excursions (Aruba, Cartagena, Puntarenas, San Juan del Sur, Huatulco, and Puerto Vallarta...as well as out on deck during our transit of the canal).

Will our phones be adversely affected by the humidity? Will the lenses fog up? Is there anything we can or should do to counteract the humidity? Would there be any benefit to bringing those silica gel packets for storing the iPhones in our stateroom when not in use...or is that unnecessary?

Same questions apply to our binoculars, which we will be using out on our balcony.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure if you have a balcony or not but we put them on the table outside for 10 minutes or so to acclimate to the heat/humidity.

Had an issue years ago with a camera shutting down due to high moisture inside (moisture indicator) but it eventually dried out.

Have not had an issue since and we use ipad/phone/camera etc.

If you can't set them outside they will acclimate within 15-20 minutes anyway.

Our binoculars are sealed Jason auto focus 10X50's and the lens gets fogged up too but they will be ok when the temps equalize.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

What it did with my cameras/lens, was to wrap them in a towel, then wrap the towel was a plastic garment cover like you get back from the dry cleaners. I put them out on the balcony on the chair. It keeps the equipment from getting too much moisture on it when out on the balcony.This work great. If you do want some nice photos when aboard ship, you have to plan in advance to warm up the lens/camera, or you may miss the shot. I did not have any problems with my cell phone, but it was in my backpack, as I only carry it is case of an emergency.