Viking promotions

cruisewiththekids

I am just recently starting to look at river cruises, so I'm not familiar with the pattern of sales and promotions. Currently Viking is offering $295 air. I've seen reference to free air being offered in the past. Should I wait for a better promotion, or do they just adjust the cruise fare up when they offer free air so that the promotions really don't matter?

I am just recently starting to look at river cruises, so I'm not familiar with the pattern of sales and promotions. Currently Viking is offering $295 air. I've seen reference to free air being offered in the past. Should I wait for a better promotion, or do they just adjust the cruise fare up when they offer free air so that the promotions really don't matter?

I think the free air is for cruises they are pushing that month, if you go to the web site you will see which ones are being offered with free airfare. It seems that each month they offer a different incentive and of course always the half price for the cruise

Sign up for e-mail alerts from whatever companies you are considering. If you can go short notice, you can get deals. Viking does seem to push the included air when they need to fill cabins.

With Vantage, in January they offered really low prices for 3 of their cruises. The next month, they were regular fare with included airfare and a post-trip extension. As of 2 days ago, it is back to the low price, with 2 of the routes being the same as in January.

All these deals were good for 3 days only, and the details were not on the web site, you had to enter the code from the e-mail. I would have taken the Rhine/Moselle sailing offer, but we are heading to Scotland in May. Great problems to have.

Just re-read the Viking offer. It says airfare FROM $295. I wonder if that means most flights will be more. As I'm comparing different cruise lines, whether I could truly get air for $295 would make a big difference in my decision. I'm looking for a Rhine cruise mid April 2018.

Hello there.

In our experience with Viking Air - the "from $295" means from major airports. Sometimes there is an additional cost when travelling from say St. Louis, or Kansas City, etc. In the past, this upcharge was around $100 or so.

Of course, if you obtain a quote, you'll know for sure :)

Due to the popularity of the Rhine cruise, you should book sooner than later. We booked our upcoming (April 1st) Rhine Getaway last June, and it was nearly sold out when we did.

Jeff

Hi -

Now is the time to shop for Rhine cruises for 2018 - especially if you are set on a specific date, or date range. Viking does offer some pretty good air deals, and you will get your transfers if you book their air. But - they often will ask for full payment quite soon (ie; you may need to pay in full before end of summer) to get the deal.

Emerald Waterways has pretty competitive pricing - depending on where you live. Emerald is an Australian company, and the US dollar is quite strong right now so the prices are good. They also include all gratuities - and transfers even if you don't book their air. Emerald's parent company - Scenic often offers free air as an early booking incentive. They are higher end - so more money - but truly all inclusive.

We booked 2 cruises with Avalon for this year. They were offering "free air" for the 1st one --> Amsterdam to Brussels. BUT - the free air was with Iceland Air, and involved an 8 hour layover in Iceland on the way over. We decided to take the discount (it was an either/or scenario) instead so that we could fly direct. However, Avalon was amazing and said if we would pay the difference between the Iceland Air - and Air Canada (which is the airline that gives me direct flights) they would honour the free air offer. In the end, we got our flights for $275 - taxes in. Our 2nd one was booked because of a smoking deal (40% off) but they gave us a good deal on the air as well.

Your best price will be now - as many companies are offering 2018 at 2017 prices. The minute the boat starts to fill up, the prices go up. If you are flexible on dates or itinerary, you can wait and see if the price drops.

Enjoy your planning!! Let us know what you decide to do...

Fran