Pre-teens on board

gigem_aggies

As my 12-year-old daughter would say, "What happens to these kids when they go to college?" Yes, I know that feels like a long time from now, but it's really not that long, and they are going to have a whole lot more independence than going to Lido for some pizza. IMO it's actually safer in the long run to teach kids to be independent and confident. Now, some 13-year-old girls might be exploring some new behaviors that would make them at risk on a ship, and only you know your child. But if you trust your child to make good decisions, this might be an opportunity to let her spread her wings. If you're uncomfortable about hallways, make strict rules about staying in the public areas -- maybe tell her Lido and higher decks only. No one is going to push her off the ship unless she's sitting on the railing at 1 a.m.

Don't get me wrong....I'm not saying that she won't be allowed to go get some food, or go to a store to look around by herself....But when it comes to free reign of the ship by herself, it's a different story. Public areas are a different story. Would I be at the pool and let her go back to the room on her own? No. But if I'm at the pool and she's hungry? Fine. Get food. AND it would be a whole different story if we were going with friends that had kids her age and I knew the kids and she could go as a group. BUT never cruising with kids before, I need to get there, have a feel for the area, and I would want to meet the kids that she is wanting to hang out with.

It has nothing to do with not trusting her as she is a "good kid", but it's not trusting other people. NOW, if I compare it to camping......I usually start out saying not to go anywhere without me, and when I get comfortable and start knowing my own surroundings and the other people around us I lighten up. It's just a fear of the unknown.

Call me overprotective but I already told my 13 year old she will not be leaving or going anywhere without supervision. It's my first cruise with kids, but I don't let her roam in a hotel, I'm certainly not letting her roam on a ship! It;s not her I'm worried about. She is a great kid. I'm worried about people that can open their room doors and just pull her in and I'd never know. I'm worried that she could get pushed overboard. I know, I know. I'm a worry wart. But I'd rather be safe than sorry!

I totally agree!!! [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums