Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier or Tracy Arm Fjord?

snowmc

Thoughts....

• it was kinda strange to see a bridge at the top when I clicked on that link for the glaciers...
  • What made Glacier Bay special for me was the size of the glacier that can be seen from the water compared to Sawyer.
  • there are two types of small excursions to Tracy Arm.... one is Juneau return and one is with a cruise ship transfer. Should the cruise ship transfer be emphasized as the better choice to maximize Juneau port time?
  • It's been mentioned that Sawyer is frequently inaccessible for glacier viewing and Endicott is substituted... especially in 2016. Does Endicott's Dawes glacier deserve to get a write up?

Thoughts....

• it was kinda strange to see a bridge at the top when I clicked on that link for the glaciers...
  • What made Glacier Bay special for me was the size of the glacier that can be seen from the water compared to Sawyer.
  • there are two types of small excursions to Tracy Arm.... one is Juneau return and one is with a cruise ship transfer. Should the cruise ship transfer be emphasized as the better choice to maximize Juneau port time?
  • It's been mentioned that Sawyer is frequently inaccessible for glacier viewing and Endicott is substituted... especially in 2016. Does Endicott's Dawes glacier deserve to get a write up?

I agree on the bridge. That's the Tower Bridge in London - which I'm going to see this summer for the first time. Sorry for the off topic comment - just excited to be going.;p

Also, agree with your thoughts about the small boat tour as a cruise ship transfer in Tracy Arm. It's really difficult for newbies to understand the differences and pros and cons as compared with the tour out of Juneau.

On my last trip to Alaska, we saw Endicott Arm and I very much enjoyed it. Could be worth a mention.

A few additional comments: Perhaps my experience was unusual, but I disagree with the glacier calving predictions. There was nothing memorable about Hubbard calving, if we saw any at all. Margerie glacier had multiple incidents of significant calving for us.

Thanks for the work you put into your write-up snowmc. I'm sure it will be very valuable to many readers here.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have made note of them. I used the Tower Bridge photo because it is a travel blog and the bridge denotes travel to me. May make a change in the future....maybe a map?

• 3 months later...

Loved the info in the blog, very helpful. We did Hubbard Glacier early in the season and at the time there was quite a few calving incidents... I suspect that calving activity depends upon the time of the year, and temperature. We lucked out when we went in May... we were told it was one of the only times the crew had been able to see the top of the mountains...