NY in Jan-HELP for a So CA native :)

Lizzybell

Dear Ladies-I need help!!! I have been given the opp to go to NY city this Jan for 3 days w/sis(whos working a conference). I have never to NY & have always dreamed of going-i will be on my own for 1 1/2 days. I am planning on walking @ the city-but, heres the stupid question-will I be able to w/snow? I am clueless!

Never really spent anytime in snow & my warbrobe is "warm weather". I have the standards-hats, gloves & warm scarf-but I need a long, winter coat-any suggestions?? I am also "bootless"-help !! I can only afford to buy 1 pair-do i get rain or snow boots-or something else?? What should i pack for 3 days??? I have been thinking of getting a pair of UGGS, are these suitable for snow??

I am doing this on a budget as my 3yr lab just had major TPLO$$surgery-so i am counting all pennies & the trip isnt free(just the hotel)-but i could not pass up the opportunity to see NY for the 1st time : Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated as to packing and what not to miss(having only 3 days) @ NY-we are staying at the Marriott downtown.

Thanks much,

Liz

I would suggest buying a long black wool coat off ebay or somewhere else inexpensively. Black will not show dirt and will age well.

Boots: You will need low heel leather boots with a rubber, not leather sole. These will keep out the moisture and keep your feet off the pavement.

The weather in January in NYC is a crapshoot. It may snow, it may be 60 degrees. If it does snow, it will be pretty for a few minutes then turn into black slush; hence the need for the black coat.

Skip the Uggs unless you would wear them in California. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan but a stylish pair of black boots will take you more places than big pink Uggs. You can wear them with nice skirts or pants.

I'm sure Jane can add more. BTW, I don't live in NYC, I just spend a lot of time there.

Yes to the hat, gloves, and scarf.

HI Liz,

As BlueHeron's says, the weather in NY in January is a real crapshoot. It could be sunny and 45 degree's warm, or rainy or snowy or it could get a cold snap and be zero degree's with a sub-zero windchill factor.

Here are my recommendations so that you can stay in a tight budget, but still be appropriately dressed for the weather.

Do you have any "regular" low heeled shoes or boots to bring and wear? Something you wear with socks....a pair of loafers or a cowboy boot? Bring anything that's comfortable. If it's only cold, and not snowy, then you'll be fine. Of course, if you don't have any, then buy something you can wear at home or on trips to other places. You're going to do a lot of walking here. Us New York woman are used to doing it in high heels, but understand the plight of tourists who live in car society's! LOL!!!

Keep the white sneakers at home unless you don't mind being labeled a tourist. However, if you have a pair of Puma's, by all means, wear them during the day. (preferably black)

Go to one of your local stores where you can return any unworn items. Buy yourself a pair of shearling/faux fur lined boots that either zip or lace up past the ankle.....the higher up on the leg the better. This is what you'll want if it snows heavily.

If it's raining heavily (& we do have some *awful* downpours) you don't want it to ruin your time here by being limited because of the wather. So buy yourself a pair of waterproof shoes or boots. A slip on "bootie" that goes up to the ankle will be comfortable enough for day and dressy enough for a restauarant. I can walk through puddles and my feet stay dry and they clean up beautifully and don't get ruined like leather shoes.

Bring them both here, wear what you need and then return the unworn ones when you get home. You'll have the other pair for the future.

Coats: I'd recommend buying a down or polyfill coat. They're often warmer than wool, much lighter in weight and I think in the long run, will service you more. Wool coats go in and out of style but the style of a basic down coat doesn't change as quickly, so you'll have more longevity. And they cost less than wool. Along with local stores, I'd check catalogs like Eddie Bauer, Lands End or LL Bean. Get one in basic black. And if it has a removable hood, even better, you'll be prepared if it's really bitter cold.

Gloves/scarves: For a scarf, wool or polar fleece are your best bets for warmth. Polar fleece is very cheap, so you might want to buy one of those. Gloves - if you have any of the knit ones.....forget it! Those are pretty.....but pretty useless! You need a pair in leather with one of those high tech linings (gortex?). And remember, you lose 30% of body heat through your head, so wear a hat if it's cold. Last year I bought my niece a polar fleece set - scarf/gloves/headband - for $25.00 in Lord & Taylor. Came in a zillion colors. You might want to look around for something like that.

Lastly, bring a thin cotton camisole to wear under your sweater. That little layer really helps keep the body warm. I have alot of them and wear only almost everyday in the winter.

There's not much to see and do where your hotel is. I assume you're staying there because it's the location of your sister's conference. So plan on taking the subway uptown everyday to get out of that area and see the city. If you buy an unlimited metro card for a week, you can use for all buses & subways. I think they sell a daily unlimited one too. See which one gives you the best value for the 3 days you'll be here. If you buy the week long one, leave the card as part of your tip for your chambermaid when you check-out. She'll appreciate it. You can buy them in any subway stop using cash or credit card.

Have a great time here!

Jane

Liz,

In terms of "what not to miss", it really depends on your interests.

