Half moon cay question

august1963

Due to bad knees, I have a hard time staying on my feet for very long. Can I take a rollator (walker) to HMC? Also, we've rented a cabin. Is there transportation to get us to it if we choose one further down the beach? Walking could be an issue. If any one who has rented a cabin can give me insight on a good choice (something near bathrooms, near BBQ, etc.) it would be much appreciated.

You should be fine with the rollator, I believe last time there was someone with a power wheelchair on our tender. You will really enjoy the cabana. As far as location, 1 is closest to where the tenders dock with 14 the furthest away. The lower numbers are closer to the food and bathrooms and bars and will have more noise and activity nearby. The higher numbers are much quieter if that's what you're looking for. We had number 12 and it was amazing, very relaxing and enjoyable place to spend the day. They do have a tram/truck that can drop you off and pick you up. It's been a few years since we were there so some of the details are a bit fuzzy so maybe someone else can chime in that's been more recently.

We are going back next month though, can't wait!

We were at HMC last September..we rented cabana #9, the restrooms are directly behind it. It is just a short walk to the BBQ, for the most part it is a paved path. As far as getting to your cabana, once you are on the island you must sign in at a info booth then someone will drive you to your cabana. (There is a lane behind all the cabanas) We have been to HMC a couple of times and find that 8,9 or 10 have all worked well for us..far enough away from the crowds, but still close enough to all the important stuff. You will love it! :D:D:D We will be there again at the end of April 2017! Cant wait:cool::cool::cool:

You should be fine with the rollator, I believe last time there was someone with a power wheelchair on our tender. You will really enjoy the cabana. As far as location, 1 is closest to where the tenders dock with 14 the furthest away. The lower numbers are closer to the food and bathrooms and bars and will have more noise and activity nearby. The higher numbers are much quieter if that's what you're looking for. We had number 12 and it was amazing, very relaxing and enjoyable place to spend the day. They do have a tram/truck that can drop you off and pick you up. It's been a few years since we were there so some of the details are a bit fuzzy so maybe someone else can chime in that's been more recently.

We are going back next month though, can't wait!

Thanks for taking the time to answer - We are sailing on 5/21 - it can't get here fast enough!

Thank you for your responses. We are sailing from Baltimore on the Pride on 5/21 and can't wait! Our first was a short cruise to the Bahamas out of Miami in 1998, a high school graduation gift for our daughter. We took an excursion on a party boat to Carnival's private island at that time and remember it being one of the highlights of our vacation.

Thank you for your responses. We are sailing from Baltimore on the Pride on 5/21 and can't wait! Our first was a short cruise to the Bahamas out of Miami in 1998, a high school graduation gift for our daughter. We took an excursion on a party boat to Carnival's private island at that time and remember it being one of the highlights of our vacation.

You sure are in for a treat! We were going to book this also, but something came up. Baltimore is a great port to sail out of and Pride is the BEST! We will be going on a Journeys cruise on her in January. Our 5th and 6th week on her! HMC is gorgeous and truth be told, Grand Turk is probably our favorite POC just because it's such a pretty beach, beautiful water and so easy just to walk on and off the ship. BON VOYAGE!

You sure are in for a treat! We were going to book this also, but something came up. Baltimore is a great port to sail out of and Pride is the BEST! We will be going on a Journeys cruise on her in January. Our 5th and 6th week on her! HMC is gorgeous and truth be told, Grand Turk is probably our favorite POC just because it's such a pretty beach, beautiful water and so easy just to walk on and off the ship. BON VOYAGE!

Grand Turk is one of our favorite ports in the Caribbean. It is extremely easy to get off the ship and being on the beach in less than five minutes. There is Jimmy Buffett Margaritaville right at the end of the pier. If you want to take a walk on the beach to the right, there are a few private bars that have beers for less money then Margaritaville. We even like this stop more than HMC. The pool at Margaritaville is huge, and they have flow riders if you're into that. Have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think there is such thing as a bad cabana lol... it's a shame they were all sold out by the time we booked this cruise! We didn't even go to the bbq for lunch because we filled up on the vegetable and fruit tray. A bar waiter came by soon after arriving at our cabana and he checked back periodically throughout the day so we really had no reason to leave except for going in the water. It was nice they provided floats and I think they also had snorkel gear but we have our own so I don't remember exactly.

