Epicurean Courses

FluffyFiFi

Just wondering if anyone knows if you can order several items off the Epicurean menu - I was looking through and the deserts all look so tempting I would like to try two, is this possible and can you have the cheese course as well? Don't mean to sound greedy but I do enjoy cheese after a meal and have a sweet tooth!

Just wondering if anyone knows if you can order several items off the Epicurean menu - I was looking through and the deserts all look so tempting I would like to try two, is this possible and can you have the cheese course as well? Don't mean to sound greedy but I do enjoy cheese after a meal and have a sweet tooth!

In Epicurean on Britannia, I told the waiter that I was really struggling to chose between two desserts. "No problem Sir, I will get you both". I haven't had cheese on Britannia, but they do list it as a desert with the inference that it is either / or.

However, on Ventura a few weeks back a couple of us asked for cheese after desert. They did make a bit of a fuss about it ("we will have to get some from the main dining room as it's been cleared away") but as we were all growing quite tired of the poor service we had experienced on the ship and were paying a good price for the meal, one of our friends said "thank you - that would be great". Needless to say, when it arrived, it was good quality cheese and not the bland stuff offered in the main dining rooms, so it was just that they couldn't be bothered.

I hope and believe that the poor service in Epicurean on Ventura (which we also used daily for breakfast) was purely down to it being a short cruise. Epicurean on Britannia has always been absolutely superb.

So, in summary, if you would like both just ask and they will oblige. Enjoy!

In Epicurean on Britannia, I told the waiter that I was really struggling to chose between two desserts. "No problem Sir, I will get you both". I haven't had cheese on Britannia, but they do list it as a desert with the inference that it is either / or.

However, on Ventura a few weeks back a couple of us asked for cheese after desert. They did make a bit of a fuss about it ("we will have to get some from the main dining room as it's been cleared away") but as we were all growing quite tired of the poor service we had experienced on the ship and were paying a good price for the meal, one of our friends said "thank you - that would be great". Needless to say, when it arrived, it was good quality cheese and not the bland stuff offered in the main dining rooms, so it was just that they couldn't be bothered.

I hope and believe that the poor service in Epicurean on Ventura (which we also used daily for breakfast) was purely down to it being a short cruise. Epicurean on Britannia has always been absolutely superb.

Short cruiseitis. I am afraid, I read about it a lot. But I do not do short cruises so I have not experienced it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Short cruiseitis. I am afraid, I read about it a lot. But I do not do short cruises so I have not experienced it.

We had read reports of short cruises being partygoers, hen parties etc and were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't like that at all (it was a 4 night though, which might have been the reason, as I believe this is more the case on 2 night cruises). We did a 7 night cruise on Britannia last year and service was far better. Strange that just 3 days more makes all the difference!

I think we will adopt your approach Dai and avoid them in future. As you can do the fabulous Fjords on a 7 day, which I don't think we would easily tire of, I think that will become our 'minimum' going forward.

We had read reports of short cruises being partygoers, hen parties etc and were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't like that at all (it was a 4 night though, which might have been the reason, as I believe this is more the case on 2 night cruises). We did a 7 night cruise on Britannia last year and service was far better. Strange that just 3 days more makes all the difference!

I think we will adopt your approach Dai and avoid them in future. As you can do the fabulous Fjords on a 7 day, which I don't think we would easily tire of, I think that will become our 'minimum' going forward.

We don't do short ones mainly because of the distance we have to travel. In Oct we are doing a 5 night on Azura. But we are on for 17 nights on the cruise before. I suspect we will get just as good service on both cruises.

Thank you for your reply, it is very helpful. I agree with the short cruises not giving the same level of service which is very poor considering they usually cost more per night than the longer ones. Saying that we still enjoy the odd weekend on board but as we only live 30 minutes from Southampton it isn't too much effort to get there and we know what to expect. It is our first time on Britannia in October and we are looking forward to making up our own mind on this "marmite" ship.

Thank you for your reply, it is very helpful. I agree with the short cruises not giving the same level of service which is very poor considering they usually cost more per night than the longer ones. Saying that we still enjoy the odd weekend on board but as we only live 30 minutes from Southampton it isn't too much effort to get there and we know what to expect. It is our first time on Britannia in October and we are looking forward to making up our own mind on this "marmite" ship.

You are welcome. We have been on Britannia twice and have a third booked. She is a lovely ship. All very modern, with the best cabin furnishings in the fleet (fantastic big screen interactive digital TV's with a great picture, glass shower screens etc), the best buffet layout and excellent overall facilities. The Select dining venues are all First Class and well worth the supplements. It also has a Crows Nest, a poor omission on Ventura and Azura. Biggest faults are the lack of a promenade deck and shallow balconies. The ship swallows the large guest numbers well and doesn't feel any buisier than the smaller ships. Expect the majority of passengers to be first timers. We were surprised on a 2 week Med cruise to hear from the Captain that over 60% were first time P&O cruisers. Enjoy.