For museums, the newly renovated MOMA (Mus. of Modern Art) (53rd 5th & 6th) is spectacular. If the Russian exhibit is still on at the Guggenheim, (89th & 5th) that's wonderful. The Metropolitan Museum (82nd & 5th) is awesome.

For good wandering, I'd pick a different neighborhood daily and explore it.

One day, if you go to MOMA, you could then also do other midtown places - Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral and Central Park. Other stores in that immediate area are: Bergdorf Goodman, Henri Bendel and Takashimaya. Lunch is hard to find in that area, but next to Sak's on 49th St. is an Au Bon Pain and a Burger Heaven for cheapie lunches. Or you can eat at Sak's, Bergdorf's, Takashimaya or MOMA for something a little nicer. Down under Rock Center is a maze of stores and quickie eating places. Mostly geared to people who work in the area so it's rush rush rush. Of course, NY's famous Sabrett Hot Dog carts are popular. Not my style to stand and eat on the street, but if it's warm, buy one outside Central Park and enjoy one a park bench inside the park.

Another day, do downtown. Soho, The Village, Meatpacking district and Chelsea. Lots of great stores and plenty of places to eat.

Any specific questions? Let me know.

Jane

Lizzybell,

Just came back to add, bring an umbrella. A small folding one that you can keep in your bag is best. You can buy one here for under $5.00 at a discount drugstore/cosmetic shop.

Mimi,

Thanks for your kind words. Despite my love of luxury goods, I'm a very practical person!:)

Jane

I'm in NJ and agreeing with all of Jane's suggestions.....NYC is a great city to visit and there is so much to do, that in your limited time, it might be better to look on the 'net and see what you really want to do. MOMA, the Metropoltin Museum and Rose Space museum are my favorites.

The clothes and shoes suggestions are on point. Have a great time!

Times Square is fun I like it at night as well because of all the lights.

Check out www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/livefridays.html from there you can see other live cams.

Have fun and the walking really isn't bad because the whole time walking there is tons going on.

Of course walking isn't bad. It's wonderful!!:)

Thanks for the webcam. How cool! Funny but yesterday was so warm, some people were in tee shirts and as you can see, today, it's down jackets w/ hoods.

I've got a silly question. Why do tourists like Times Square? I mean what makes it enjoyable? To me, it's just a crowded place I often have to walk through to get to where I'm going. It's got "tourist trap" restaurants that you can probably find in your local mall and some big stores, like Sephora (which I think have nicer shops in Soho and the east side). Unless you're going to the theatre, why would anyone want to go there?

Thanks,

Jane

we stay at the Doubletree suites on Tiems Square - at least for now - because it is sooo different than home - is is busy, noisy and goes all night long - it just seems to have energy - that is for now while we are traveling with teens/young adults...later we will probably opts for a more refined environment ...\

that said, I do love the restaurant, Terra (?) at the Metropolitan museum - love the food and looking out onto Central Park which is so peaceful

we stay at the Doubletree suites on Times Square - at least for now - because it is sooo different than home - is is busy, noisy and goes all night long - it just seems to have so much energy - that is for now while we are traveling with teens/young adults...later we will probably opt for a more refined environment ...that said, I do love the restaurant, Terra (?) at the Metropolitan museum - love the food and looking out onto Central Park which is so peaceful

we stay at the Doubletree suites on Tiems Square - at least for now - because it is sooo different than home - is is busy, noisy and goes all night long - it just seems to have energy - that is for now while we are traveling with teens/young adults...later we will probably opts for a more refined environment ...\

Hmmm......isn't it like Beale Street? :)

Jane,

My DD and many friends commute to the city every day. DD wears a suit and heels to work. She like many others, at times wears sneakers and carries her shoes in her tote.

There are many non tourists who do wear sneakers around the city. :eek: Ugly but practical

You guys are all so nice-THANK YOU for all the great suggestions-I am def going for a long black coat & some kind of short boots. Sis is going shopping w/me this weekend for the same thing :) We are staying in mid town at the Sheraton, not the Marriott(i goofed) I pulled up a map-within easy walking distance of Central Park :))).

Jane-Not sure what the draw is for Times Square-but i will be one of 1,000,000's who have seen it-its an Icon, so if i am there, gotta go see it-thanks for the links to the boots-i love both pairs but would wear the 2nd pair quite a bit-even in OC & thanks for the spec answers re clothes&shoes to bring--i will layer for sure.

