Reality on an early season Alaska cruise- your experiences?

My partner and I usually go on vacations that are like the opposite of cruising- so cruising is something that my good friend and I do every couple of years. Next year I turn 40 and one of the things I wanted to do was to go on a vacation alone. I chose a cruise to Alaska on April 28th.

I would love to hear your experiences with the early Alaska cruises (late April to mid May.) on the pearl or similar class ships. I'm splurging on a balcony, and with paying for double occupancy and also committing to splurge on more spa services than usual, i can't really splurge on a later, more expensive sailing. Plus my birthday is in April!

Specifically I am curious how the sun decks get used (surely no one is lounging in a bikini, but are people there? Are they wearing ski caps poolside? How about the pools? Are they used? Heated?

Will I wish I am dead if I have breakfast on my balcony in the morning?

In general, are the rooms warm? I've only ever had to cool them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DW and I typically go in September. The weather patterns and temperatures are comparable to May. The southeast Alaska region is obviously prone to sudden changes in conditions... sunny one moment, rain the next, maybe some snow.

The pool decks and sundecks do get used, sure, but obviously its not the Caribbean. People seem to dress according to where they're from. Someone from Florida will be more bundled up than someone from North Dakota.

The staterooms can be whatever you'd like. They are warm and comfortable.

I like sharing this pic whenever the topic of pool decks in Alaska comes up. It seems to dispel some myths. It was taken after leaving Ketchikan.

ak-pool-day.jpg

We haven't gone as early in the season as you, but each time my daughter has cruised Alaska (3 times) she been in the pool. That said, she was usually there alone. LOL. You'll find people on deck as they're often there looking at the scenery or for wildlife.

People hear Alaska and they immediately think they'll be freezing. As trip said, that may depend on where they're from. The only times I've needed a hat, scarf, and gloves on an Alaska voyage was when we were on the water in a smaller boat--in Tracy Arm on a catamaran or on a whale watch or salmon fishing. I've sometimes worn gloves on my balcony on glacier-viewing days. It'll all just depend on the weather. I've been there when it's chilly and I bundled up and I've been there when the temp hit 80 degrees and broke records!

We sailed mid May two years ago on the Jewel. We had mostly sunny days and high 50's low 60's. Lots of snow capped mountains, it was beautiful. My kids went in the pool while we were in Juneau and there were a lot of people out on deck. You really never know what the start or end of Alaska season weather will be like, we had great weather though. Prepare for anything though.

Our May experience in Alaska on the Noordam, including Denali, was 50's and 60's most days. In Juneau, our excursion was unable to go into Tracy Arm because it was still iced in, and went to Endicott arm instead. That was spectacular! The next day in Skagway, the sun was out and the temp was in the 70's. We had a balcony too, and it was great for whale and orca watching, and for Glacier Bay! Breakfast? it will depend on the day. The sliding dome over the pool was closed most of the time.

We have done the Alaska trip a few times, both at the beginning and at the end of the season. We have had relatively good weather every time. Last year we were on the balcony in shorts and tee shirt, for about an hour until it rained. Buy the spa pass it is worth the extra cost.

As a previous answer indicated; it depends where you are from. We were in Anchorage prior to a cruisetour and the outside temp was about 60 to 65. I was in the elevator with my shorts and short sleeve shirt (I am from Michigan) when a couple stepped in dressed in foul weather gear. I asked them where they were from and they said "Florida". 'nuff said.

We have done the Alaska trip a few times, both at the beginning and at the end of the season. We have had relatively good weather every time. Last year we were on the balcony in shorts and tee shirt, for about an hour until it rained. Buy the spa pass it is worth the extra cost.

Definitely buying the spa pass! It's actually none of the reasons I am going alone- I want to pamper myself, and hard to make the spa pass worth it when you are with other people who aren't as interested or into hanging out alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a previous answer indicated; it depends where you are from. We were in Anchorage prior to a cruisetour and the outside temp was about 60 to 65. I was in the elevator with my shorts and short sleeve shirt (I am from Michigan) when a couple stepped in dressed in foul weather gear. I asked them where they were from and they said "Florida". 'nuff said.

I'm a New Jerseyan/New Yorker. I'm good :) Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk