Any excursion wheelchair accessible?

emt6121

My mom, who is a recent below the knee amputee on her left leg, is going on a cruise with us in August to Yucatan and Cozumel. I have looked through the excursions and see some have medical restrictions but none say they have wheelchair accessibility or no wheelchairs, etc. I know the only things she will be able to do are probably sight seeing tours but how do I find out if they allow/accommodate wheelchairs? She may have her temporary prosthetic by then but will probably still use her wheelchair a lot.

My mom, who is a recent below the knee amputee on her left leg, is going on a cruise with us in August to Yucatan and Cozumel. I have looked through the excursions and see some have medical restrictions but none say they have wheelchair accessibility or no wheelchairs, etc. I know the only things she will be able to do are probably sight seeing tours but how do I find out if they allow/accommodate wheelchairs? She may have her temporary prosthetic by then but will probably still use her wheelchair a lot.

Hi there

If you are looking at Carnival excursions, just call them, and ask. If you are looking at a private tour, I would do the same thing, either call or email them. They are most often very helpful and will tell you exactly what is available. If you are just planning a day at the beach, there would be no problem putting a folding wheelchair into the trunk of a taxi. The only time we have had issues was on some islands bringing a wheelchair on a public bus.

Be sure to go to the port of call threads on this ste, where you will find more information for each of the islands that you will be visiting. As you get closer to August you will have a better understanding of your mother's strength and ability.

hope this helps, good luck

have a great cruise

Cozumel has a number of handicap accessible taxi vans. When we took my mother there on a cruise, we were able to book a handicap van tour for the day. We just went to the taxis at the cruise terminal and asked. This was a couple of years ago and I believe they told us they had 6 handicap taxi vans for the island. We had a wonderful tour of the island. My parents were very pleased.