Nervous First Time Cruiser

cfmoore76

Now is the time to make sure your documents are up to date and valid.

For a closed loop (round trip) cruise you could use your birth certificate and driver's license or state ID. The BC needs to be government issues. BUT if you miss the ship you'll have to get to the nearest consulate to get a passport. Consulates are not necessarily near cruise ports.

Thanks for the excellent advice!! Can you drop your bags off anytime?? I think our scheduled time is 10:30 or 11:30 I would have to look. Do we drop them off then or before then? Then you think we should go walk around before getting on board?

Your scheduled time is for when you can get into the terminal to check in. The porters are outside and you can drop your luggage off before then. Last time I checked it was starting at 9am for New Orleans, but I wouldn't do so before 10:30 myself. Many people are overwhelmed by the huge crowds, so I suggest first-timers go for check in later if you can so that you avoid the lines and can get to your room when you board to drop off your carry-ons. New Orleans is a good place for this because the mall is right next door (most ports aren't within walking distance of anything) and some consider it a sin not to eat Cafe Du Monde beignets while there. But it is a bit of a walk and not everyone is up for it because of disability (there are two sets of stairs and no ramps between the cruise terminal and the back entrance to the mall), tiredness, hauling carry-ons or kids, apprehension, etc., etc. It's sooooo up to what suits you.

BUT, that is just a suggestion. Some people are really anxious to get onboard right away, so going early or late are better than going right in the middle at noon when the crowds are largest. Just understand that if you go early, you won't be able to get to your room until 1:30pm. Many people check in at 10:30, get on around 11am and head to the Lido to eat. They find a table and leave their carry-ons with one person to watch while everyone gets their food. Then they just hang out there until the rooms open up. All options will get you on the ship, so go with what makes you comfortable.

Excellent advice about a watch. Make sure you know what time to be back onboard. The ship will not wait for you. Cell phones have a habit of switching to local time.

Learn how to turn off your cell service and data. Wifi will turn on in airplane mode. Otherwise you'll be in shock when you see your bill.

Yes I should take a watch -- and I should figure that out about my cell phone as well! Hmmm .... Guess I should call AT&T. That should be fun.

I was wondering about the picture costs of this! Since it is just my son and I that means I will be paying for the whole thing myself and I think they offer a cd as well. I know this will cost me an arm and leg :-( And I know I will want them all because it will be a once in a lifetime thing for me. Yikes!!! Strange about the food they serve. I know lunch is included just a weird thing to serve.

I think I will park at Fulton -- cheaper and I haven't heard of anyone having any issues there.

You all are making me feel so much better and relaxed about it all. Thank you!!! Just go with the flow I know we will have fun.

Fulton could be full, so I would prepay for your parking spot. I believe they offer a discount if you pay early. IF YOU DO THIS, make sure you bring your confirmation with you. You must show it when you pull into the deck.

You will have a blast with your son. What a great senior trip! If you get up before 8:00 - 8:30, you will not have any problem finding two pool chairs together. If you get up after that, you might not find two lounge chairs together on the Lido deck, but you could find two chairs together somewhere. There are many places to soak up the sun in a lounger.

You are on a great itinerary and will enjoy every port, and there is usually time to enjoy the port before getting back on the ship. It just depends how long your excursion is.

Fulton could be full, so I would prepay for your parking spot. I believe they offer a discount if you pay early. IF YOU DO THIS, make sure you bring your confirmation with you. You must show it when you pull into the deck.

You will have a blast with your son. What a great senior trip! If you get up before 8:00 - 8:30, you will not have any problem finding two pool chairs together. If you get up after that, you might not find two lounge chairs together on the Lido deck, but you could find two chairs together somewhere. There are many places to soak up the sun in a lounger.

You are on a great itinerary and will enjoy every port, and there is usually time to enjoy the port before getting back on the ship. It just depends how long your excursion is.

Thank you I didn't realize you could prepay the parking I will try to do that today! I am so excited and so glad I found this board. You all are making me feel so much more relaxed :D

I think you will love a cruise!My favorite excursion in our 17 years of cruising was the Dolphin Encounter/Swim With Dolphins.

Keep in mind - if you have a question while onboard, the crew on the ship most always can answer it for you.

My hint; if there isn't a dessert you like at dinner in Main Dining Room, ask for a banana split from the children's menu (it's a perfect/small size).

Wishing you a wonderful cruise!

Thanks for this. I asked for confirmation about ordering a banana split in another thread and I don't think anyone replied yet.

Thanks for this. I asked for confirmation about ordering a banana split in another thread and I don't think anyone replied yet.

You can order anything you want off of the menu, and as many of an item as you want. My daughter loves the spring rolls, and always orders two for an appetizer. On lobster night (free on 7 night cruises), my husband always orders two lobsters. There have been a couple of times that I couldn't decide which dessert I wanted, so I just ordered both! Whatever you want, just ask. If you can't decide between two entrees, order them both! If you don't like what you've ordered, ask the waiter to bring you something else. They are more than happy to accommodate you.

Always read the Fun Times (a detailed schedule of the day's activities) that your room steward will put in your room each night. That way, you won't miss anything.

Which ship are you sailing on? What is the exact itinerary?

we always head down and put our name in for YTD about 30 minutes before we would actually be ready for seating. Then go grab a drink and hang out for our name to get called. people watching is always good around the atrium. :) In our experience, the only times the wait was very long was during peak times. 6pm - 7:30pm. We seem to always eat earlier or later than that and it works out just fine.

I just got back from my first cruise about a month ago, and I was kind of freaked out before I went. I shouldn't have been freaked out. They are there to make sure you have an amazing time and help you in any way possible --the employees go out of their way to help you and make sure you have a good experience on board. If you have questions just ask.

Did you book your excursions through Carnival? We found the informational session about excursions on the first full day really helpful (you'll find the information about when and where it is in the Fun TImes pamphlet left in your room on the first night. It sounded like it might be mostly about excursions we could book, but there was also a lot of general information that made us feel much more relaxed and like we knew what we were doing. We didn't go to any of the daily meetings about excursions though. We only had one day when we didn't have ANY time to do some shopping, and we went on an exceptionally long excursion, so you are probably fine.

The first day the ship felt crowded, but after that the crowds thinned. I think everyone kind of calmed down and spread out around the ship. Your Sail and Sign card is your lifeline. We both made a practice of bringing ours with, which was good because one night I forgot mine and my friend had hers so we weren't locked out. We had waterproof pouches for our valuables on our beach day, and they worked VERY well, but if you use them make sure they are good ones.

Fulton Parking is great. Parked a 1 month old car there last August. No problems, no scratches. When walking around New Orleans, walk with your head up, shoulders back. Those seen as weak can be a target in any big city. We had 12:30 check-in time. Got there about 1pm, and walked right past everyone else waiting in line. Waited about 15 minutes after check-in, and then started the winding ramps up to the ship and on aboard. Vacation started!