Embarkation strategies for Golden Princess in San Juan

bicycledude

I'd appreciate the boards collective advice and wisdom regarding the most pleasant embarkation experience. My only other previous cruise was from Miami on NCL and we had to wait hours in line - something I'd like to avoid. I've got no status with Princess and am not staying in the expensive seats - just a regular pleb.

The cruise documents state that embarkation can be done from 12 - 9pm, but recommends that we come after 2 for shorter lines. Do they recommend that for everyone ? If so then it seems like it would be a bad idea to get there at 2 then. I was also thinking that showing up early (ie, before 12) would also be a bad idea since there will be a lot of people who want to get on early or the cruise line might want to process the passengers with status first. Does this all make sense ? Assuming my reasoning is sound and the fact I'd like to see a bit of San Juan before departure, I'm thinking that embarking in the evening might be best, say 6 or 7. Will the lines have died down by then ? Is there any downside to boarding so late ?

A related question is where to stock up on needed supplies before embarking. I would want to get last minute stuff plus soda, beer, snacks and maybe some wine. Is there a market in walking distance from the ship ?

This board is great and I appreciate all of the advice so freely given.

i've done that cruise 5 times with princess and the most i've waited at peak times was 30 minutes to get on. sometimes the platinum line is just as long as the others so dont' worry about your status, they board by decks on the regular lines. the last one i did in april i got there at 1:30 and there was no one on line...but of course it depends on when large groups come in. Princess is very good at this process so don't worry....at 6 or 7 you should have no line at all. if you want to see san juan you may want to check in early and then walk around afterwards. hope that helps!

We were on the Golden Princess in April, flew in the day before and stayed at the Caribe Hilton. On embarkation day, we went with out luggage over to the ship about noon. There was no line to check in, we were in our cabins about 15 minutes later. We had lunch and toured the ship, then got off and took a taxi into Old San Juan for some sightseeing. When we returned, about 4:00, there was a good size line waiting to board, but there was a separate line for returning passengers so we just breezed right past. Sailaway isn't until 11:00 so there is plenty of time to explore before you need to be back.

We arrived at about 2 o'clock and there was no line at all. We just walked right up to the counter . This was the only cruise this has ever happened to us. I like the idea of getting off the ship and exploring Old San Juan. I wish we would have done that.

Cynbar- We are staying at the Caribe Hilton for our December 10th Golden voyage. How far to the pier from the hotel? Arriving the day prior to sailing, any recommendations of things to do in port? We will also be staying at the Intercontinental for two days when we return. Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Traveling with husband, 16 year old son and 70 year old in-laws. Thanks for any advice.

Hilton to port, 1-2 miles, easy cab ride 5-10 minutes to either Pan Am pier or main piers in Old SJ.

Visit the fort (El Morro) and then walk around Old SJ, shop and take a break at Hotel El Convento.

Intercon is in Isle Verde close to the airport, 7-8 minutes by cab, 20 min from the piers.

San Juan is a great city/port, enjoy.

Susan -- we arrived at the Caribe on the afternoon before our cruise, there was plenty to do there so we didn't venture out at all. We sat by the pool, walked on the beach and went into the water, walked along the shoreside walk, then ate at one of the hotel restaurants, the one that offers outdoors, poolside seating, Saturday night. We were tired after our flight so we went to bed early, got up and walked around the grounds and had breakfast, then called for a taxi and checked in at the ship. Cab ride was about 5 minutes, not far at all, and we could see our ship from the hotel, also the Saturday ships departing the night before. The taxi into Old San Juan the next day was longer, not too expensive although I don't remember the exact price. We had the taxi drop us off at El Morro, toured that and then walked into town until we got tired and looked for a taxi to get us back to the ship. Here is a link to our webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/cynbar101 The first few are of the Caribe Hilton, the view rorm our balcony, and our tour of El Morro.

Three weeks ago we arrived at the Old San Juan Pier #4 around 11:00 am after making a mistake of going to the Pan American pier where we embarked from last year. It really was no big deal to get to the downtown pier just 5 minutes away. This was their first time back to San Juan from Britian and New York over the summer and there was a little bit of confusion with those people disembarking and the people trying to get on the boat.

The area to get dropped off by taxi and get picked up by taxi is indeed very small yet both the Princess reps(there were many around) and the taxi drivers did a very good job communicating with each other. Baggage handlers were still helping those disembarking so my wife and myself wheeled our luggage up to the door, about a 50 yard walk and we told by a rep to place our luggage in the bins along the walkway.

Once in the terminal we were told they were running a bit late as it was their first time back in San Juan in a number of months and there were some new people working in various positions. We waited in line to check in for about 15 minutes then were told we couldn't enter the ship yet for about an hour, while they still cleaned up. There is a duty free liquor shop on the 2nd floor where you check in for alcohol and cigarettes only. The people there stated what almost everyone knew already. Place your purchases inside your carryon and they will not be confiscated.

Well one hour turned out to be only twenty minutes and my wife and myself were one of the first 10 people on board and we were in the pool drinking by 12:30 p.m.

Enjoy your cruise and if anything else comes up just ask. :cool:

Archived