Grand Turk is one of our favorite ports in the Caribbean. It is extremely easy to get off the ship and being on the beach in less than five minutes. There is Jimmy Buffett Margaritaville right at the end of the pier. If you want to take a walk on the beach to the right, there are a few private bars that have beers for less money then Margaritaville. We even like this stop more than HMC. The pool at Margaritaville is huge, and they have flow riders if you're into that. Have a great time.

I have to make a confession: I agree with every word you wrote! Give me Grand Turk ANYTIME. :cool::D My favorite cruises are when GT is the last POC. (y)(y)

My perfect cruise would be if CCL would anchor off HMC for five nights and tender me back and forth each day. It is truly paradise.

1000% agree!!! Half Moon Cay was exquisite. So serene and peaceful. We had the best time there, sitting on loungers or floating on rafts.. it was just the ultimate in relaxation and so incredibly beautiful

HMC and Grand Turk are pretty much my all-time favorite ports of call, and they've been in the itineraries of my last four Carnival cruises. (Haven't always made it to HMC, though.)

Due to bad knees, I have a hard time staying on my feet for very long. Can I take a rollator (walker) to HMC? Also, we've rented a cabin. Is there transportation to get us to it if we choose one further down the beach? Walking could be an issue. If any one who has rented a cabin can give me insight on a good choice (something near bathrooms, near BBQ, etc.) it would be much appreciated.

If mobility is a serious issue for you, you might want to consider Cabana #1. It is the only cabana that is handicapped accessible with a ramp. Since you have a disability, I'd suggest emailing shoreexcursions@Carnival.com with your sailing info and reservation number and see if they can reserve #1 for you in advance. If they can, KEEP THEIR EMAIL and bring it with you when you check in for your cabana on board. I'd suggest hurrying to the ShoreEx desk ASAP on general principles, just in case they try to give it away to someone else.

If your mobility issue is less serious I'd suggest any cabana out to #10; beyond that and you're getting a bit far from the BBQ buffet, although there are bathrooms behind #9. I've had #9 and #11 in the past and loved it. Floaty mats and snorkeling gear will be provided and it's a great way to spend your day. The tram that runs behind the cabanas on the road will pick you up if they have room when they encounter you. It was not handicapped accessible the last time I was there.

There is going to be a test asking which private island is owned by which cruise lines and if you do not get 100% no getting off the ship.:)

Oooh! Oooh! Mr. Kotter! Mr. Kotter! :D

let's see....

Half Moon Cay -- real name: Little San Salvador -- owned by Holland America Line

CocoCay -- real name: Little Stirrup Cay -- owned by Royal Caribbean

Great Stirrup Cay -- real name: same thing! -- owned by Norwegian (it's next to CocoCay)

Castaway Cay -- real name: Gorda Cay -- owned by Disney...and it has a dock

Princess Cay -- real name: Eleuthera -- part of it is owned by Princess. I'm pretty sure they don't own the entire island. :)

Grand Turk -- real name: Grand Turk -- not owned by Carnival (it's the capital of Turks & Caicos) but they built the cruiseport facility and it's quite rare for ships from other lines to make port there. I'll be there on a Royal ship next Feb.' date=' though. :o

Do wish Carnival would go there more often or develop its own private island.

There are reports that Carnival is building a new dockable port on Grand Bahama Island. It'll be a while, but it'd be nice to have a new option in the area that's less susceptible to wind, water and waves.

HMC and Grand Turk are pretty much my all-time favorite ports of call, and they've been in the itineraries of my last four Carnival cruises. (Haven't always made it to HMC, though.)

If mobility is a serious issue for you, you might want to consider Cabana #1. It is the only cabana that is handicapped accessible with a ramp. Since you have a disability, I'd suggest emailing shoreexcursions@Carnival.com with your sailing info and reservation number and see if they can reserve #1 for you in advance. If they can, KEEP THEIR EMAIL and bring it with you when you check in for your cabana on board. I'd suggest hurrying to the ShoreEx desk ASAP on general principles, just in case they try to give it away to someone else.