I love to walk so getting to see NY on foot sounds awesome & huge draw to me-because "Nobody walks in LA". I really enjoy going to cities where you can get around on foot(& with good public transportation)-so far Vancouver, Auckland, San Francisco & Seattle are favs & love the big public parks in those cities-cant wait to see Central Park-any spec suggestions for the best way to see the Park. DM & I did a west coast repo cruise on NCL Star in sept & precruise took the horse drawn trolley ride @ Stanley Park in Vancouver & it was great way to see the huge park & reasonably priced for a 1 hr narrated tour($25ppcanadian)

Thanks to all who responded-i really apprecaite the feedback. sis & i are really excited @ seeing NY!!!!!!! Liz

Jane,

My DD and many friends commute to the city every day. DD wears a suit and heels to work. She like many others, at times wears sneakers and carries her shoes in her tote.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree. There are SO MANY cute style shoes out there with flat soles for those that can't master walking in heels or have troubled feet. I have a few friends who live in the 'burbs and commute in and wear very chic flats walking from their suburban gardens and gravelly train stations to the city.

Those commuters with skirts and sneakers were ugly in the 80's when the look started because of the NYC subway strike, and look even more awful today because of the other options available. The vision of the surban working woman with their mink coats, skirts and sneakers is like chalk on a blackboard for me.

Jane

Hmmm......isn't it like Beale Street? :)

I am not likely to take my 17 yo on Beale at 1 am - am I naive to feel safe in Times Square? Didn't Rudy clean up all the bad guys? Times Square has all those lights

Beale & downtown Memphis have changed lots in 20 years, but it is not where we go - still mostly bars, etc...tho I did take my 20 out of town friends downtown for the Art Trolley, Peabody for the Ducks, Rendevous for BBQ, Wonders Exhibit...

...and he was just agape. He had no words. If you live there, then obviously it is nothing special. If you don't, it is quite special. At night - you just can't beat the brillance and glow. I've been there many times, but this year was the first visit in a while. It really has improved quite a bit. The kids particularly enjoyed the Times Square Hershey store (who am I kidding - I LOVED it! :D ).

We also went to that webcam - I had known about it ahead of time, and gave notice to folks at home that we would call them from there. So we did, and my parents actually watched us online, from back home in Va. We waved at them while talking on the phone - it was the coolest thing. Also they printed the pictures and saved them for us, so we have those as souveniers as well.

Since we walked most everywhere, and we stayed at 56 & 8 (I think that's about where we were) we ended up seeing quite a bit of Times Square each night. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

Times Square is fun I like it at night as well because of all the lights.

Check out www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/livefridays.html from there you can see other live cams.

Have fun and the walking really isn't bad because the whole time walking there is tons going on.

This is really neat!

I've never been to NYC, so this is quite interesting!

Oh..and how are you feeling? How's your recovery coming along???

~e

I've got a silly question. Why do tourists like Times Square? Thanks,

Jane

Jane, tourists like Times Square so much because it was what tourists think New York City is. In most advertising, television shows, movies (think Vanilla Sky), etc, Times Square is what is depicted as being New York.

After all, everyone thinks 'Friends' was shot in New York but in reality was filmed in a studio in LA. How many times have you been asked where the fountain was?

It is also where the big, commercial Broadway Plays are located.

It usually takes tourists a while to figure out how much more there is to do than Times Square.

Lizzybell - You've got a lot of good advice on what to wear / bring. There is a good chance that even if it's "warm" to us it'll still be cold for you. Bring gloves and a scarf. They don't have to be expensive or fancy, but you'll be glad you've got them. Even if it snows, there is a a really good chance the sidewalks will be clear and there will still be a million people on them.

Have a great time!

...and he was just agape. He had no words. If you live there, then obviously it is nothing special. If you don't, it is quite special. At night - you just can't beat the brillance and glow. I've been there many times, but this year was the first visit in a while. It really has improved quite a bit. The kids particularly enjoyed the Times Square Hershey store (who am I kidding - I LOVED it! :D ).

I can certainly understand that!

We also went to that webcam - I had known about it ahead of time, and gave notice to folks at home that we would call them from there. So we did, and my parents actually watched us online, from back home in Va. We waved at them while talking on the phone - it was the coolest thing.

Now THAT is a REALLY cool thing to do! I think the next time I'm going to be in that neighborhood, I'll call one of my out of town friends and we'll sync up a hello wave! :D

Since we walked most everywhere, and we stayed at 56 & 8 (I think that's about where we were) we ended up seeing quite a bit of Times Square each night. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

Please, don't get the idea that I don't think Times Square isn't worth seeing if you have time here. And from a taxi, going home at night, seeing the lights is fun. Very much like Picadilly Circus in London. It's just that I see so many tourists milling about, I just wonder what they're doing, if not going to the theatre.

We're glad you visitors all enjoy Times Square. We built if just for you!:D

Jane

Jane, tourists like Times Square so much because it was what tourists think New York City is. In most advertising, television shows, movies (think Vanilla Sky), etc, Times Square is what is depicted as being New York.

I'm sure you're right.

After all, everyone thinks 'Friends' was shot in New York but in reality was filmed in a studio in LA. How many times have you been asked where the fountain was?

While I liked the show, I always thought the apt was a joke. That apt would be about $6000. a month in rent. Even with two people sharing, it's too expensive for a girl who works in a coffee shop! LOL!

In reality, they'd more likely share an apt that looked like Ralph Kramden's of the Honeymooners!

Jane

Archived