Breakaway Questions from NCL First Timer

cidymom

This will be my first NCL cruise. I have some questions for the experts on this board: (1) do I need a lanyard to carry my ship card? or does NCL have the watches like Royal Caribbean? (2) I read NCL does not serve Coca Cola products on board. Can you bring your own on board? I read that you can't bring water any more so does that apply to soft drinks too? (3) I read on this board that you won't know until about 2 days out whether your upgrade bid is accepted or not. Does NCL email new luggage tags if bid is successful? I put in 2 bids but I'm leaving a week early to vacation in NYC first so was wondering what happens to luggage tags if you are successful on the bid process. Does everyone get an email telling them whether they were successful on their bids or not? I've never come across this before and it's hard to plan in advance. Thanks all.

This will be my first NCL cruise. I have some questions for the experts on this board: (1) do I need a lanyard to carry my ship card? or does NCL have the watches like Royal Caribbean?

No wrist bands. No lanyards provided. The cruise cards are not punched for lanyards (but you can request they poke a hole in your card at guest services).

(2) I read NCL does not serve Coca Cola products on board. Can you bring your own on board? I read that you can't bring water any more so does that apply to soft drinks too?

No coke. No beverages of any kind can be brought on board (with the exception of bottled wine which can be brought on board by paying a corkage fee).

(3) I read on this board that you won't know until about 2 days out whether your upgrade bid is accepted or not. Does NCL email new luggage tags if bid is successful? I put in 2 bids but I'm leaving a week early to vacation in NYC first so was wondering what happens to luggage tags if you are successful on the bid process.

Only suites guests get pre-printed luggage tags. Everyone else clicks on the link in their eDocs and prints their own luggage tags. If you are a successful bidder you can (1) print your own luggage tag (at a hotel kiosk if you are leaving early) or (2) just have the porter at the port fill out a hand-written tag for you.

Does everyone get an email telling them whether they were successful on their bids or not?

The new system is suppose to notify you of successful and unsuccessful bids. You can always watch your credit card and MyNCL account a few days before your cruise to see if you have been upgraded.

I've never come across this before and it's hard to plan in advance. Thanks all.

Have a great cruise!