Mariners' Perks........

sail7seas

In regard to Jim's idea, there is one thing for sure. If HAL was to use this idea, once they set 'the qualifying number', they are either guaranteed repeat business or they don't have to pay off. Not a bad idea at all! After all, think of all the money that this particular Mariner would have to pay to HAL before HAL has to pay back. (Such is the case with so many Mariners already!) And, although we know that often the ship is full, many times it is NOT. Why not use that empty cabin/suite as a thank you to their qualifying loyal passenger? On average, I think HAL will STILL come out way ahead!

Another idea using points besides upgrading from an outside cabin to a suite would be to upgrade same category level to a longer cruise, such as from a 7 day cruise to a 10 day cruise.

Another benefit that I always get on-board Princess is a $50.00 on-board credit, in addition to any other credits, because I am Elite. On Princess, the top 25 to 30 cruisers (based on number of Princess Cruise days) are selected to attend a special Captain's Lunch. The lunch menu is really very nice.

The top three cruisers/couples (based on number of Princess Cruise days) are also recognized and awarded at the Repeaters party. The top three are given a bottle of champagne, crystal piece that is very nice and a photo with the Captain and the Hostess.

These benefits are not published as part of the level (Platinum or Elite) and are awarded regardless of cabin category. On Princess, depending on the cruise and passengers, I have seen some people attend the Captain's Lunch with under 200 days. There are times where an Elite (16 cruises or more) may not attend the luncheon if a Platinum passenger (less than 16 cruises) may have more actual days regardless of the number of cruises.

I have 23 cruises (over 200 days) with HAL and would love to see some of this provided to those passengers that are the top cruisers on-board.

Happy Cruising!

I would NOT like to see them consider all days sailed on all of the 'Carnival Family of Ships.' Imo, it is about having sailed HAL a certain number of days. Only about HAL.

Princess has it's own program....which is quite stunning from what is printed here.

Carnival does whatever it does.

Costa, Cunard....etc etc

This is only about HAL Mariners IMO

Definitely agree with you sail7seas - let the others do as they wish. We are not about to switch to another line just for the perks!

My guess is that one reason there aren't better rewards for repeaters is because the number of repeaters are so large. Jim's idea is good for those with large number of days but it does not encourage first time cruisers to repeat. Neither does their current rewards. But if HAL continues along the same path there may be a day they will be hurting themselves. It's a DAM if you do and DAM if you don't situation. Some of ideas are good but there has to be limits. The other thing is there is a large portion of the Baby Boom generation that is just coming into the age where the kids are out on their own and now the vacation dollars are there to finally take that cruise. HAL, and everyother line, wants these newely freed up Baby Boomers to sail with HAL and then want to entice that first time cruiser to take their next cruise with HAL, maybe even more then the old time cruiser (after all, someone with 100 days on a cruiseline is brand loyal and they can count on your money). Business object is to lure the first time cruiser and make them build loyalty. So give the best benifits to the newbie and raise them only slightly to keep them coming back and yet don't snub your loyal customer but don't give away the ship is a fine line. Say with HALs repeat rate they have 900 people per cruise week that are repeats per ship. Give them the average of $200 shipboard credits (those with fewer days get less then those with more days but the average would be $200 per person.) That's $180,000 per week per ship, multipy that by 52 weeks and then again by 13 ships and shipboard credits have just cost HAL $121,680,000.00 per year in revenue. Talk about getting a stock holders attention! I guess what I'm saying is that because of the current market situation with newbee cruisers and the large number of Mariners, HAL could not compete if they offered greater benifits to the Mariners.

While I agree that repeat customers need to be rewarded fairly and faithfully according to extent of loyalty, the market can't always do what may be fair.

I will be in the minority here with my opinion.

In a period of rising fuel and labor prices every cruise line out there is in a squeeze to make the profit that their stockholders require of them.

I would prefer that instead of spending alot on individual perks keep things as they are and do their best to keep the prices REASONABLE. Notice I did not say cheap.

We don't go back to HAL for the perks of the discounts. We go back because of the service and the people on the ships.

Jim & Ruth

We don't go back to HAL for the perks of the discounts. We go back because of the service and the people on the ships.

I agree, Jim. We don't return to HAL because of discounts but I've never had anything against a good discount. It wouldn't offend me in the least ;) if they were to offer a better discount every now and then predicated upon 'loyalty'.

Archived