If your mobility issue is less serious I'd suggest any cabana out to #10; beyond that and you're getting a bit far from the BBQ buffet, although there are bathrooms behind #9. I've had #9 and #11 in the past and loved it. Floaty mats and snorkeling gear will be provided and it's a great way to spend your day. The tram that runs behind the cabanas on the road will pick you up if they have room when they encounter you. It was not handicapped accessible the last time I was there.

Oooh! Oooh! Mr. Kotter! Mr. Kotter! :D

let's see....

Half Moon Cay -- real name: Little San Salvador -- owned by Holland America Line

Great Stirrup Cay -- real name: same thing! -- owned by Norwegian (it's next to CocoCay)

Princess Cay -- real name: Eleuthera -- part of it is owned by Princess. I'm pretty sure they don't own the entire island. :)

Grand Turk -- real name: Grand Turk -- not owned by Carnival (it's the capital of Turks & Caicos) but they built the cruiseport facility and it's quite rare for ships from other lines to make port there. I'll be there on a Royal ship next Feb., though. :o

There are reports that Carnival is building a new dockable port on Grand Bahama Island. It'll be a while, but it'd be nice to have a new option in the area that's less susceptible to wind, water and waves.

Pellaz - thank you! I think I'll pass on Cabin #1 since I don't really need a ramp - I just can't stand too long. This is such a great place to get information. I never would have known to go to the Excursions Desk as soon as we get on the ship to choose a cabin. And since I've bought FTTF for the first time, we should have good choices available. Really need to be close to potty since I am slow getting around - don't want to turn the beautiful blue Caribbean waters green.

Pellaz - thank you! I think I'll pass on Cabin #1 since I don't really need a ramp - I just can't stand too long.

Wise choice. #1 is right in the thick of things and sometimes people will just "wander in." There have been occasional reports of people's stuff (or freebie refreshments) being messed with if they weren't there. There are signs saying "Private Cabana" but they are often ignored, especially at the cabanas closer to the tender pier.

This is such a great place to get information. I never would have known to go to the Excursions Desk as soon as we get on the ship to choose a cabin. And since I've bought FTTF for the first time, we should have good choices available.

Reserving a good cabana location at HMC is one of the biggest reasons I've gotten FTTF on my Carnival cruises. All thanks to CruiseCritic, too. Without all the info about cabanas on here I'd never have opted to get one in the first place. I've only made it to HMC 2 times out of 5, and both times I had a cabana. (The three failures: 1 cabana, 1 Private Oasis (that one hurt), and one 2-story villa.)

Really need to be close to potty since I am slow getting around - don't want to turn the beautiful blue Caribbean waters green.

Go for one of the cabanas between 8-11, then. Nice and close to the bathrooms.

I agree, 8-11 sound ideal for you. And it does seem the further down you are the less other people try to randomly walk in your cabana or use the floats, although we had a clueless guy try to use the shower in 12 lol... it is also fortunate they don't put the chemical in the water that does turn it green at the presence of a certain other liquid :D

One sticking point for many cruisers, if I can add, for people who purchase the Cheers package for their cruise....Cheers IS NOT honored on HMC....you can use your S&S card to purchase drinks, but it is paid on a per drink basis

Carnival should really include the drinks on HMC in the Cheers package since it's their island and they are bringing over everything on the boat just like you were on the boat.

Princess Cay -- real name: Eleuthera -- part of it is owned by Princess. I'm pretty sure they don't own the entire island. clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Grand Turk -- real name: Grand Turk -- not owned by Carnival (it's the capital of Turks & Caicos) but they built the cruiseport facility and it's quite rare for ships from other lines to make port there. I'll be there on a Royal ship next Feb., though

And for today's lesson: CAY is pronounced KEY! :D

Grand Turk -- real name: Grand Turk -- not owned by Carnival (it's the capital of Turks & Caicos) but they built the cruiseport facility and it's quite rare for ships from other lines to make port there. I'll be there on a Royal ship next Feb., though

And for today's lesson: CAY is pronounced KEY! :D

Yep. What I usually do is pronounce it "key" when it's the actual place-name, and "cay" when it's a made-up name, like CocoCay or Castaway Cay. :halo: