Great Stirrup Cay

Jersey1974

Are you allowed to do your own snorkeling adventure or do you have to pay for the excursion?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can do your own. We took our gear so not sure if they rent it as well.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

You can do your own. We took our gear so not sure if they rent it as well.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

They do rent. It's $30 for the full set; includes mask, snorkel, vest & fins. $19 for the snorkel and vest. We did the latter and it was well worth the money, you are free to use it all day.

We always carry our own gear to GSC.

HOWEVER, there is little shade on the island and the sun can get brutal. Invest in a clamshell. On mega ships, they will sell out long before you get to the island, so use one of the touch screen kiosks in the public areas of the ship to rent one. Once you are on the island, the clam shell attendant will help you get it set up. Select one with the mesh ventilation panel in the back. Solid canvas clam shells get really hot and you could end up being a baked clam.

On the main beach, there are some rocks just in front of the Bacardi Bar with lots of fish (and you don't have to swim out too far).

Don't forget the vest. My first time I was unaware of the requirement to have a buoyancy vest, and was unable to snorkel unless I plunked down to the money to rent.

Do you remember how much it was just for the vest? Bringing our own gear but we don't have vests.

I didn't rent the vest. We had done the wave runner and were only planning to snorkel for a short time before heading back to the ship, so we decided it wasn't worth it. We did go out briefly with our cameras and masks to see what could be seen (not much compared to other sites I've visited).

And when we got home we ordered snorkel vests from a->z so it wouldn't happen again. I think they were pretty cheap, but it was 3 years ago and I'm comparing the memory of buying vests to the memory of buying my dive gear, so ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...