Noro-Virus on Coral

newbee58

We use our own bathroom only. I bring a pump antibacterial soap with us we to wash hands.

When using elevators - use your knuckle to push the buttons instead of fingertips. (Something I learned from a friend who had a kidney transplant.)

If using the staircase, use a hankie or forearm to hold onto the railing. No hands.

We've been on many winter cruises when noro has been rampant on the ship. When at it's worst, they take everything off the tables and will come serve you your rolls, salt and pepper your food, or spoon the items you want on your pate in the buffet.

In our 15 cruises, we have never come down with it. Just use proper sanitary practices and you should be fine.

We use our own bathroom only. I bring a pump antibacterial soap with us we to wash hands.

When using elevators - use your knuckle to push the buttons instead of fingertips. (Something I learned from a friend who had a kidney transplant.)

If using the staircase, use a hankie or forearm to hold onto the railing. No hands.

We've been on many winter cruises when noro has been rampant on the ship. When at it's worst, they take everything off the tables and will come serve you your rolls, salt and pepper your food, or spoon the items you want on your pate in the buffet.

In our 15 cruises, we have never come down with it. Just use proper sanitary practices and you should be fine.

I do the same. And in spite of washing my hands before eating I use the sanitizer before I eat, just in case I have inadvertently touched some surface on my way that is contaminated. Cross my fingers, no on board maladies yet. Oh, and if I do use the buffet I go back and sanitize again before eating. And use a napkin to move my chair in. Overkill? Maybe. But it has worked so far.

Of course if the food is handled by someone who has the virus none of the above would help.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just got off the Coral Princess. The cases of Noro were declining yesterday. They did a great job handling it and keeping everyone informed, as well as constantly reminding everyone to wash their hands. I didn't know anyone who got sick and there was little disruption of services. The buffet was switched from self service to crew serving and the crew was wiping everything down constantly. The crew members looked worn out by all the extra duties and cleaning, though.

Those who got sick were probably quarantined inside their cabin.

What ever the problem is, the Coral is still along side the pier as of 6:45pm Eastern time. Been watching the webcam and the engines had started around 6pm along with some bow thruster action and two of the three aft mooring lines pulled in. Since then the two aft lines have been re-secured to the bollard on the pier.

Along with bringing my own hand sanitizer I also bring anti-bacterial liquid hand soap

Although the anti-bacterial soaps will help protect against bacteria caused disease, they are of zero value in protecting you from the norovirus or any other kind of virus.

By the way, it may be very hard to find anti-bacterial soaps any more in the USA as the F.D.A. has banned the use of most of the chemicals used in them.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/09/02/492394717/fda-bans-19-chemicals-used-in-antibacterial-soaps

Although the anti-bacterial soaps will help protect against bacteria caused disease, they are of zero value in protecting you from the norovirus or any other kind of virus.

By the way, it may be very hard to find anti-bacterial soaps any more in the USA as the F.D.A. has banned the use of most of the chemicals used in them.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/09/02/492394717/fda-bans-19-chemicals-used-in-antibacterial-soaps

From what I understand, part of the reason antibacterial soap is now discouraged is it encourages the development of superbugs for which there is no effective treatment. Washing correctly with regular soap is the way to go.

I also need to repeat and stress the fact that hand sanitizer does NOTHING to keep you from getting the Noro virus. It is only effective against bacteria. The biggest problem I see is people rely on hand sanitizer in place of frequent washing of hands.

Whenever and where ever I travel I carry Lysol wipes. Planes nowadays are notoriously bad for not being clean as turnaround times are so quick at the gates. I know whenever I sit down I see smudges and fingerprints on the screens or coffee drops on the tray, you can bet I'm wiping down EVERYTHING. Even in hotel rooms and cruise cabins, doesn't hurt to wipe down objects like the remote or door handles.

The general consensus is that even alcohol-based sanitizers, like Purell, and wipes may be of little value, and certainly less than a good washing with soap and water.

Howerver, there are some promising products that would seem to be better that nothing:

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/which-hand-sanitizers-kill-stomach-flu-viruses

I just ordered hydrogen peroxide wipes buy Clorox from Amazon, they claim to kill norovirus. Having had norovirus on my last cruise on the Crown, I never want to go through that again. Not only will I completely wipe down my stateroom I am bringing disposable gloves to wear in the Horizon Court and when using handrails. And I also bought hand spray from Amazon that I will use constantly in conjunction with hand washing. I may look like a freak, but I lost 3 days of the cruise when I had it and without going into details, norovirus is nothing like a normal flu.

The general consensus is that even alcohol-based sanitizers, like Purell, and wipes may be of little value, and certainly less than a good washing with soap and water.

Howerver, there are some promising products that would seem to be better that nothing:

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/which-hand-sanitizers-kill-stomach-flu-viruses

I bought two of those products and forgot to pack them in June, so I don't know if they work. I am taking them on the 28th and really hope they're effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just ordered hydrogen peroxide wipes buy Clorox from Amazon, they claim to kill norovirus. Having had norovirus on my last cruise on the Crown, I never want to go through that again. Not only will I completely wipe down my stateroom I am bringing disposable gloves to wear in the Horizon Court and when using handrails. And I also bought hand spray from Amazon that I will use constantly in conjunction with hand washing. I may look like a freak, but I lost 3 days of the cruise when I had it and without going into details, norovirus is nothing like a normal flu.

I assume you will wipe down the stateroom each day after staff services it.

We have sailed on 15 cruises and not one person in my family of 4 has ever gotten sick with cold, flu or noro virus. In fact, we travel a lot planes, boats, where ever and never get sick. Even my children when starting to cruise at the age of 4 and 6 never got sick or get sick. In the last 5-6 yrs, we all collective have only been sick a hand full of times.

We aren't super worried about washing hands like crazy but I do make sure our immune systems are in prepared in advanced. We take high doses of Vit D3 which boosts immune function. In countries like Japan they actually use Vit D3 in place of flu vaccinations. If you are traveling and want an tank like immune system, I highly recommend Vit D.