La Romana (HAL Zaandam 12/21 Cruise)Questions

WHITELINEN

Stopping at this port Christmas Eve day. Looking for recommendations...

Has anyone taken the day boat trip to Saona Island? I have two teenage sons, and they rolled their eyes when it said a two hour catamaran sail back.

Has anyone gone to Altos de Chavon. This is a much shorter trip and may be interesting..... or should we just stay on the ship and relax???

Greetings!

I will also be in that cruise, I can't wait. I did RCCL Explorer of the Seas 3 months ago, and I can't wait to try Holland-America.

I used to live in the Dominican Republic, and I can tell you that there is not much to do in La Romana port. Altos de Chavon, a recreated 16th century type village is interesting and fun; you do feel like you are back in time, but is fake. I'm personally taking the Santo Domingo tour, as the capital city is a facinating place: a potpourri of everything- the old, the new, the bizarre, the rich, the poor. But this tour is probably not the best choice for a pair of teens, unless they enjoy long bus rides and interesting sights. Actually, it seems to me that the Saona trip would be more in line with today's teens as it has all the elements of fun. There is a great website for information about the DR: www.dr1.com.

Archived